Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

13 hours ago, Fedya said:

Wider than a mile?

This made my day. 

It was a reference to SPOON RIVER ANTHOLOGY  by Edgar Lee masters. It's, as you may well know, a collection of short poems narrated by the various dead in a cemetery outside a small town in early 20th century America. It's one of those things they force you to read in high school that to be honest with you, they should force you to read, because you'll appreciate it someday.

Most of the stories in it are unhappy, as I sometimes wonder is often the way with life.

About a year ago I was going through the photo album for our church ca 1998 and I was surprised by how smiling faces were about to go thru a tragedy or SCANDAL! of some form or another. How many marriages had ended. How many people had died suddenly, lost children, etc

really, that's the main reason I go to church. Same church I went to as a child and a way of connecting with the past as well as taking in the grand, mad, tragic and always surprising parade that is life.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I would like to alert Noir Alley fans to a somewhat special showing coming up this weekend on Apr 21 & 22, namely the film Cry Danger (1951).  I first became aware of Cry Danger when it was shown on TCM during the primetime hours back on January 17, 2013.  The theme for that evening was “Noir City” and featured films selected by Eddie Muller, who was co-host for the introductions along with host Robert Osborne.  Cry Danger was the first film shown that night, and was featured because it had recently been restored by the Film Noir Foundation that Eddie is associated with.  (The restored film had first been shown in public at the TCM Film Festival the year before.)

To my knowledge the restored version of Cry Danger has not been shown on TCM since that night in January 2013, so this is a relatively rare opportunity to catch it again.

I remember watching it, but I've totally forgotten the plot. So will be like watching a new film again!

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I would like to alert Noir Alley fans to a somewhat special showing coming up this weekend on Apr 21 & 22, namely the film Cry Danger (1951).  I first became aware of Cry Danger when it was shown on TCM during the primetime hours back on January 17, 2013.  The theme for that evening was “Noir City” and featured films selected by Eddie Muller, who was co-host for the introductions along with host Robert Osborne.  Cry Danger was the first film shown that night, and was featured because it had recently been restored by the Film Noir Foundation that Eddie is associated with.  (The restored film had first been shown in public at the TCM Film Festival the year before.)

To my knowledge the restored version of Cry Danger has not been shown on TCM since that night in January 2013, so this is a relatively rare opportunity to catch it again.

Cry Danger ! !  All right !

Yes, noir fans, if you haven't already seen this cool film, try to watch or record it this weekend.  It's got Dick Powell in full noir mode (shirley everyone likes Dick Powell as tough guy), along with Rhonda Fleming, also in full femme noir mode. These two factors alone would make it worth the watch.

But !  It's also got Richard Erdman ( he of "The Blue Gardenia" and "Stalag 17", just to name a few) as Dick's booze-sodden sidekick, dispensing wit and cynicism in equal measure, William Conrad as the brains behind the bad guys (surprise !), and a perky Jean Porter as a sweet, although perhaps not-so-innocent "muffin" (or "mouse"  or "doll").

All this, plus location shooting in Los Angeles'  Bunker Hill neighbourhood, AND a trailer park !  Ok, it probably wouldn't have been fun to live in a trailer park, but it's definitely fun to watch other people living in a trailer park, at least in a film noir from 1951.

Set your DVRs, or cancel your church-going plans, or do whatever it takes to catch this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Cry Danger ! !  All right !

Yes, noir fans, if you haven't already seen this cool film, try to watch or record it this weekend.  It's got Dick Powell in full noir mode (shirley everyone likes Dick Powell as tough guy), along with Rhonda Fleming, also in full femme noir mode. These two factors alone would make it worth the watch.

But !  It's also got Richard Erdman ( he of "The Blue Gardenia" and "Stalag 17", just to name a few) as Dick's booze-sodden sidekick, dispensing wit and cynicism in equal measure, William Conrad as the brains behind the bad guys (surprise !), and a perky Jean Porter as a sweet, although perhaps not-so-innocent "muffin" (or "mouse"  or "doll").

All this, plus location shooting in Los Angeles'  Bunker Hill neighbourhood, AND a trailer park !  Ok, it probably wouldn't have been fun to live in a trailer park, but it's definitely fun to watch other people living in a trailer park, at least in a film noir from 1951.

Set your DVRs, or cancel your church-going plans, or do whatever it takes to catch this one.

Actually the trailer park was on North Hill Place which wasn't on Bunker Hill, it was on a hill just West of Chinatown. Below is the only house left on the street from the film, it was the house just down the street from the entrance of the tralier park.

OK, top image from film, the existing house is one behind couple, one below from google maps, on botton pic trailer park was where the high rise apartment house and the empty lot sits just to the left of the house, cool huh? Also notice how close City Hall top right corner appears in the film (top image).

3kS5D23.jpg

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Actuall the trailer park was on North Hill Place which wasn't on Bunker Hill, it was on a hill just West of Chinatown. Below is the only house left on the street from the film, it was the house just down the street from the entrance of the tralier park.

OK, top image from film, the existing house is one behind couple, one below from google maps, on botton pic trailer park was where the high rise apartment house and the empty lot sits just to the left of the house, cool huh?

3kS5D23.jpg

I think i have this film in my to view list. Gonna go back and check and see. Looks interesting.

Here's a better a angle (closer to the one in the film) for the house on North Hill Place, you can see the Los Angeles City Hall in the background, along side the telephone poles and the palm tree. Also you can see how the field of focus in the film makes City Hall appear much much closer than it actually is.2B8zUXv.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the power lines, the palm trees, the parallel parking.

i miss it so.

LOL.  Looks like a little oasis right in the city proper. What are those numbers painted on the street?

44 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL.  Looks like a little oasis right in the city proper. What are those numbers painted on the street?

I'm thinking that's a satellite image using google maps...that's the street name vertically digitally imposed over the road (not painted, but i had to squint to figure it out)

google maps can can kind of fun.

it can also be maddening as Hell.

40 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm thinking that's a satellite image using google maps...that's the street name vertically digitally imposed over the road (not painted, but i had to squint to figure it out)

google maps can can kind of fun.

it can also be maddening as Hell.

Yes its the street name "North Hill Place"

if you download GOOGLE EARTH PRO , you can pick any location on earth and satellites will zoom into it- even your own house. it can be fun to do for movie locations, i've checked out The Biltmore Estate, The Tarrytown Estate (from NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS) and a few other grand homes that way.

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The images are not always up-to-date though. For example when I put my address in and I zoom all the way down to the ground view the car in the driveway is my old one that I haven't driven in years.

Yes, the Google street view of my house is at least 10 years old.

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The images are not always up-to-date though. For example when I put my address in and I zoom all the way down to the ground view the car in the driveway is my old one that I haven't driven in years.

LOL! Well, you cant expect yearly updates........

On 4/18/2018 at 2:48 PM, Moorman said:

I think i have this film in my to view list. Gonna go back and check and see. Looks interesting.

I'd like some yard, but I'd take the house!

51 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

if google would let me know when they're going to update their photo, i'll make sure things look extra nice and that i am standing outside with a shotgun pointed skyward in full "GIT OFFA MAH PROP ER TEE" mode when they snap it for prosperity.

LMREO!!!

Back to Noir.  12:15 AM (Midnight Saturday) and 10:00 AM Apr. 22 (Sunday) Cry Danger is a very entertaining one.  Dick Powell gives his standard credible performance, but some others made a bigger impression on me.  Richard Erdman, Regis Toomey, Jean Porter and William Conrad.

The "cyclops" instrument cluster on top of Erdman's car's steering wheel is unusual.  It was a Nash style that eventually went away.

46 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Back to Noir.  12:15 AM (Midnight Saturday) and 10:00 AM Apr. 22 (Sunday) Cry Danger is a very entertaining one.  Dick Powell gives his standard credible performance, but some others made a bigger impression on me.  Richard Erdman, Regis Toomey, Jean Porter and William Conrad.

The "cyclops" instrument cluster on top of Erdman's car's steering wheel is unusual.  It was a Nash style that eventually went away.

I agree that what makes Cry Danger a good movie are the performances by the supporting players.   The two stars were credible but without the fine performances by those supporting actors the film wouldn't be as good.

• Like 3
On 4/19/2018 at 10:13 AM, LawrenceA said:

Yes, the Google street view of my house is at least 10 years old.

Lol.  I just looked at my house and my car is parked in front of the house.  It's kind of funny because of the photo's perspective, my car looks as big as my house! Then I just looked up my parents' house (50 miles south of mine) and my car is in their driveway! Lol. 

What's interesting is that I think Google Maps must take the angles of the streets on different days.  From the front of my parents' house, my car and my dad's truck is in the driveway and it's sunny.  If you click to see the house from the perspective of the side street, suddenly it's overcast, my car is gone and my dad's truck is in the street.