Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hollow Triumph is a hollow triumph in itself, if it be a triumph at all. For Noir fans only, who are so wedded to their taste that anything can be counted as good. The cast is a strong asset, if there be any. If Paul Henried is not a saving grace, then Joan Bennett surely must be. The ending reminded me of Algiers. That John Muller (no relation, I knew he would say that) is not recognized straightaway by anyone is perfectly ridiculous. But wait, this is noir, it's okay.  I slogged my way through it, only because it was Noir Alley. Eddie (that other Muller) was excruciatingly boring, for movie historians only.  Don't blink, you might miss the murder.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I take it then, laffite, that you were not able to do the "suspend your disbelief" thing in regards to Hollow Triumph. 

I think for each movie fan who watches a lot of films there are those certain movies we watch and say "I'm just not buyin' it!" when it comes to a particular scene or plot point.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I take it then, laffite, that you were not able to do the "suspend your disbelief" thing in regards to Hollow Triumph. 

Suspension of disbelief levels are variable according to genre. In a James Bond movie, for instance, anything goes. Noir is not quite that bad and if fact some of the W T F is even acceptable. Each genre has its own standards and should not be compared to our everyday idea of reality that one finds, say, in a conventional drama.  In a way, citing the fact no one noticed the scar being on the wrong side may be just kicking a dead horse. What's new?

• Like 1

Well I liked it. So I salute all the disgruntled with a super gulp size Bronx cheer.

From Eddie's pre bumper I mistakenly assumed it was the brother that was the real shrink. THAT would have worked a little better with the look alike angle. Twins rather than some random doppelgänger. 

Whatever though. I like Joan Bennet, she gets extra credit for The Woman in the Window, which is excellent. And Hollow Triumph gets points for the Fotomat screw-up. Nice touch!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 7/31/2021 at 1:42 PM, Moe Howard said:

I'm trying to recall if they agreed on any of the films being all that good. Body Heat ? I think they both liked that one, and I'd have to say it was probably best over all.

I with they'd shown Mulholland Falls. Although I'm not sure its Neo-Noir. It's more like Post Dated Noir.

It's more like Bizarro-noir.  Emphasis on the Bizarro.

• Like 1
On 7/31/2021 at 12:26 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

IN RE: MELVIN P. GIBSON

in theory and in the purist sense, if one wants to become an actor, artist or maker of films that are IMPACTFUL on society- then really, one should lead a life of anonymity. The less we know about who you are and what you think and what you are like (and CERTAINLY THE LESS WE KNOW ABOUT YOUR POLITICS), then the odds that your performance or movie or song or book are going to be digested by THE MASSES in an honest way are MORE OR LESS IN YOUR FAVOR.

In short: When we are not aware of all the baggage one has in one's trunk, then we are liable to arrive on our own to a decision as to whether something is good bad or in-between.

(for the record, JANE FONDA has this problem too, and it's all her fault.)

and when it comes to MELVIN GIBSON, sure, he can still make his movies and he can sit there in the third row of the Oscars as a Best Director Nominee, but A LOT OF US ARE GOING TO LOOK AT HIM AND OUR FIRST THOUGHTS ON SEEING THAT DESSICATED MUG OF HIS ARE BEST SUMMED UP STARTING AT THE 1:11 MARK IN THE VIDEO I POST BELOW:

(i WISH i KNEW HOW TO START VIDEOS AT THE MARK I CHOSE, DARGO, HOW DO YOU DO THAT?)

Anyhow, in summation, f*** Mel Gibson with something rusty and studded in roofing tacks.

wait no... now that i think it about it, he'd like that too much.

Oh, what a fine movie is this! Love it. One of the greatest bluffs in the history of cinema. Great little monologue there fella.

• Like 1
On 7/31/2021 at 12:49 PM, Dargo said:

Go to the exact moment on the YouTube video you wish to direct attention to and then hit 'pause'.

Then, right click while within the video's body and in your pop-up you'll see 'Copy video URL at current time' and left click that.

And then, right click and paste it within the Reply field of your post.

Wow, thanks for that !!!!

I just tried on the Classical Music thread.

Nothing less than cool !!!

16 hours ago, Thompson said:

Hoganman, did the bathroom have the same toilet set-up?

I don't remember going into the bathroom.  I wish now I had, but didn't think of it at the time. 

in re: THE NEO NOIRS

Sadly, only MONA LISA (1986) has shown up in the TCM ON DEMAND part of HULU- BLADE RUNNER and TEQUILA SUNRISE are MIA...

(Someone mentioned a couple weeks ago that I should try the WATCH TCM APP, but you have to have a cable provider for that to work, which I do not.)

I was actually gonna give BLADE RUNNER another try last night...(I respect the fandom, even if I'm not a member.)

• Like 2

in re: MULLHOLLAND FALLS

i remember this barely playing and BOMBING HARD in 1996, it never made it to my town and I have not seen the trailer (I don't think) til now.

I can see why it bombed- and that's not necessarily a diss on the film, which I (like almost everyone else on earth) have not seen. i just don't see it clicking with audiences then or now:

• Like 2

I've seen Hollow Triumph several times and I LOVE IT! So there! Yes, there are holes and implausibilities like any noir. Great performances from Joan Bennett and Henreid! Great photography from Alton, too.

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Well I liked it. So I salute all the disgruntled with a super gulp size Bronx cheer.

From Eddie's pre bumper I mistakenly assumed it was the brother that was the real shrink. THAT would have worked a little better with the look alike angle. Twins rather than some random doppelgänger. 

Whatever though. I like Joan Bennet, she gets extra credit for The Woman in the Window, which is excellent. And Hollow Triumph gets points for the Fotomat screw-up. Nice touch!

Yes, the first time I watched it, I thought it was his twin at first, until the brother showed up. I think it would've worked better with that scenario. It reminds me of Bette Davis' Dead Ringer and A Stolen Life where the one twin assumes the identity of the other one, not realizing what secrets that twin had that might show up later to haunt her.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, laffite said:

Hollow Triumph is a hollow triumph in itself, if it be a triumph at all. For Noir fans only, who are so wedded to their taste that anything can be counted as good. The cast is a strong asset, if there be any. If Paul Henried is not a saving grace, then Joan Bennett surely must be. The ending reminded me of Algiers. That John Muller (no relation, I knew he would say that) is not recognized straightaway by anyone is perfectly ridiculous. But wait, this is noir, it's okay.  I slogged my way through it, only because it was Noir Alley. Eddie (that other Muller) was excruciatingly boring, for movie historians only.  Don't blink, you might miss the murder.

Couldn't disagree more. I think the film is a gem. And the fact people don't recognize the scar (the cleaning lady is confused) is the films comment on how people don't really pick up on details.......I thought Joan was great in this. Very realistic portrayal of a woman who's seen it all.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I can see why it bombed- and that's not necessarily a diss on the film, which I (like almost everyone else on earth) have not seen. i just don't see it clicking with audiences then or now:

Same year as Jerry Maguire, Swingers, The English Patient, Fargo, and a ton of other pretty good movies. Considering where the general public consciousness was at the time it's surprising Mulholland Falls was released at all. Regardless, it's a favorite of mine.

At the center is the LAPD Hat Squad, they are fighting gangsters, the feds, and the Atomic Energy Commission in their notoriously subtle style.

The film stars Nick Nolte, Melanie Griffith, Chazz Palminteri, Michael Madsen, John Malkovich, Andrew McCarthy, Chris Penn, Treat Williams and Jennifer Connelly who is spectacular. Some say the story moves slowly, maybe so. But that might be because The Hat Squad weren't Ninjas, they were a steam roller. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Couldn't disagree more. I think the film is a gem. And the fact people don't recognize the scar (the cleaning lady is confused) is the films comment on how people don't really pick up on details.......I thought Joan was great in this. Very realistic portrayal of a woman who's seen it all.  

Okay then, fair 'nuff .  I will change my "perfectly ridiculous" to "tongue in cheek" although i still think that it was enough that people were unable to tell difference between Mr Mullen and Dr Bartok. The point is amply made right there. The problem with the misplaced scar is that threatens to distract the viewer unnecessarily and perhaps make him chuck the whole movie. There are some who don't tolerate W T  F so well, even in a noir.

• Haha 1

I didn't buy the premise. An absolutely identical copy of a man - including the voice, just by happenstance? And long-time associates don't catch it?

Not believable.

45 minutes ago, laffite said:

...in the rain :D

I've always wondered why its always raining torrentially in films (even in LA!) I read recently it's because rain doesn't show up well on film so the rain machines are turned on full blast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

I didn't buy the premise. An absolutely identical copy of a man - including the voice, just by happenstance? And long-time associates don't catch it?

Not believable.

Many noirs aren't when you examine them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had seen it once before a couple of years ago. Not bad for a low budget movie and at only 83 minutes

it moves along fairly well. Yes, people not noticing the scar on the wrong side of his face is pretty hilarious.

I can see the dentist not noticing it, but his secretary and girlfriend not doing so. C'mon, man. I also wondered

why Henreid went to the trouble of taking a photo. Why not put on some sunglasses and a big hat and pass the

guy in the street and see which side the scar is on? Also a bit of a movie coincidence that he had experience in

psychology and was planning to take over as a psychoanalyst. His method seemed to one way talking as his patients

blabbed on while he just listened. Nice work if you can get it. Joan Bennett was also good as the rather calculating

lady who then breaks down in her kitchen after Pauly has bid her farewell. And that brother, what a total jerk.

All in all a well done job.

• Like 1