Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tequila Sunrise was the best of the bunch, and Ben and Eddie seemed to agree. 

5 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Mel Gibson is a Jew hater.

I don't know if that's true and I would certainly never hold someone to something uttered while stone drunk and angry. Not to mention, if I had a shekel for every time I heard a Jew say something anti-Jewish, I'd die a wealthy man in South Florida.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

In real life, Sean Young is a big of a nut job.

I recall some gossip back then among friends who considered themselves actors. Something about stalking one of the guys she co-starred with in The Boost?

Edit~ Yep, The Boost. Some dust up between her and Woods, but according to Wiki, Young is the one awarded damages. 

1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

Tequila Sunrise was the best of the bunch, and Ben and Eddie seemed to agree. 

That wasn't the impression I got from the two hosts, Moe. Nope, I got the impression that both Ben and Eddie kept making allowances for Tequila Sunrise's inadequacies during their wraparounds for this film and in fact KNEW that they were while doing just that, and primarily because they've both always liked the film.

And while I myself enjoyed watching it last night to some degree, especially and as Ben noted Raul Julia's movie stealing performance in it and not to mention gazing upon the gorgeous Miss Pfeiffer's visage, AND because much of the film was shot in my (and I believe yours too, if I'm not mistaken) old stomping grounds of L.A.'s South Bay beach area, I think THIS film was far from being the best film Eddie and Ben presented during their series.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

That wasn't the impression I got from the two hosts, Moe. Nope, I got the impression that both Ben and Eddie kept making allowances for Tequila Sunrise's inadequacies during their wraparounds for this film and in fact KNEW that they were while doing it, and primarily because they both always liked the film.

And while I myself enjoyed watching it last night to some degree, especially and as Ben noted Raul Julia's movie stealing performance in it and not to mention gazing upon the gorgeous Miss Pfeiffer's visage, AND because much of the film was shot in my (and I believe yours too, if I'm not mistaken) old stomping grounds of L.A.'s South Bay area, I think THIS film was far from being the best film Eddie and Ben presented during their series.

Allow me to fine tune my comment. It was the best of the bunch, tonight.

• Like 1

For those who dig British crime don't forget about THE SQUEEZE (1977-UK).  I don't recall if TCM has ever shown it . . . but it's worth watching at least once.  It's plenty sleeeezy.    Carol White does a striptease number because the bad guys are full of lust and Stacy Keach is forced by the baddies to walk around the streets of London in the altogether.  Good cast, I might add.      

One of Stephen Boyd's last films before his untimely death at age 45 on June 2, 1977.   (I noted that Boyd was very thin over the past couple years of his life; I reckon he should've quit smoking).  

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

Allow me to fine tune my comment. It was the best of the bunch, tonight.

Ya know, after I entered my post, it did dawn on me that perhaps this was what you meant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ya know, after I entered my post, it did dawn of me that perhaps this was what you meant.

I'm trying to recall if they agreed on any of the films being all that good. Body Heat ? I think they both liked that one, and I'd have to say it was probably best over all.

I with they'd shown Mulholland Falls. Although I'm not sure its Neo-Noir. It's more like Post Dated Noir.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I was very upset with Eddie and Ben (especially Ben) for choosing Tequila Sunrise - Mel Gibson is a Jew hater.

Walter Brennan was a racist.

Therefore let's start a campaign for TCM to  never show The Westerner, Sergeant York, My Darling Clementine, Meet John Doe, Rio Bravo, Red River or anything else that dirt bag ever appeared in.

I thank you.

Next up to ban, John Wayne . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Walter Brennan was a racist.

Therefore let's start a campaign for TCM to  never show The Westerner, Sergeant York, My Darling Clementine, Meet John Doe, Rio Bravo, Red River or anything else that dirt bag ever appeared in.

I thank you.

Next up to ban, John Wayne . . .

Well that Walter Brennan statue is certain to be a goner. . . .

eb0c8c30-ed6b-4659-862d-7dc8f958e586_d.j

• Haha 2

I feel like they'd have no films to show if they started banning every actor who ever said or did something stupid.   I don't know the circumstances surrounding Gibson's incident, but he seems to have had some kind of meltdown or personal problems for a while,  along with alcohol, which hopefully are in the past.  Hollywood seems to have given him a second chance. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

I feel like they'd have no films to show if they started banning every actor who ever said or did something stupid.   I don't know the circumstances surrounding Gibson's incident, but he seems to have had some kind of meltdown or personal problems for a while,  along with alcohol, which hopefully are in the past.  Hollywood seems to have given him a second chance. 

But I have a long list of actors I want to ban. Where am I going to shove that list?

Oh, wait. Don't answer.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Katie_G said:

What "they" are you referring too?   If  TCM,   I believe you have nothing to worry about;  TCM has made it clear that they will not ban, edit or censor culturally sensitive content. 

This came up with the series TCM just had about so called problematic films.     E.g. some people wished for TCM to remove or shorten the Mickey Rooney scenes in Breakfast At Tiffaney.     TCM made clear that they wouldn't do that;  that does something like that does not increase cultural awareness.

As for activist and just everyday people complaining about content and wishing companies like TCM would ban (cancel),  certain films,  actors, directors etc...   People have always done that.   They are just a lot louder now thanks to social media (well really no-thanks IMO).    This can not be prevented or even reduced.   All we can hope for is that companies like TCM don't react to their request (and  so far TCM is doing that).

• Like 2

IN RE: MELVIN P. GIBSON

in theory and in the purist sense, if one wants to become an actor, artist or maker of films that are IMPACTFUL on society- then really, one should lead a life of anonymity. The less we know about who you are and what you think and what you are like (and CERTAINLY THE LESS WE KNOW ABOUT YOUR POLITICS), then the odds that your performance or movie or song or book are going to be digested by THE MASSES in an honest way are MORE OR LESS IN YOUR FAVOR.

In short: When we are not aware of all the baggage one has in one's trunk, then we are liable to arrive on our own to a decision as to whether something is good bad or in-between.

(for the record, JANE FONDA has this problem too, and it's all her fault.)

and when it comes to MELVIN GIBSON, sure, he can still make his movies and he can sit there in the third row of the Oscars as a Best Director Nominee, but A LOT OF US ARE GOING TO LOOK AT HIM AND OUR FIRST THOUGHTS ON SEEING THAT DESSICATED MUG OF HIS ARE BEST SUMMED UP STARTING AT THE 1:11 MARK IN THE VIDEO I POST BELOW:

(i WISH i KNEW HOW TO START VIDEOS AT THE MARK I CHOSE, DARGO, HOW DO YOU DO THAT?)

Anyhow, in summation, f*** Mel Gibson with something rusty and studded in roofing tacks.

wait no... now that i think it about it, he'd like that too much.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What "they" are you referring too?   If  TCM,   I believe you have nothing to worry about;  TCM has made it clear that they will not ban, edit or censor culturally sensitive content.

I'm not worried, but someone was upset with Eddie and Ben for airing Tequila Sunrise.

37 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...(i WISH i KNEW HOW TO START VIDEOS AT THE MARK I CHOSE, DARGO, HOW DO YOU DO THAT?)

Go to the exact moment on the YouTube video you wish to direct attention to and then hit 'pause'.

Then, right click while within the video's body and in your pop-up you'll see 'Copy video URL at current time' and left click that.

And then, right click and paste it within the Reply field of your post.

(...and re Mel Gibson...I just view him as just another example of how religion can unfortunately often screw up the minds of some people, and with emphasis on the word 'some' here...and which is something I believe you touched upon a bit earlier in this thread, didn't you Lorna?)

• Like 2

Say what you want about Sterling Hayden, but that dude can die with terrific style, e.g. The Asphalt Jungle that just aired.  With the horses nosing around sniffing him.  Doll running to get help.  There was a fair share of corn in the movie but Jean Hagen was completely sympathetic and moving really.  The ending scene ranks right up there with the ending scene in One Flew Over.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Thompson said:

Say what you want about Sterling Hayden, but that dude can die with terrific style, e.g. The Asphalt Jungle that just aired.  With the horses nosing around sniffing him.  Doll running to get help.  There was a fair share of corn in the movie but Jean Hagen was completely sympathetic and moving really.  The ending scene ranks right up there with the ending scene in One Flew Over.

I wish Eddie would show the noir Manhandled (1949),  with Dorothy Lamour,  Dan Duryea,  and Hayden.     Not a great film but it has its moments especially a death scene with a car.    Being a Paramount film,  that could be why Eddie hasn't feature it.   

MANHANDLED 1949 Dorothy Lamour, Sterling Hayden, Dan Duryea UK PRESSBOOK |  eBayMarci on Twitter: "Tonight's #filmnoir selection: Manhandled (1949).  Frankly, my #Noirvember needs more Dan Duryea. Bonus points for Sterling  Hayden & Dorothy Lamour. #FilmNoirFriday… https://t.co/v5zUEu3Qz8"

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Gosh darn it, I can NEVER MAKE IT MORE THAN 40 minutes into BLADE RUNNER (whichever version.)

About five minutes after Sean Young shows up as RoboMildredPierce, I always check out.

This was the first time I saw it and HATED IT! I admit, SCIFI isnt a favorite genre of mine, but am able to get into some films (Alien etc.) This one was a BIG FAIL! Great production design, but that was about it! I kept falling asleep. Boring and in comprehensible plot..

• Like 1

No offense to you BLADE RUNNER FANS out there tho!

I'm not one of them!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

It's not bad, but it's sooo sloooow. Too long. Sets are a bit cramped, looks like a cross of The Crow and Total Recall. 

Sean Young is one the things that save this movie. She's a robot but arguably the most human thing in the movie.

SLOW is right!!!

• Thanks 2
23 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...and re Mel Gibson...I just view him as just another example of how religion can unfortunately often screw up the minds of some people, and with emphasis on the word 'some' here...and which is something I believe you touched upon a bit earlier in this thread, didn't you Lorna?)

Yup

...wrote the person who JUST wrote the post criticizing AN ARTIST for voicing their politics and religiosity- thusly admitting to doing EXACTLY THE SAME AND HAVING THE RECEIPTS SO EASY TO CHECK

...although I note, I am thankfully not in the PUBLIC EYE and whether I am an ARTIST is up for all sorts of debate.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Hibi said:

This was the first time I saw it and HATED IT! I admit, SCIFI isnt a favorite genre of mine, but am able to get into some films (Alien etc.) This one was a BIG FAIL! Great production design, but that was about it! I kept falling asleep. Boring and in comprehensible plot..

thank you! i try to keep an open mind tho, I know it is a LEGIT FAVORITE of many, even a few posters here....

i just think there was a reason BLADE RUNNER wasn't a hit and the recent sequel(?) wasn't either.

EDIT: It's not even a BLADE SPRINTER, it's more of a BLADE CRAWLER...

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

RE: SEAN YOUNG

someone else mentioned this earlier on, BUT I WAS WATCHING LIVE WHEN IT HAPPENED ON THE JOAN RIVERS SHOW ca. 1991 AND IT WAS GLORIOUS!

TOTAL. ON-AIR. PSYCHOTIC BREAK, MAMA.

See the source image

"My bright idea of going on the Joan Rivers show as CatWoman. At the time, I didn't realize how humorless studio executives can be."

Gosh darn it, I can NEVER MAKE IT MORE THAN 40 minutes into BLADE RUNNER (whichever version.)

Something similar with me. It's rather intriguing at first, then if falls apart along the line. Too mawkish or something like that? Can't quite remember right now. I'm not much of a Harrison Ford fan, but that's not an issue with the film.

• Thanks 1