Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

He made her out to be a complete control freak (I read it) If things went well, she was ok. If anything went wrong, watch out! There's a Thanksgiving dinner scene in there where Marlo goes off the rails about something with all her family there that's pretty scary if true.

The anecdote about them going thirty miles out in a deep fog on a yacht with PHIL DONAHUE  as CAPTAIN when he had NO CERTIFICATION OR EXPERIENCE is good too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

There is no evidence that she even cried. This is a story perpetuated by her daughter in law AFTER Loretta died.

That's true it doesn't appear Young ever came forward with an accusation. That Buzzfeed article implies Edward Funk (the would be biographer) corroborates, but it's not definitive. 

I also find the "walking mortal sin" story dubious. It's clear there was a an emotional period there for Judy, and a book deal. Never a good combination.

• Thanks 1

I mean...as far as names parents may call their children during the heat of conflict go, “Walking mortal sin” is quite frankly rather tame compared to some I’ve heard...

...from my very own Mother in fact.

(And just last week!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Does she follow your posts here?

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Walking mortal sin” is quite frankly rather tame compared to some I’ve heard...

Not to mention the child couldn't be the sin. The result of, perhaps.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I mean...as far as names parents may call their children during the heat of conflict go, “Walking mortal sin” is quite frankly rather tame compared to some I’ve heard...

(And just last week!)

Coming soon to the Dark City Community Theater.

Tennessee Williams' Suddenly, Last Summer, starring Lorna and his mother.

(...sorry Lorna, just couldn't resist...although with that terrific sense of humor of yours, I knew you'd get a kick out of this one)  ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...sorry Lorna, just couldn't resist...although with that terrific sense of humor of yours, I knew you'd get a kick out of this one)  ;)

I'll buy tickets! I'm all for supporting local talent. It might help me later on the Meeting Classic Stars in Person thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, Dargo said:

“LORNA AND HIS MOTHER” would make a great title!!!!!!!

(I gotta use that for something someday!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Aren't children born with original sin?

It is removed from them through the act of Baptism, I've been told.

No Baptism - no removal? The child remains in a state of sin?

All of this seems predicated upon the acknowledgment that we were all born of our own free will, does it not?

• Like 1

I watched The Unfaithful (1947), a Warner Bros. updating of The Letter which gave Ann Sheridan a meatier dramatic role than had previously been the case in the majority of her films for the studio. A slick, respectable crime drama, I thought, even if it lacks the atmosphere, great visuals and memorable dramatics of the William Wyler production.

Another Old Movie Blog: The Unfaithful - 1947

Sheridan was quite good in the role of a society woman who kills a man that barges into her home one night. There is an initial investigation into the case and it seems like a cut and dried case of self defence. She tells the investigators she didn't know the man but then evidence appears that contracts that and, well, if you've seen The Letter you've got a good idea of where the story is headed.

Aside from Ann, however, I was also struck by how good Zachory Scott was in the sympathetic role as her loving but naive husband. It couldn't have been more of a contrasting part to that of the slimy effete cad he had just played in Mildred Pierce. That, plus his lovely down-to-earth portrayal of a hard working dirt poor farmer in Jean Renoir's The Southerner, also just done recently, makes you appreciate what a good actor Scott was and the range of roles he was capable of playing. Most noir fans just think of him as a cad but he could be more than that. It's a shame that this actor only had a handful of good interesting roles in the first two or three of his career before he left Warners and started getting a lot of mundane film projects and roles of little distinction during the '50s.

I noticed the mixed reviews that Guilty Bystander got from many on this thread a few weeks ago but, again, I thought Scott was quite effective in the role of an alcoholic ex-cop stumblingly trying to get his kid back after being kidnapped. That may well have been the last role of any real note in his career though the film itself disappeared quickly after its 1950 release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 37kitties said:

All if this seems predicated upon the acknowledgment that we were all born of our own free will, does it not?

I was raised an EPISCOPALIAN and we spend absolutely NO TIME on SIN and/or THE DEVIL, which disappointed me as a child, but now I think it's REALLY the way to go.

As a rule of thumb, I TRY not to cast aspersions on religion (in general) but Catholics are taught to FIXATE on the ODDEST THINGS that, forgive me, I don't think there IS MUCH NUTRITIVE VALUE in FIXATING UPON. 

• Like 3

Sorry I got caught up in the ALGERIAN IVY and I forgot to mention...

IF I was ever a hooker, I would be one of those HIGH CLASS HOOKERS that you have to call a PHONE SERVICE FOR.

and I would look like this:

See the source image

And I would have been waiting outside in the Limo as THE DRIVER was inside the store getting whatever it was I needed.

And that's all the news that's fit to print...

• Haha 2

also,

various people have mentioned not liking the scene where LORETTA takes the time to DOLL HERSELF UP immediately after her husband buys it and before she is off on her quest to catch Mr. Postman.

THIS IS THE REALEST SCENE LORETTA YOUNG EVER PLAYED IN HER LIFE and I LOVE IT.

It is is the LYNCHPIN of the whole movie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry, I forgot this last weekend, to make a mention of JENNIFER WARREN in NIGHT MOVES (1975)

See the source image

it was a very naturalistic, relaxed performance- TOTALLY free of vanity. 1970s casual, breezy all the way...she reminded me a little of CHRISSY in JAWS, but then I remembered where it was that i had seen her...in the 1984 movie MUTANT which is as bad as you would think and which I only saw because it was featured on RIFFTRAX.

The IMDB TRIVIA section for NIGHT MOVES does her a disservice with an ambiguously written entry that makes it seem as though she may have been dubbed by JANE FONDA, she was not. That is her voice.

I liked her a lot in the film, she was- with the exception of that marvelously staged finale of which she was a critical part- the best thing in it.

See the source image

• Like 2

i also forgot to copy and paste this fascinating IMDB TRIVIA entry for CUTTER'S WAY:

Before the production started on this film, Ivan Passer and producer Paul R. Gurian went to Jeff Bridges' house to ask him if he would agree to play Bone. After both entered Bridges' property, the actor's dog, a big German shepherd, attacked Gurian, biting him on the jaw. Gurian nearly died. Bridges later confessed that, after this incident, he had no choice but to accept the role in order to avoid being sued for several million dollars

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Does she follow your posts here?

Transferring her guilt onto her child. I'm sure she meant well, but Loretta should have let the child be adopted by others. Better for all concerned.

52 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Sorry I got caught up in the ALGERIAN IVY and I forgot to mention...

IF I was ever a hooker, I would be one of those HIGH CLASS HOOKERS that you have to call a PHONE SERVICE FOR.

and I would look like this:

See the source image

And I would have been waiting outside in the Limo as THE DRIVER was inside the store getting whatever it was I needed.

And that's all the news that's fit to print...

Classy! :D

39 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i also forgot to copy and paste this fascinating IMDB TRIVIA entry for CUTTER'S WAY:

Before the production started on this film, Ivan Passer and producer Paul R. Gurian went to Jeff Bridges' house to ask him if he would agree to play Bone. After both entered Bridges' property, the actor's dog, a big German shepherd, attacked Gurian, biting him on the jaw. Gurian nearly died. Bridges later confessed that, after this incident, he had no choice but to accept the role in order to avoid being sued for several million dollars

OMG!!!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(And just last week!)

My old man dropped out of school in the sixth grade during the Great Depression to help feed his five sisters and brother by working in the Kentucky and West Virginia coal mines. Two days after the attack on Pearl Harbor he found the local recruiting station and signed up for the army going on to serve in the Pacific (That's right. Being shot at was a more attractive scenario than going down into the mines).  So his vocabulary and phrasing was colorful to say the least. More than a few of the things I was called by him during my escapades would have hurt my feelings...if they weren't so impressively inventive 

• Like 5

"A slick, respectable crime drama, I thought, even if it lacks the atmosphere, great visuals and memorable dramatics of the William Wyler production." 

I disagree, The Letter, was all studio back lot fake jungle. The other film has a lot of gritty, seedy Bunker Hill and Angels Flight.

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

I noticed the mixed reviews that Guilty Bystander got from many on this thread a few weeks ago but, again, I thought Scott was quite effective in the role of an alcoholic ex-cop stumblingly trying to get his kid back after being kidnapped. That may well have been the last role of any real note in his career though the film itself disappeared quickly after its 1950 release.

Nice write-up,  Tom,  and nice praise for Zachary Scott.  He's an actor I used to be a bit dismissive of,  used to not like him that much.  Over the years,  and with further viewings of his work,  I've come to change my mind about him, and now respect him a lot more than I used to.  (Although I'll still never understand why he was presented as a "hot" male actor;  I may have changed my mind about his talent,  but not about his lack of charisma- at least,  for me.)

Not to nitpick,  and it kind of doesn't matter a whole lot,  but just to clarify:  you say  Scott's character in Guilty Bystander is trying to "get his kid back after being kidnapped".   Quite likely you  already knew, and meant,  Scott's character   thinks his child has been kidnapped.  Actually, as it turns out,  quite anti-climactically,  the little boy was never kidnapped and never in any danger.  The "where is my son,  is he in danger?"  thing is all just a McGuffin.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, 37kitties said:

All if this seems predicated upon the acknowledgment that we were all born of our own free will, does it not?

The Catholicism for Dummies says you are correct! 

Which would mean that either Judy Lewis was not Baptized or Loretta should have said Judy was a "walking original sin".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
On 7/25/2021 at 1:28 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

WELL, ACTUALLY : I THINK YOU MIGHT JUST BE SURPRISED!!!!

(I apologize for any derailment that may incur by my veering off on this tangent.)

about a month ago, I went to my local grocery store around 6:00 pm to buy some groceries. i checked myself out at the self-checkout (don't know if they have those in CANADA, but they are EVERYWHERE HERE.)

full disclosure- i had been doing yardwork in someone else's yard and was too tired to go home and change, so i did do my shopping in a sweaty sleeveless "wife beater" tee shirt because I work out, Iook damn good for 43 and as long as I'm covered, this is America, I pay my taxes and I am allowed to shop dressed in a floor length ballgown if I so want.

I did not keep my receipt because it is my local grocery store and I am there upwards of 5 times a week, I have shopped there for myself and my family for three decades and spent thousands of dollars in that time,.

on the way out the door, I was physically accosted by the security guard who snatched the cart out of my hands and accused me of stealing. I of course did not have the receipt because I did not keep it.

she then pushed my cart in front of me and blocked my leaving while another employee took my groceries that I HAD PAID FOR away while WHILE THE POLICE WERE CALLED.

I was told to stop lying and when I said "check the system, I paid $41.06 at checkout two" I was told "it ain't gonna be in the system" by a bug-eyed  bag girl who bore a striking resemblance to BENITO MUSSOLINI.

FIVE MINUTES LATER, the manager who REALLY REGRETS TAKING THAT SMOKE BREAK FOR THAT PARTICULAR 15 MINUTES shows up, recognizes me AND GOES AND PRESSES THE BUTTON ON THE MACHINE WHICH INSTANTLY SPITS OUT MY RECEIPT FOR $41.06.

I promptly informed all present that every last inch of my *** could then be kissed and left.

SO...

if that manager had not shown up, they would have absolutely had me arrested by the police, THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD SAY THAT WOULD CONVINCE THEM I WAS INNOCENT

IT WAS DOWNRIGHT KAFKAESQUE.

long ramble ended.

my point being that, as with LORETTA IN "CAUSE FOR ALARM!" ANYONE'S LIFE, LIBERTY AND SAFETY CAN BE SNATCHED AT ANY MOMENT. FATE AND HUMANKIND TOGETHER WILL ABSOLUTELY BAND TOGETHER TO KNOCK YOU ON YOUR BUTT AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN LITTLE UNIVERSES IN WHICH WE ARE IN CHARGE OF OUR DOMAIN, BUT AT SOME POINT, 99.99999% OF US FORFEIT THAT THE MINUTE WE WALK OUT OUR DOOR OR THE MINUTE LUCK THROWS US ONE OF HER PATENDED B!TCH-GODDESS CURVEBALLS.

And there is nothing so galling or unsettling as that lesson to learn about life.

Lorna,  I meant to respond to your story here sooner.  It was such a disturbing one, I had to think about it.  

That is horrible that you were accused of stealing like that,  and that they were all set to call the police etc.  And what would have  happened if the manager hadn't been there that day?     Kafaesque  is right.   

So, yeah,  clearly even actually being innocent isn't always enough  if people think you're guilty.  

By the way....are you planning to keep your receipts from now on, at least til you get home?   (that was not meant to be snarky,  I'm serious.)

• Like 1