Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, Thompson said:

Now, just try it, try and edit your post more than once.  One edit is all you get.  The real weirdo thing is you can’t delete a post.  Dargo has been trying to delete his posts since he joined this board.  Lots of other boys and girls are in the same boat and are  not very happy about it.

Again,  NOT true that one can only edit their own post ONCE.

See above where I have:

This is the first edit. 

This is the second edit. 

EACH of these once done by hitting the 3 dots,  and going to "edit",  TWO different times.

Hey I'll edit it a third time if that will help you understand.  

2 hours ago, Thompson said:

But he can always say something again if he wants to.  His original post wasn’t deleted.  That’s freedom of speech.  I’m surprised that the board dudes are editing and messing around with Ms. Wonderful’s posts.  They seem to be okay, very thoughtful and on topic.

We were NOT discussing any editing by the TCM moderators but editing my US - US users of this forum.    

I assume by "board dudes" you mean the TC moderators.

As for "freedom of speech";   again,  another misunderstanding - that concept does NOT apply to a website hosted by someone else;   I.e.  they have a legal right to impose a code of conduct and enforce that.    If one doesn't like this code-of-conduct,  they can leave.     This is settled case law  (which is why the Trump lawsuit of Facebook \ Twitter was thrown out of court).

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I think it's a most excellent flick, one of Wilder's best and he made a lot of good movies. I have to admit that

I have less of a conscience than Joe Gillis. I would have leeched off Norma for much longer than six months,

though in a very gentle, caring way. Why not get the vicuna coat, the lady's buying. Exactamundo. Plus this would

be a great date movie. You've got the sweet love almost affair between Joe and Betty and for those interested

in something a bit more unconventional, the affair between Joe and Norma. So you've got things covered. Put

some popcorn in the microwave, snuggle up and enjoy.

Great review.   Get that tile waxed for any impromptu tangoing and you're all set!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Again,  NOT true that one can only edit their own post ONCE.

See above where I have:

This is the first edit. 

This is the second edit. 

EACH of these once done by hitting the 3 dots,  and going to "edit",  TWO different times.

Hey I'll edit it a third time if that will help you understand.  

True.  I've edited my own late-night posts several times as I sometimes post in haste, and don't catch spelling and/or grammatical errors the first time around.

55 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

Great review.   Get that tile waxed for any impromptu tangoing and you're all set!

Sunset Boulevard is indeed a first rate noir.    I only watched part of it last night since I have seen it many times.     I have had multiple discussions at this forum with regards to how much of a cad\jerk was Joe Gillis;   It appears that I view him more harshly than most others here.     In fact I pointed this out to my wife last night;

It was the scene where they are driving in Norma's car and stop at a "pharmacy" and Norma asks (really orders),  Joe to get her cigarettes.     (I put pharmacy in quotes since that is something else I explained to my wife last night,,,  how pharmacies were much different back-in-the day).

Joe meets his friend (played by Jack Webb),  and his gal (at the time),  Betty.     Betty tells Joe how she has been trying to get a hold of  him because the studio was interested in his story outline\half-baked screenplay.       Joe,   blows her off saying he is no longer interested.     Betty tells him that this impacts here since she wants to be a writer.   Joe could care less.      This is just another example of where Joe is a selfish cad that only cares about what impacts him.

I point this out to my wife but do say:  of course that doesn't mean Joe  should end up shot in a swimming pool,   but when a cad messes around with unstable people,  well, that is often what happens in a noir universe.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Does anyone know why Robert Preston was cast in this film by the British company Exclusive Film?     All the other films made around the same time where made in the USA by America production companies\studios,   and then there is this British film.

16 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Does anyone know why Robert Preston was cast in this film by the British company Exclusive Film?     All the other films made around the same time where made in the USA by America production companies\studios,   and then there is this British film.

There's a book called British Cinema of the 1950s, and on page 141, it states:

However, Hammer could not make large profits from British showings alone.  It co-produced Cloudburst (1951) with Alexander Paal with an eye to the American market, and cast Hollywood actor Robert Preston in the lead.  United Artists agreed to distribute the film, though they had no production input.  Cloudburst is the first Hammer B-feature aimed at the Americans, and it is also the first one in which class issues have been rendered invisible.

You could surmise that he was cast in order to have a familiar American name for the US audiences, and perhaps Hammer couldn't afford to get a bigger name from the US at the time.  Preston was pretty much relegated to B pictures at home at this time too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Though if you enjoy raucous New Years Eve parties with lots of guests don't stop by Norma's place.

One of my favorite lines is when Joe looks over the neglected swimming pool and muses on John

Gilbert and Pola Negri (or whoever the stars were) swimming there 10,000 nights ago. And Norma

wasn't one of those old film stars trying to put up a front financially. That babe was loaded and

didn't mind spending her loot if she wanted to. You go girl. 

I would have called that place a drug store, with a small pharmacy and more room taken up by a soda

fountain and miscellaneous items. I remember one I went to as a kid which kept the candy in rows

right close to the front door and not in a straight sight line to the employees. Tempting customers

like that ought to be a crime. And after all that, Joe forgot to take Norma's imported cigs with him. Mad at

the boy. I'm not much for formal wear, but he had some sharp looking suits that I wouldn't mind wearing.

My relationship advice to Gillis--try a little tenderness. 

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Though if you enjoy raucous New Years Eve parties with lots of guests don't stop by Norma's place.

One of my favorite lines is when Joe looks over the neglected swimming pool and muses on John

Gilbert and Pola Negri(or whoever the stars were) swimming there 10,000 nights ago. And Norma

wasn't one of those old film stars trying to put up a front financially. That babe was loaded and

didn't mind spending her loot if she wanted to. You go girl. 

Yes.  She owned 3 blocks downtown and oil in Bakersfield pumping, pumping, pumping...

3 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Yes.  She owned 3 blocks downtown and oil in Bakersfield pumping, pumping, pumping...

And the way that line was delivered implied that more than oil was pumping, pumping, pumping.

11 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I would have called that place a drug store, with a small pharmacy and more room taken up by a soda

fountain and miscellaneous items. I remember one I went to as a kid which kept the candy in rows

right close to the front door and not in a straight sight line to the employees. Tempting customers

like that ought to be a crime. And after all that, Joe forgot to take Norma's imported cigs with him. Mad at

the boy. I'm not much for formal wear, but he had some sharp looking suits that I wouldn't mind wearing.

My relationship advice to Gillis--try a little tenderness. 

I worked in one of those in high school, but the candy was kept behind the counter.  Very interesting learning experience, especially filling prescriptions at age 16.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

We were NOT discussing any editing by the TCM moderators but editing my US - US users of this forum.    

I assume by "board dudes" you mean the TC moderators.

As for "freedom of speech";   again,  another misunderstanding - that concept does NOT apply to a website hosted by someone else;   I.e.  they have a legal right to impose a code of conduct and enforce that.    If one doesn't like this code-of-conduct,  they can leave.     This is settled case law  (which is why the Trump lawsuit of Facebook \ Twitter was thrown out of court).

Okay I get that, and I do so love your use of i.e. and e.g., you work on crossword puzzles don’t ya?  I’m so ticked off James at these complete FOOLS  here in New Orleans with the aftermath of this hurricane I’m in a bad mood.  Pain is a thing you don’t mess around with, you don’t reason it away you fight it all the way until it’s gone.  

a🧑‍🏫🤿👨‍💻🧑‍🏫🦢🐇🙍

1 hour ago, Thompson said:

I’m so ticked off James at these complete FOOLS  here in New Orleans with the aftermath of this hurricane I’m in a bad mood.  

Hope you are safe and that things get back to some degree of normalcy for you and you're family.

(and yes,  I see those changes you made and thus shows how one can mess with someone's post by using the "quote" feature,  and that this is a bug TCM should fix).

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, ElCid said:

I worked in one of those in high school, but the candy was kept behind the counter.  Very interesting learning experience, especially filling prescriptions at age 16.

I imagine there were some interesting people to be met while filling prescriptions. If I recall correctly, the actual

pharmacist was toward the back of the store in his own little niche, just past the soda fountain. I never went

there for medicine. I went there to buy the new copy of Rolling Stone and to see if anyone was near the candy

counter. The owners must have had a lot of faith in human honesty. 

4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I imagine there were some interesting people to be met while filling prescriptions. If I recall correctly, the actual

pharmacist was toward the back of the store in his own little niche, just past the soda fountain. I never went

there for medicine. I went there to buy the new copy of Rolling Stone and to see if anyone was near the candy

counter. The owners must have had a lot of faith in human honesty. 

Tension (1949),    has a lot of scenes that shows how such a drug store in L.A. functioned in the 40s.

Tension 1949 - YouTube

• Like 2

My father- in- law many, many years ago was a pharmacist and owned a Rexall Drug Store in town. There was a soda fountain, counter and served ice cream. My husband and his brother worked there as a teenagers behind the counter. When we were first married it was the tail end of drug stores that had a counter with sodas and ice cream served. I think that was the last time I ever saw a drug store with a counter serving sodas and ice cream, except in old movies. Some might say progress came to town, no more soda fountains, instead, CVS opened a store in town. Not as much fun.

• Like 1
On 9/3/2021 at 4:36 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Exclusive Films Ltd. was a British film distribution company founded by comedian William Hinds (AKA "Will Hammer") and former cinema owner Enrique Carreras (father of James, grandfather of Michael). Exclusive eventually begat Hammer Films.

After Cloudburst, Exclusive allied with Robert L. Lippert, an American film producer and owner of a chain of movie theatres. Lippert would distribute Exclusive movies in the U.S.A. and Exclusive would exhibit Lippert's productions in the U.K. -- a mutually beneficial and profitable business association.  During the alliance of the two film companies, Lippert provided actors such as George Brent, Dane Clark, Zachary Scott, and Howard Duff to star in Exclusive productions -- thereby "guaranteeing" an American audience. Although Cloudburst was not an Exclusive-Lippert co-production, it anticipated the companies' successful trend of casting Yank actors in its British pix.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Tension (1949),    has a lot of scenes that shows how such a drug store in L.A. functioned in the 40s.

Tension 1949 - YouTube

I don't recall seeing Tension and it's not on YT. To show how poor my movie smarts are, I thought this was

a photo of Whit Bissell and Ruth Roman. My drug store was in a small town not a large city and the only

tension present was likely a mother who had to wait with her bratty kid for a prescription to be filled.

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Tension 1949 - YouTube

From Imdb:

Tension (1949):  "A meek pharmacist creates an alternate identity under which he plans to murder the bullying liquor salesman who has become his wife's lover."

I must have seen this on TCM, and loved it!   Richard Basehart was perfect for it - amazing as always and underappreciated, imo.

Anyway, Cloudburst is about to start.  My expectations are not real high, but they never are.  Less disappointment that way.  TTYL

• Like 1

Cloudburst (1951) interesting film. About a  6-7/10. Nothing I'd go out of my way to watch again. As with most Brit Noir the police are depicted as infallible and like the Canadian mounties "always get their man." 

I usually put on TCM and will be waiting for Noir Alley to start and I'll look up when I hear the familiar music. Not so this go round, both last night and this morning I didn't realize it was on until I heard Eddie speak. So what is the new intro sequence different visuals without music? Anybody pay more attention than I did?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

I usually put on TCM and will be waiting for Noir Alley to start and I'll look up when I hear the familiar music. Not so this go round, both last night and this morning I didn't realize it was on until I heard Eddie speak. So what is the new intro sequence different visuals without music? Anybody pay more attention than I did?

I’m not surprised that it was so easy to miss the beginning of Noir Alley.  TCM replaced the noir-esque graphics, taken from actual films noir, and “lonely trumpet” theme music with generic computer-generated graphics and electronic music that could have been for any program, on TCM or elsewhere.

The Noir Alley opening was a big, big disappointment.  (Eddie Muller made his usual excellent presentation nonetheless.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1