Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  but are the trains authentic?      I ask since based on your knowledge of trains in NY in another noir,  Crack-Up,   the question is right up your alley;    Noir alley that is!

Oh yes,  it even shows footage of a locomotive taking up water from a track pan on the fly, at full throttle.  I don't know who or what RR came up with that idea but instead of stopping at a water tank to fill up the tender (the old method) the railroads that used the track pan built a pan between the tracks a couple of thousand feet long filled with water all the fireman had to do was lower a scoop to the pan and scoop up the water for the locomotive. Before that RR had water towers roughly every 50 miles.

• Like 1

I love the trains and tracks in Human Desire, and the film as a whole almost as much as The Big Heat.   He wasn't the greatest actor but I think Glenn Ford nailed the solid, taciturn, likeable average guy that these flicks called for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One thing about Glenn Ford is that he got a lot of work in films and -- by the Seventies -- television, too, from the 1940s through the early '80s.   Ford stayed quite busy for 40 years.  

Glenn Ford is usually good many do not like his style i have seen more than 70 films of him and it's not complete...Not a perfect actor but he was a reliable one.Anyway in westerns Ford is the actor with the  fastest draw 

13 hours ago, Katie_G said:

I love the trains and tracks in Human Desire, and the film as a whole almost as much as The Big Heat.   He wasn't the greatest actor but I think Glenn Ford nailed the solid, taciturn, likeable average guy that these flicks called for.

I'm a fan of Glenn Ford  and believe he is a fine actor but just that Human Desire isn't one of his best efforts.   Maybe it is because the character is kind of clumsy as well;  i.e. has no sense of direction after coming back from the war,  doesn't know what type of girl, if any,  he is interested in,   is misguided and kind of all over the map.

If Ford and Lang wanted Ford to act as he did to convey this than Ford did the job.    It just makes it rather difficult for me to rally around such a character.

• Like 1

I think you hit the nail on the head, JJ, he was supposed to be clumsy in the character, but it didn’t work.  
Ford does have that “universal angst” thing going on, which is his forte really.

As part of Gloria Grahame TCM SUTS I watched the noir Crossfire for the umpteen time.    First rate film.    

All three Roberts do a good job with Mitchum and Ryan giving what would be known as very within-their-screen-persona type performances.  

Robert Young impressed me the most as a disillusioned police detective.    One of my favorite performances by him.

Of course Malone focused on Grahame and while she has limited screen time she makes the best of it and the film,  as Malone stated,   pushed up her profile with producers and directors,  as well as fans.    Young and Mitchum look like themselves in this poster,  but Grahame and Ryan are "off".

Crossfire (film) - WikipediaCrossfire (1947) - Toronto Film Society

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

I also thought Robert Young was excellent in Crossfire and deserved some recognition.    The poster artists abilities seemed to vary quite a bit!

I really love how calm the detective is as played by Young;   E.g.  the end scene always get me;   Montgomery (Ryan),  tries to get away and Finlay (Young),  gets out his gun,  goes to a window,   shouts "Montgomery stop" and then shoots him down.    All in a day's work!

Also when Finlay tells the story about Irish-Americans in the 1840s;   he tells the story in a relaxed and calm manner,  ending with noting that the Irish-American in his  story was his grandfather!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Thompson said:

Warning, off topic.  Robert Redford doesn’t usually make me sit up and notice, but in 30 minutes TCM airs The Natural.  This is a good movie.

Instead of a warning about off-topic why not just post something like the above on the I Just Watched thread?

Just a suggestion.

PS:  I found The Natural boring and I'm a fan of baseball  (I say this last part since I know many people that believe baseball in general is boring).

I love "The Natural". I'm a lifelong baseball fan that played into my forties so I tend to be biased towards movies about our national pastime. Also, the movie was filmed in Buffalo (I grew up 20 miles away). I played ball with and against a few guys that were in the movie as extras. I haven't seen it in a few years and missed it today but it pops up on tv quite often so I'm sure I'll watch it again soon. Redford had a nice swing.

• Like 2

More funny poster art.  Is this supposed to be Lee Marvin?  It sort of looks more like Glenn Ford except Ford had darker skin and I don't remember him screaming at Grahame.  Any guesses?

14 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

More funny poster art.  Is this supposed to be Lee Marvin?  It sort of looks more like Glenn Ford except Ford had darker skin and I don't remember him screaming at Grahame.  Any guesses?

Looks like Tony Curtis to me :lol:

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

grahame3.jpg.2b8e29abd496688305667c18f4f45352.jpg

Yep, I'd suppose that that was supposed to be Glenn Ford there Katie, and given the fact that the first two credited leads in this film were him and Gloria Grahame, and that Lee Marvin's name is way down at the bottom.

But you're right. It sure doesn't look much like Ford, does it.

In fact, I'd say it looks about as much like Ford as Chevy (Chase) does!  ;)

• Haha 3
8 minutes ago, Shank Asu said:

Not at all, and i want to stay clear of politics and wish he could too. 

Colbert is a T.V. host of a politically centric show.       Asking him to "stay clear of politics" means you wish to put him out of a job.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Colbert is a T.V. host of a politically centric show.       Asking him to "stay clear of politics" means you wish to put him out of a job.

The Late Show never used to be politically centric.