Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

11 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

EACD.gif

So,  you're saying Eraserhead  is your vote for strangest David Lynch film ever?  Ok,  I can see it as a contender for that honour.  What about that dancing roast chicken?  for sure.  and doesn't the radiator produce some song and dance act or something?   (Bear with me, it was a long time ago I saw Eraserhead.  )   And without doubt,  some would opt for Blue Velvet.

Fact is,  all of David Lynch's work is very very strange,  bizarre,  dream-like -- or nightmare-like--,   surreal, disturbing,  there's a myriad of words to describe these films and shows he's made.   So I guess it's entirely subjective,  which one is the most strange.  But I still say Mulholland Drive is the strangest.

Also -- and not  meaning to derail this thread into Bizarro world Lynch territority too much -- I think David Lynch is one of those directors whose work you either love or hate.   Me,  I love it.  Wait !  No,  how can I love films that are so disturbing !  I hate it !  No.....I'm fascinated by  it.  I'll go with that.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dargo said:

It helps if you think of Mulholland Drive as Lynch's take on Carnival of Souls.

(...reportedly, Lynch has even cited the earlier film as his inspiration for his film and which is considered a "surrealist neo-noir")

Carnival of Souls.  Right,  Dargs,  that makes a lot of sense.  I'm happy to say I own a copy of that strange and rare visit to the otherworld.  Is she dead or alive,  or somewhere in between?  Nothing seems real - yet sometimes,  kind of sort of, it does.   

Those kind of films,   Carnival of SoulsMulholland Drive, ...   I think they're most enjoyed  ( if you can apply a word like "enjoy" to them) when you just let go and don't try to figure them out,  just float on the feeling, just experience a visit to another world.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Carnival of Souls.  Right,  Dargs,  that makes a lot of sense.  I'm happy to say I own a copy of that strange and rare visit to the otherworld.  Is she dead or alive,  or somewhere in between?  Nothing seems real - yet sometimes,  kind of sort of, it does.   

Those kind of films,   Carnival of SoulsMulholland Drive, ...   I think they're most enjoyed  ( if you can apply a word like "enjoy" to them) when you just let go and don't try to figure them out,  just float on the feeling, just experience a visit to another world.

I don't dislike Lynch's films but they're annoying like an itch that's just out of reach. As you said his movies are surreal like getting to peek beyond the veil into someone's fever dream. I always feel like I'm just on the edge of understanding but I just can't clear that final bit of debris that's blocking me from the big picture. Infuriating but I can't stop watching.  You nailed it on the head, fascinating!

Carnival of Souls however I enjoy very much! In my opinion it's the greatest Horror film ever made. Perfect proof that true horror doesn't need big budgets, special effects, state of the art equipment, and most especially not blood and gore. If you can get inside their head, be it book or film, you can scare the bejeebers out of them!

Rob Zombie claims he's a big fan of Carnival also.  His movies tell me he might have watched it but he didn't understand it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Citizen Ed said:

I don't dislike Lynch's films but they're annoying like an itch that's just out of reach.

Carnival of Souls however I enjoy very much! In my opinion it's the greatest Horror film ever made. Perfect proof that true horror doesn't need big budgets, special effects, state of the art equipment, and most especially not blood and gore. If you can get inside their head, be it book or film, you can scare the bejeebers out of them!

Rob Zombie claims he's a big fan of Carnival also.  His movies tell me he might have watched it but he didn't understand it.

I was ambivalent towards DAVID LYNCH until I recently watched BLUE VELVET, which I liked very much and have taken a great deal of amusement from the fact that I work right around the corner from the Diner and Isabella Rosselini's apartment building.

I'm fine with CARNIVAL OF SOULS, I've seen it straight and with commentary from RIFFTRAX, which I did find amusing although they were too hard on the film because it's not a bad movie at all.

ROB ZOMBIE also p!sses me off.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I was ambivalent towards DAVID LYNCH until I recently watched BLUE VELVET, which I liked very much and have taken a great deal of amusement from the fact that I work right around the corner from the Diner and Isabella Rosselini's apartment building.

I'm fine with CARNIVAL OF SOULS, I've seen it straight and with commentary from RIFFTRAX, which I did find amusing although they were too hard on the film because it's not a bad movie at all.

ROB ZOMBIE also p!sses me off.

Are you kidding??? FAR OUT!!! Is the building an actual apt bldg?

28 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Are you kidding??? FAR OUT!!! Is the building an actual apt bldg?

Yup. it's THE CAROLINA Apts, 420 (heh-heh) MARKET STREET, WILMINGTON NC.

There's a HUGE fountain in front of it that they don't show in the film.

(it looks better in real life than it does in this pic, this is the only one i could find online)

See the source image

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So is that Tara or Twelve Oaks across the street from the church???

(...oh wait, those were in GA not NC, huh...never mind...all that antebellum stuff looks the same to me)

;)

It’s THE BELLAMY MANSION, it’s basically TARA AS A TOWNHOUSE, It’s always been In the middle of downtown so it’s never been a plantation, but it did have slaves and it does predate The War. 

(It’s actually very disappointing inside, the rooms are small and cramped and for some odd reason there is no furniture at all.)

• Thanks 1

Strange that you were talking about Lynch here. i was just looking at his 1984 film Dune today, which was well cast and visually stunning but was just so clinical and heavy-feeling. 

Lynch runs in bit and spurts. Elephant Man was good, Blue Velvet exceptional and one of the best films of the decade, Wild at Heart a tad too overheated, Twin Peaks the TV show good but a bit aimless and disturbing when it ventured far into the supernatural levels, Fire Walk Me Me solid, but very depressing, The Straight Story his second masterwork, and Mulholland Drive which I have a few reservations about but certainly was mostly pretty stunning too.

I just find it ironic though that Mulholland Drive, regarded in a critic's poll as the best theatrical film of the 21st century, was not meant as such originally. The last 30 minutes, and the two wild lesbian sex scenes were thrown in to disguise that all the rest of the film had been a dismissed TV pilot originally intended for ABC. It speaks volumes when a film started as an ABC TV pilot outshines 20 years of movies in critics' eyes.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Mulholland Drive is David Lynch, of course it's Bizarro. Eddie say's Mulholland Drive is "pretty damn noir if you ask me." No comment of the obviously noir Mulholland Falls.

Mulholland Falls was actually pretty good, even if the ending was a little bit out of sync with the rest of it. Nick Nolte was very fine as the tough cop, Jennifer Connelly was a memorable vamp, and Melanie Griffith (who got an undeserved Razzie for it) was deeply touching

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

...and Mulholland Drive which I have a few reservations about but certainly was mostly pretty stunning too.

Yeah, and ESPECIALLY "pretty stunning" whenever Laura Harring here is on-screen...

img_4293.jpg

(...oh mama!)  ;)

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

That’s the First Baptist church, the Baptists usually make it a point to have the tallest steeple in town.
The taller one blew over in a hurricane a few years back! 

No Catholic churches? (I know they are sparse in the south).

The Man With the Golden Arm just aired.  I’ve tried to like this movie because the subject matter is right up my alley.  This movie stinks.  Frank Sinatra stinks, like he does in most movies.  Now we have Picnic, with another lame actor William Holden, who has no sense of rhythm.  Never understood his appeal.

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Strange that you were talking about Lynch here. i was just looking at his 1984 film Dune today, which was well cast and visually stunning but was just so clinical and heavy-feeling. 

I just watched it again for the 2nd (maybe 3rd?) time. I do think it's the least of the Lynch films I've seen - and I've seen all of his features except The Straight Story.

The Herbert novel is a fun read, but the movie doesn't move me at all.

DUNE is one of those movies that has at least 2 versions extant; maybe 3 if there's any 'fan-edits' floating around.  Don't like the theatrical version?  Check out the version prepared for television.  I think David Lynch took his name off the Tv version . . . but who cares?  Maybe you'd like the longer version better if you dared to watch it!  :)