Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 minutes ago, laffite said:

Ralph Waldo Emerson says in his essay on self-reliance, "...to be misunderstood is to be great." Could it not then be true that to be inconsistent is to be great. Therefore misswonderly3, you are great!

Of course we knew that already. We don't need Ralph to know that.

ūü§ó

Kind praise indeed,  but  I'm afraid,   undeserved.

Probably the only thing I'm great at is procrastinating.¬† ¬†ūü§™

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

It was fairly well known Spacey was gay back in the American Beauty, Pay it Forward days. Obviously that had little effect on his career. 

Right.  Kevin Spacey's response when he was accused of assaulting the teenager in the Massachusetts was to come out as gay  ---- as if  he thought that everyone was upset just because he was attracted to other men.

Moe Howard is correct that people in the industry have known Spacey was gay for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I never said it was.  I just said rape is a serious accusation,   regardless of the gender of the accuser.

I  did not intend to get into a big discussion about Kevin Spacey and the allegations against him.  I've actually always liked him as an actor, and all I was saying was,  regardless of his tarnished reputation   ( because it can happen that someone's reputation is permanently tarnished after such allegations, whether ever proven or not  ),  I would still watch any film he's in that I felt like watching.   Same goes for other actors too.  Unless it's something really, really  horrific that the artist is associated with,   I can and do generally separate the art from the artist.

Was that you who posted the googly face icon to my post expressing agreement with you and enjoining it with a complimentary statement about Spacey's acting? 

And was it you who reproved me immediately after you posted the googly face, intimating that I was in error for saying Spacey was homosexual rather than something accusatory?

And was it another poster and you who utilized the word "rape" in the discussion before I did when I proffered a a denial on his behalf?

Well, maybe I'm just crazy-kookoo. Wouldn't be the first time I've thought it's possible that I am.

23 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Probably the only thing I'm great at is procrastinating.

To procrastinate is to be great.

~laffite

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, 37kitties said:

Simple - they say "no, I don't swing that way". The end

The hell you say. They just back right off, do they? Is there a handbook or is this comment from personal experience?

This isn't exclusive to one sex regardless of which sex they are attracted to, fact is some have a hard time with "NO". And folks positioned to exercise some influence that aren't accustomed to hearing NO generally can all of sudden turn especially hard of hearing.

I don't know what Spacey did, and I don't care. That's between him and his "accuser(s)".  I continue to enjoy and celebrate his art. Well, a good portion of it anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Cigarjoe cellph said:

The post Hays (Motion Picture Production) Code and pre PC "code" version of Raymond Chandler's "Farewell My Lovely" is probably the closest version to the novel we are going to see, it's firing on all cylinders. It pulls no punches, it's serious, dialog wise, doing justice to the novel.

In the previously adapted for film 1944 version Murder, My Sweet, Dick Powell was great as wisecracking Marlowe, he's pretty much as I pictured him in my mind's eye as I read the book. Mitchum at 58 years, in this film, is just a tad too old to fit the Marlowe of the novel. He's also a tad too iconic, Mitchum is playing Mitchum playing Marlowe, but the script reflects at least this age difference, he's written as an older wiser Marlowe, a weary character who realizes he's over the hump and sort of coasting. This small change becomes very believable as Mitchum settles into the part. He's still the knight of streets but now he creaks and is just a bit more tarnished.

Just saw this in its entirety online.   Slack direction made it a slog for me, even though in my eyes Mitchum can do no wrong as an actor.

Best line:  "What's the matter, cathouse got your tongue?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

The hell you say. They just back right off, do they? 

If they force sex on an unwilling person, that's rape. It results in prison time for the rapist.

So, yes - unless they're rapists, they don't force sex on people.

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

Nope, Bronxie, I think you'll find  Charlotte Rampling (or as I've always thought of her: "The 1970s Lauren Bacall") isn't going be as good as Claire Trevor.

(...but then again, and as much as I've always liked Lauren Bacall, I've never thought she was as good an actress as Claire Trevor was either)

No one would have been as good as Claire Trevor.

Bacall was an interesting 1940's screen presence who spawned a lot of imitators.  She was in my opinion slightly overrated overall but could deliver a few decent performances.

I always remember Charlotte Rampling in GEORGY GIRL where she is startlingly effective playing a mean, narcissistic beoytch.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It’s also on Peacock, the NBC Streaming service. 

I really,¬†really like the 1975 version of ‚Äúfarewell my lovely‚ÄĚ, but it‚Äôs something of an acquired taste that needs to be seen more than once. At first sight,¬†the last act is¬†something of a letdown and Mitchum seems deflated, but the more you watch it the more it (and MITCHUM)- grows on you. And the score is great,¬†as are the supporting performances, as is the Production design, which at that time in the mid 70s was able to¬†utilize¬†some vintage locales.¬†

there is something that feels very real about FAREWELL MY LOVELY (1975)

To be honest I was not impressed with the overall production and have no real desire to see it again.   The score is the usual noir saxophone stuff, nothing memorable to my ears (unlike, say, the one for BODY HEAT).

As the story progressed, Mitchum's age didn't seem so important to me but then he's a great actor who can put across almost anything.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Rampling is not better than Trevor (few actress of any era can do noir better than Trevor),  but that isn't a reason not to watch Farewell,  My Lovely.

Watched the movie all the way through, didn't care for it except Mitchum, but he can do anything as far as I'm concerned.

For some reason the chunky butch madam who slapped Bob around reminded me of that actress who played "Mother" in DR. DETROIT, lol.    Kind of a parody.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

there is something that feels very real about FAREWELL MY LOVELY (1975)

I respect your take on the movie, Lorna, but for me it actually felt artificial!  Go figure....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I always remember Charlotte Rampling in GEORGY GIRL where she is startlingly effective playing a mean, narcissistic beoytch.

Yes, Charlotte Rampling is brilliant as Meredith in GEORGY GIRL.

"Thunderous chords on the piano.  Scream of train going to tunnel."

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 37kitties said:

Was that you who posted the googly face icon to my post expressing agreement with you and enjoining it with a complimentary statement about Spacey's acting? 

And was it you who reproved me immediately after you posted the googly face, intimating that I was in error for saying Spacey was homosexual rather than something accusatory?

And was it another poster and you who utilized the word "rape" in the discussion before I did when I proffered a a denial on his behalf?

Well, maybe I'm just crazy-kookoo. Wouldn't be the first time I've thought it's possible that I am.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  I think we do agree that  a)  Kevin Spacey was/ is  a good actor    and  b)  Allegations that he sexually accosted people on the set  are not going to stop us from watching his films.

As for c)  After the allegations emerged  and Spacey came out as gay,  I think we agree about that too:  that it doesn't matter  whatsoever,  and that it's sad that he felt he couldn't do so until he was accused of inappropriate behaviour  towards male actors he worked with.

• Like 1

I'm sorry. Incorrect on all counts. That is unless you adhere to Bill Clinton's definition "sex".

1 hour ago, 37kitties said:

If they force sex on an unwilling person, that's rape.

Some loon that gets his jollies grabbing random boobs on a subway is in fact forcing sex. It is not rape. Grabbing some 14 year old's package IS forcing "sex". It is not rape.

It results in prison time for the rapist.

For every 1000 rapes, 6 go to prison.  So you are right 6 out of 1000 times. Great odds for a lottery ticket, bad odds for your comment.

So, yes - unless they're rapists, they don't force sex on people.

Assuming a conviction is required to be awarded the distinction. That leaves the other 994 who just force sex. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Yes, Charlotte Rampling is brilliant as Meredith in GEORGY GIRL.

Great movie, and she is wonderful. Interesting her first hit on IMDB is for "girl at disco" in A Hard Day's Night.  

So was the Georgy Girl song written for the movie, like Ferry Cross the Mersey ? 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moe Howard said:

Great movie, and she is wonderful. Interesting her first hit on IMDB is for "girl at disco" in A Hard Day's Night.  

So was the Georgy Girl song written for the movie, like Ferry Cross the Mersey ? 

Yes, the song "Georgy Girl" was written for the movie GEORGY GIRL.  The music  was written by Tom Springfield (Dusty Springfield's brother ).  Jim Dale wrote the lyrics.

The song was nominated for a Best Original Song Academy Award, but it did not win.

• Thanks 1

Charlotte Rampling is a tough customer.  She stayed at the hotel.  Very much a loner.  I had to rescue her one night because she couldn’t get out of her cottage.  She was trying to get out of the second door that doesn’t open.  She didn’t want to go anywhere, she said, she just wanted to sit on the courtyard for a spell.

• Like 1

Kate Murtagh as Amthor was my favorite character in Farewell My Lovely.   Loved the scene of her getting up and slapping Mitchum hard, four times.   Then he finally hits her back she gets **** and says something like "I wish you hadn't done that".  I was cracking up!   I'd never seen her before but she was awesome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

To be honest I was not impressed with the overall production and have no real desire to see it again.   The score is the usual noir saxophone stuff, nothing memorable to my ears (unlike, say, the one for BODY HEAT).

As the story progressed, Mitchum's age didn't seem so important to me but then he's a great actor who can put across almost anything.

Well, at least you got your TV working again...Or are you sneaking into the neighbors apartment to watch?

If you get a chance, in a year or two, if we’re all still around, watch it again. It’s a film that improves on repeat viewings.

(honest)

• Haha 2

Thanks, Lorna!   I have a new t.v., thanks to a very special person who is an angel here on Earth.

Okay, on your say-so, I'll give FAREWELL another go.  

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Thanks, Lorna!   I have a new t.v., thanks to a very special person who is an angel here on Earth.

Okay, on your say-so, I'll give FAREWELL another go.  

Note that I had many of the same feeling about Farewell,  My Lovely  when I first saw the film but that was because I was viewing the film as if I was watching a 40s or 50s noir instead of a 70's film based on the 40s.       I didn't really enjoy the film until I was able to view-it-on-its-own;  I.e.  stop comparing it to all of those classic 40s and 50s noirs I have seen before.     Of course I still can't fully do that,  but I did get to the the point where my mind was on what was in front of me (the film),  instead of what I had left behind.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

For some reason the chunky butch madam who slapped Bob around reminded me of that actress who played "Mother" in DR. DETROIT, lol.    Kind of a parody.

I just Googled DR. DETROIT -- it's the same actress -- Kate Murtagh!!!  OMG, I am avenged, LOL!!!

• Like 3

Could somebody tell me where NIGHT MOVES was being discussed?   I've gone back a few pages but can't find it and am getting irritated, lol.   I seem to remember a few people talked about the film.     I recently viewed this online at the TCM site.  Gene Hackman (who doesn't like him?) and Jennifer Warren are really good.  The rest is just okay.   Nothing special.  I realized we were supposed to find all sorts of meaning but I was not that interested.  NIGHT MOVES is one I hadn't seen before so didn't realize Melanie Griffith was part of the cast.   She plays a character who is supposed to be a seductive 16 year old  but Melanie acts like 10.    

• Haha 1