Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Drat to Hell! Blasts and Fogs upon that Strumpet Fortune. Tis She that made me forget to record the last night of Neo Noir. Are they available to see somewhere? On Demand, or something? Complete with the Dynamic Duo?  Do pray Tell. I thank thee...most heartily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Next up to ban, John Wayne . . .

Copy that.

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

But I have a long list of actors I want to ban. Where am I going to shove that list?

Maybe you can just pitchfork them.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, nakano said:

Ihave seen the movie first run,i remember saying the movie was all cosmetic.Last night i watched the intro by Eddie, basically he was saying the same thing i felt then, Once was enough.

Yes, I would put it in the Okay category. It's a competent piece of film making with some good acting and 

some interesting lines in the screenplay (You're the most beautiful woman I've ever met and I'm nuts

about you not being among them). It's sort of a romantic comedy, without the comedy, mixed in with a

cops vs. drug dealers flick. But in the end there's nothing very special about it. Makes one appreciate Scorsese's

crime movies, at least it made me do so. I watched it mainly because I only saw it once and that was years ago.

I'd put this one in the B-/C+ zone. DNR. 

In regards to TEQUILA SUNRISE I agree with the Leonard Maltin Video Guide book assessment; he or one of his staff gave it 2½ stars out of 4.  That's where I'd put my rating.  Pretty good, but not great.  Watchable enough, anyway. 

I'd almost forgotten about J.T. WALSH.  As the 1990s wore on he was getting some big parts in BIG studio movies (think he was second-billed in BREAKDOWN (1997)) . . . and then he went on what appeared to be a much-needed vacation (looking on the IMDb I couldn't help but notice how busy he was).  So he went to a California retreat and died there on Feb. 27, 1998.  He was 54. 

• Like 3

I've seen Blade Runner two or three times before so the plot was easier to understand, though the

plot is not that interesting. I think one of the two neo-noir hosts mentioned that after being wowed

by the look and production values the first time around, it loses quite a bit when one focuses on other

aspects of the movie. Yeah that's my take also. I never thought that Ford was a replicant. I'm presuming,

unless the Blade Runner world is totally screwed up, that he would have been outed as one long before

now. Unless the Tyrell Corp. is one of those nasty companies that would do anything to make a buck and

there is a buck to be made by letting a replicant pose as a cop, but I discount that.  I nearly LMA totally

O when Eduardo said that maybe what the movie is really about is Existence. Did he make a pre-show

trip to the noir bar or something? This is one of those movies I watch every few years, but I wouldn't

want to see every year. Plus 2019 is now in the past. Maybe there could be an hour long version of

the movie called The Movie Classics Illustrated Version. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, laffite said:

ALIEN

I can understand that choice but for some reason or t'other I've never been able to get into Alien. 

It's got a great plot. Well written and acted and visually it's a beautiful film but it just never hit that magic chord with me. 

• Like 1

As far as Mel Gibson - he got it from his father - after Passion of the Christ (or whatever film started it all), I had someone come up to me and told me that it was true - I had nothing to do with Jesus' death.  Mel Gibson's father is/was a Catholic who never accepted Vatican II - so he even told his wife at the time that she was bound for Heck.  He also is a Holocaust denier.    I was heartbroken when I found this out, because he was a good actor.    As for the movies chosen, Family Plot would be great, and for neo-noir funny with Michelle Pfeiffer - Married to the Mob.  And, there are actors who supported Trump and/or are Republicans in Hollywood, and I don't think it has been pleasant for them.

• Like 1

Perhaps Mel G. should've taken some time to speak with BROTHER THEODORE.  Theodore lived until 2001 so there was plenty of time for Mel to ask what happened to Theodore's parents and some of his other relatives. 

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

RE: SEAN YOUNG

someone else mentioned this earlier on, BUT I WAS WATCHING LIVE WHEN IT HAPPENED ON THE JOAN RIVERS SHOW ca. 1991 AND IT WAS GLORIOUS!

TOTAL. ON-AIR. PSYCHOTIC BREAK, MAMA.

See the source image

What happens when you hook up with James Woods! ;D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Gosh darn it, I can NEVER MAKE IT MORE THAN 40 minutes into BLADE RUNNER (whichever version.)

About five minutes after Sean Young shows up as RoboMildredPierce, I always check out.

The parts with Sean Young are the best parts of the movie.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Hibi said:

The parts with Sean Young are the best parts of the movie.

She is. 
When I said I inevitably turn off BLADE RUNNER  about five minutes after her first scene, it’s not because I don’t like her, I do...

It’s because what follows is ANOTHER  scene where Harrison Ford goes through ANOTHER monotone-delivery Turing/Roshak Test, only with 30 of the world’s most inane questions in lieu  of inkblots.

ie

“You are walking through the desert. You are thirsty. A good friend offers you a camel. Do you accept it or plant a tree?” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess it’s a good thing that things didn’t turn out the way “blade runner“ said they would, because I would probably FAIL the replicant test. My answer to every single question would be “what the hell kind of **** question is that?”

• Haha 3
20 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I wish Eddie would show the noir Manhandled (1949),  with Dorothy Lamour,  Dan Duryea,  and Hayden.     Not a great film but it has its moments especially a death scene with a car.    Being a Paramount film,  that could be why Eddie hasn't feature it.   

MANHANDLED 1949 Dorothy Lamour, Sterling Hayden, Dan Duryea UK PRESSBOOK |  eBayMarci on Twitter: "Tonight's #filmnoir selection: Manhandled (1949).  Frankly, my #Noirvember needs more Dan Duryea. Bonus points for Sterling  Hayden & Dorothy Lamour. #FilmNoirFriday… https://t.co/v5zUEu3Qz8"

Obviously not a noir, but Sterling Hayden's death scene in THE GODFATHER is classic. I actually had a former customer take my wife and I to dinner back in the 80s at the restaurant in NYC where that scene was filmed .

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

In regards to TEQUILA SUNRISE I agree with the Leonard Maltin Video Guide book assessment; he or one of his staff gave it 2½ stars out of 4.  That's where I'd put my rating.  Pretty good, but not great.  Watchable enough, anyway. 

I'd almost forgotten about J.T. WALSH.  As the 1990s wore on he was getting some big parts in BIG studio movies (think he was second-billed in BREAKDOWN (1997)) . . . and then he went on what appeared to be a much-needed vacation (looking on the IMDb I couldn't help but notice how busy he was).  So he went to a California retreat and died there on Feb. 27, 1998.  He was 54. 

J.T. was one of those "underrated and dependable" (a thread topic elsewhere) actors.

He is missed.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I feel guilty for (again) badmouthing BLADE RUNNER, ...

Oh, and another thing, since when does it rain like that Los Angleles.   lol

2 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Obviously not a noir, but Sterling Hayden's death scene in THE GODFATHER is classic. I actually had a former customer take my wife and I to dinner back in the 80s at the restaurant in NYC where that scene was filmed .

You don’t see it, but you can imagine it, when Sterling as General Ripper walks into the bathroom and shuts the door.  I can’t remember if he died in The Long Goodbye.  Just the way he sat at the table in the NY restaurant in Godfather, the way he tucked the napkin under his chin, asking about the veal.  You gotta love him.

53 minutes ago, laffite said:

Oh, and another thing, since when does it rain like that Los Angeles.   lol

Just since BEACHES and CUTTERS WAY and DEATH BECOMES HER and LA CONFIDENTIAL and THE BIG SLEEP...

(Lotta rain in LA in the movies...)

• Like 2