Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 hours ago, Shank Asu said:

The Late Show never used to be politically centric.

Yes,  the initial "Late Show",  hosted by Letterman,  wasn't politically centric but the second iteration was designed to be politically centric  from the start since it was mostly a carryover of Colbert's routine from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (and that show was politically centric).     I view these two iterations of "The Late Show"  as completely different programs.

On 8/18/2021 at 6:00 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Instead of a warning about off-topic why not just post something like the above on the I Just Watched thread?

Just a suggestion.

PS:  I found The Natural boring and I'm a fan of baseball  (I say this last part since I know many people that believe baseball in general is boring).

Baseball is the king of sports.  It is the opposite of boring.  There’s no clock.  Can you imagine standing in the batter’s box and a 95mph slider is coming at you, and you are supposed to hit it?  Angels in the Outfield with Paul Douglas is my favorite baseball movie.  

• Thanks 1

Today at 5:00 pm Pacific is Johnny Eager, 1941  starring Robert Taylor, Lana Turner, & Van Heflin in his Oscar winning supporting role.  This is one I haven't yet seen and know little about so I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

oday at 5:00 pm Pacific is Johnny Eager, 1941  starring Robert Taylor, Lana Turner, & Van Heflin in his Oscar winning supporting role.  This is one I haven't yet seen and know little about so I'm looking forward to it.

I predict that you will like it. Van Heflin is particularly interesting in this one.

• Like 1

Some good news while waiting for the conclusion of Summer Under the Stars -

The remaining Noir Alley schedule for 2021 has been posted:

https://noiralley.tcm.com/schedule

More good news - there are no Noir Alley repeats scheduled through the end of the year.

Here is the list of films (Saturday evening dates shown):

09-04    Cloudburst (1951) robert preston
09-11     Drive a Crooked Road (1954) mickey rooney
09-18    Human Desire (1954) glenn ford, gloria grahame
09-25    Hell Bound (1957) (tcm premiere) john russell

10-02    The Glass Wall (1953) vittorio gassman, gloria grahame
10-09    Brighton Rock (1948) richard attenborough
10-16    The Dark Past (1948) william holden, nina foch
10-23    La bestia debe morir (1952) 'The Beast Must Die' (tcm premiere)
10-30    Strange Fascination (1952) (tcm premiere) cleo moore, hugo haas

11-06    Five Steps to Danger (1956) ruth roman, sterling hayden
11-13    The Lineup (1958) eli wallach
11-20    Johnny O'Clock (1947) dick powell
11-27    Tight Spot (1955) ginger rogers, brian keith

12-04    The Unsuspected (1947) claude rains, audrey totter
12-11     Cruel Gun Story (1964) (japanese)
12-18    Blast of Silence (1961) allen baron

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
9 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Some good news while waiting for the conclusion of Summer Under the Stars -

The remaining Noir Alley schedule for 2021 has been posted:

https://noiralley.tcm.com/schedule

More good news - there are no Noir Alley repeats scheduled through the end of the year.

Here is the list of films (Saturday evening dates shown):

09-04    Cloudburst (1951) robert preston
09-11     Drive a Crooked Road (1954) mickey rooney
09-25    Hell Bound (1957) (tcm premiere) john russell

10-02    The Glass Wall (1953) vittorio gassman, gloria grahame
10-09    Brighton Rock (1948) richard attenborough
10-16    The Dark Past (1948) william holden, nina foch
10-23    La bestia debe morir (1952) 'The Beast Must Die' (tcm premiere)
10-30    Strange Fascination (1952) (tcm premiere) cleo moore, hugo haas

11-06    Five Steps to Danger (1956) ruth roman, sterling hayden
11-13    The Lineup (1958) eli wallach
11-20    Johnny O'Clock (1947) dick powell
11-27    Tight Spot (1955) ginger rogers, brian keith

12-04    The Unsuspected (1947) claude rains, audrey totter
12-11     Cruel Gun Story (1964) (japanese)
12-18    Blast of Silence (1961) allen baron

Haven't seen

09-04    Cloudburst (1951) robert preston
10-23    La bestia debe morir (1952) 'The Beast Must Die' (tcm premiere)
10-30    Strange Fascination (1952) (tcm premiere) cleo moore, hugo haas

11-06    Five Steps to Danger (1956) ruth roman, sterling hayden
12-11     Cruel Gun Story (1964) (japanese)

Okay, this was actually a lot better than I expected or remembered.   Stoked to hear from Ben that it's been remade by Guillermo del Toro, with Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchette, Rooney Mara, Wllem Dafoe , et al.  This should be fun.

Nightmare Alley 2021 at Imdb

"Guillermo del Toro's version of Nightmare Alley (2020) isn't a remake of the 1947 film version but a re-adaptation of the novel."

• Like 1
15 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

It might not be a Noir Alley repeat, but Human Desire was just shown for SUTS Gloria Grahame day last week.

I didn't check for the rest, but this stood out because it's still on my DVR from the 17th.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Sorry to say that the premiere of Strange Fascination (1952) may be the first casualty of the schedule, as Cat People (1942) is currently listed during the Noir Alley times for the weekend of Oct. 30 and Oct. 31 instead.

That didn't take long!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

Sorry to say that the premiere of Strange Fascination (1952) may be the first casualty of the schedule, as Cat People (1942) is currently listed during the Noir Alley times for the weekend of Oct. 30 and Oct. 31 instead.

MOVIES-TV has been showing many of the Hugo Haas produced\directed\staring in films that feature Cleo Moore.

Strange Fascination is the 1st one they did.   

• Thanks 1

Watching it last night I never quite buy that a slick egotistical con man like Ty would fall apart after

he had to hightail it out of town after the spirit apparition went south and end up in a crummy hotel

room guzzling gin and sitting around the hobo campfire playing the every boy has a dog prediction 

routine. And he also forgot to check the money Walker gave him, not finding out immediately that

it wasn't $150,000 but $150. That's the first thing any con man worth his salt would have checked.

Of course all this allows him to be found by Coleen and be redeemed from his former life and start

all over again and rise from the chicken eating ashes. Ten to one he's back on the con within six

months. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

MOVIES-TV has been showing many of the Hugo Haas produced\directed\staring in films that feature Cleo Moore.

Strange Fascination is the 1st one they did.   

Was she his muse or something? LOL.

17 hours ago, Hibi said:

Was she his muse or something? LOL.

Cleo Moore made somewhat of a splash in the film On Dangerous Grounds (Ray directed Lupino\Ryan film),  and Columbia signed her to a contract since blonde bombshells were an item in the early 50s. 

What is surprising is that Columbia signed Haas to direct films allowing him to produce, write,  direct and act in them.    

14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Cleo Moore made somewhat of a splash in the film On Dangerous Grounds (Ray directed Lupino\Ryan film),  and Columbia signed her to a contract since blonde bombshells were at item in the early 50s. 

What is surprising is that Columbia signed Haas to direct films allowing him to produce, write,  direct and act in them.    

OVERACT. LOL.

10 hours ago, Katie_G said:

The more I think about Nightmare Alley 2021 remake,  it seems like a bad idea.    Supposedly it's due out Dec.2, but there's no buzz at all.  I picture a PC watered down version.

NightmareAlley2c.jpg.43b07fac79a750da330597d13f67fd8a.jpg

NightmareAlley2.jpg.ef53965bb7b75919e12b276fd046c0ad.jpg

They're releasing this for Christmas??? LOL!

12 hours ago, Katie_G said:

The more I think about Nightmare Alley 2021 remake,  it seems like a bad idea

That all depends on how one views new adaptations and what is a good or bad "idea".

E.g.  for a Producer who invested in such a project it is a "good" idea if it make money.   The quality of the work,  or how it stacks up to previous adaptations are  irrelevant.    

Very view general public  viewers are even aware of over 50 year old prior adaptations and those that are,  typically don't think in terms like:  I'm only going to see the new one if I'm told it is better than the prior one.