Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

14 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

My father- in- law many, many years ago was a pharmacist and owned a Rexall Drug Store in town. There was a soda fountain, counter and served ice cream. My husband and his brother worked there as a teenagers behind the counter. When we were first married it was the tail end of drug stores that had a counter with sodas and ice cream served. I think that was the last time I ever saw a drug store with a counter serving sodas and ice cream, except in old movies. Some might say progress came to town, no more soda fountains, instead, CVS opened a store in town. Not as much fun.

One I worked in was longish with soda fountain on front left and self-shopping items on right side.  Pharmacy in back behind a wall with items for sale.  In four years almost never saw either of the pharmacist/owners wait on a customer.  Couple of tables in middle front left over from days when store actually served food and similar items.  We only served dipped ice cream, milk shakes and soft drinks.  Also sold magazines and paperbacks, but owners stopped that in 1965.  

One major change was the things kept under the counters are now on full display for self-service.

9 minutes ago, BingFan said:

I’m not surprised that it was so easy to miss the beginning of Noir Alley.  TCM replaced the noir-esque graphics, taken from actual films noir, and “lonely trumpet” theme music with generic computer-generated graphics and electronic music that could have been for any program, on TCM or elsewhere.

The Noir Alley opening was a big, big disappointment.  (Eddie Muller made his usual excellent presentation nonetheless.)

I figured as much, thanks

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

I usually put on TCM and will be waiting for Noir Alley to start and I'll look up when I hear the familiar music. Not so this go round, both last night and this morning I didn't realize it was on until I heard Eddie speak. So what is the new intro sequence different visuals without music? Anybody pay more attention than I did?

Totally missed the opening as I was coming in with cup of coffee and Eddie was already there.  Must have been short as I usually arrive as former intro starts.

As for Cloudburst, interesting but not one I would watch again.  Sort of typical British Noir/mystery/crime movie of the period.  Thought the police solved the murder way too quickly.  Also, in reality Preston would have completed his planned action in the ending before anyone could stop him.  One thing that helped was that it was short at 83(?) minutes.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, ElCid said:

One I worked in was longish with soda fountain on front left and self-shopping items on right side.  Pharmacy in back behind a wall with items for sale.  In four years almost never saw either of the pharmacist/owners wait on a customer.  Couple of tables in middle front left over from days when store actually served food and similar items.  We only served dipped ice cream, milk shakes and soft drinks.  Also sold magazines and paperbacks, but owners stopped that in 1965.  

One major change was the things kept under the counters are now on full display for self-service.

My great aunt worked at an old-style drug store with a fountain (and booths!) for over 30 years.  Sometime in the 1980s the pharmacy part shut down and the owners just turned it into a full restaurant.  It's still open today.

• Like 1

I'm so glad Noir Alley is back. I found CLOUDBURST entertaining, but it's certainly not top shelf. Like others I would rate it a five or six out of ten.  As a big fan of Hammer films it was interesting to see how they got their start. As for the new opening, it doesn't appeal to me. Hopefully, that's the only change they make.

• Like 3

A long gone drug store in Lincoln Park had an extensive fountain counter service.  Norton's was the place.  two huge semi-circle counters with a seven seat straight counter in between(similar to the Carter's hamburger place) .  My buddy's sister worked there for a spell.    Cunningham's and Kinsel's were the only two other drug stores with fountain service, though not as big or nice as Norton's.  

Sorry for the digression.

Sepiatone

Cloudburst was a fine addition to Noir Alley. Eddie pointed out a major plot hole in his outro. I particularly enjoyed the codebreaker background. Robert Preston, as usual, is a solid actor who can carry a film whenever he has a leading role. Elizabeth Sellars was terrific as Preston's wife, as smart and fascinating as she was lovely. Not the usual noir. All in all, a well-made film of the right length.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I usually put on TCM and will be waiting for Noir Alley to start and I'll look up when I hear the familiar music. Not so this go round, both last night and this morning I didn't realize it was on until I heard Eddie speak. So what is the new intro sequence different visuals without music? Anybody pay more attention than I did?

3 hours ago, BingFan said:

I’m not surprised that it was so easy to miss the beginning of Noir Alley.  TCM replaced the noir-esque graphics, taken from actual films noir, and “lonely trumpet” theme music with generic computer-generated graphics and electronic music that could have been for any program, on TCM or elsewhere.

The Noir Alley opening was a big, big disappointment.  (Eddie Muller made his usual excellent presentation nonetheless.)

Aargh  !  The new Noir Alley theme/graphics is rubbish  !   I can't believe they chose to get rid of that atmospheric , very noirish theme music and evocative  black and white graphics based on actual noir movies for the flat 3 notes and forgettable  -- and coloured ! --graphic to herald the beginning of Noir Alley.  That former music and those graphics were part of the fun of the program.

True,  it's not a big loss in the overall scheme of things,  and Eddie's intro and outros were just as good.  But you just have to wonder why they were motivated to do this.   And that applies to the whole  "refresh" thing TCM is doing.  I hate all the new graphics,  they do look computer-generated, and also in colour !  Totally unnecessary.

I realize this will make me sound like an old fogie, being dragged kicking and screaming into the 3rd decade of the 21st century,  but honestly,  I just don't understand the whole concept of "change for the sake of change".   And in this case, the change to the look of TCM's  graphics and its musical themes is definitely not for the better.  

Ah, I remember when I first started watching this station.  I loved not only the films themselves,  but also the "look" of TCM,  they used to have fantastic "interstitials"  ( or whatever they're called) and very creative, atmospheric promos .  I remember one with what looked like a NYC subway ,  a woman dressing at a window in a brownstone building,  and people sitting at an all-night diner   (  a la Edward Hopper).   That's just one of many interesting, inventive little "bits" TCM would show to promote the station.   Way more creative and fun to watch than anything they do now.

Ok, guess I'm turning into this:

image.jpeg.4ee4a05ed29122b2bae5c101750d768b.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
On 8/19/2021 at 2:06 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Colbert is a T.V. host of a politically centric show.       Asking him to "stay clear of politics" means you wish to put him out of a job.

What is "politically centric"  ?  I've never heard that expression before.  Maybe it's an American thing.  Or maybe a jamesjazzguitar thing.  ?  Has it a similar meaning to " eccentric"  ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ah, I remember when I first started watching this station.  I loved not only the films themselves,  but also the "look" of TCM,  they used to have fantastic "interstitials"  ( or whatever they're called) and very creative, atmospheric promos .  I remember one with what looked like a NYC subway ,  a woman dressing at a window in a brownstone building,  and people sitting at an all-night diner   (  a la Edward Hopper).   That's just one of many interesting, inventive little "bits" TCM would show to promote the station.   Way more creative and fun to watch than anything they do now.

If they wanted to go color those Hopper-esque images would have been the way to do it agree. 

• Like 2

I found Cloudburst to be underwhelming, though like most movies it had some good scenes.

I was sympathetic to Preston's character after the tragedy of losing his wife, but when he went 

into full revenge mode he lost me. He did indeed go a little off his nut. I can see maybe killing the

driver of the car, but to kill the passenger too seems absurd. I was glad that he was apprehended 

at the conclusion of the movie. The stuff about code breaking was okay, but nothing special. Same

with the question of taking the law into one's own hands. Been done before. I'd give this one a

C+.

• Like 1
On 8/15/2021 at 4:35 PM, Thompson said:

Today is Judy Garland day.  Enough said.

On 8/15/2021 at 4:49 PM, Katie_G said:

Sometimes it feels like every day is Judy Garland Day on TCM.  Enough already.

Whaaat  ?  You guys don't  like Judy Garland ?  Come on, everyone,  get happy.

• Haha 2
On 8/18/2021 at 7:00 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

PS:  I found The Natural boring and I'm a fan of baseball  (I say this last part since I know many people that believe baseball in general is boring).

I realize some of my posts here are coming a bit late,  as in,  many days after the posts I'm responding to.  But I'm just catching up and trying to read all the posts from the last 3 weeks.

Anyway:   I love baseball.  I never used to,  I used to think it was boring.  But that was before I knew better,  You have to understand a little bit about the game before you can appreciate it,  but once you do,  you realize it's very elegant,  almost mathematically beautiful,  and quite exciting.  Plus,  I love the way the pitchers stare at the catcher to get the signs before they pitch.   

By the way,  the Blue Jays are up for the Wild Card spot in the finals,  I hope they get it.  They beat the Oakland Athletics 3 times this week.  ( ! )

On 8/23/2021 at 11:38 PM, Katie_G said:

The more I think about Nightmare Alley 2021 remake,  it seems like a bad idea.    Supposedly it's due out Dec.2, but there's no buzz at all.  I picture a PC watered down version.

NightmareAlley2c.jpg.43b07fac79a750da330597d13f67fd8a.jpg

NightmareAlley2.jpg.ef53965bb7b75919e12b276fd046c0ad.jpg

Katie,  that's really funny,  thanks for that,  I literally did laugh out loud !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/24/2021 at 3:47 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

With regards to a new adaptation of Nightmare Alley:    I would make the story about phony influencers and how they extort money from both sides of the fence:   E.g.  extorting hotels and resorts;  pay me X if you wish for me to recommend you.     Getting paid from consumers for these extorted recommendations.

Well, that sounds like a whole lot of fun.  How can that stuff compare to travelling carnivals and geeks?  Not very noirish.

• Like 2
On 9/3/2021 at 3:44 PM, Thompson said:

But he can always say something again if he wants to.  His original post wasn’t deleted.  That’s freedom of speech.  I’m surprised that the board dudes are editing and messing around with Ms. Wonderful’s posts.  They seem to be okay, very thoughtful and on topic.

They are ?  I hadn't noticed.   ( Maybe I should be flattered ?  )

On 9/3/2021 at 7:23 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Sunset Boulevard is indeed a first rate noir.    I only watched part of it last night since I have seen it many times.     I have had multiple discussions at this forum with regards to how much of a cad\jerk was Joe Gillis;   It appears that I view him more harshly than most others here.     In fact I pointed this out to my wife last night;

It was the scene where they are driving in Norma's car and stop at a "pharmacy" and Norma asks (really orders),  Joe to get her cigarettes.     (I put pharmacy in quotes since that is something else I explained to my wife last night,,,  how pharmacies were much different back-in-the day).

Joe meets his friend (played by Jack Webb),  and his gal (at the time),  Betty.     Betty tells Joe how she has been trying to get a hold of  him because the studio was interested in his story outline\half-baked screenplay.       Joe,   blows her off saying he is no longer interested.     Betty tells him that this impacts here since she wants to be a writer.   Joe could care less.      This is just another example of where Joe is a selfish cad that only cares about what impacts him.

I point this out to my wife but do say:  of course that doesn't mean Joe  should end up shot in a swimming pool,   but when a cad messes around with unstable people,  well, that is often what happens in a noir universe.

No,  no  no.  How many times did you say you'd seen this movie?    

Joe has two completely understandable , valid reasons for "rejecting" Betty.   First,  he is embarrassed and ashamed for Betty to find out that he is Norma Desmond's gigalo.

Second ,  he feels that, due to the situation described above,  he is not good enough for Betty.  He feels he doesn't deserve her.  But he knows if he tries to tell her this,  she won't accept what he says and will try to get him to stay with her  (  it's as much about their romance as it is about their writing partnership.)     Joe thinks that the only way he can set Betty free from him is to appear to reject her.  And, as stated,  he cares about her and doesn't want her to get mixed up with him and his sordid life.  He is not a cad when it comes to Betty, he's trying to free her to live a better life.  As for the screenplay,  I think he believes Betty is talented enough to finish it without him.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

No,  no  no.  How many times did you say you'd seen this movie?    

Joe has two completely understandable , valid reasons for "rejecting" Betty.   First,  he is embarrassed and ashamed for Betty to find out that he is Norma Desmond's gigalo.

Second ,  he feels that, due to the situation described above,  he is not good enough for Betty.  He feels he doesn't deserve her.  But he knows if he tries to tell her this,  she won't accept what he says and will try to get him to stay with her  (  it's as much about their romance as it is about their writing partnership.)     Joe thinks that the only way he can set Betty free from him is to appear to reject her.  And, as stated,  he cares about her and doesn't want her to get mixed up with him and his sordid life.  He is not a cad when it comes to Betty, he's trying to free her to live a better life.  As for the screenplay,  I think he believes Betty is talented enough to finish it without him.

My interpretation of that scene where Joe gives Betty the brush off was that he felt guilty that she’d fallen in love with him. Betty is engaged to Joe’s good friend Artie, a man whom Joe respects and feels is a great guy. He doesn’t want to be the “other man” and steal his friend’s girl. So he pretends to be happy being Norma’s boy toy so Betty will forget about him on her own accord. 

• Like 1

Robert Preston was very good in Cloudburst, but on the whole I found the film somewhat boring. Considering the subject matter of codebreaking, spies and murder, it could have been a bit more exciting.  Is it noir?  I don't know, that whole debate doesn't interest me much anyway.  He did wear a trench coat and fedora, but it seemed too much like window dressing.   These people didn't even smoke!   WTH?

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

Robert Preston was very good in Cloudburst, but on the whole I found the film somewhat boring. Considering the subject matter of codebreaking, spies and murder, it could have been a bit more exciting.  Is it noir?  I don't know, that whole debate doesn't interest me much anyway.  He did wear a trench coat and fedora, but it seemed too much like window dressing.   These people didn't even smoke!   WTH?

Robert Preston smoked a pipe didn't he?

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

My interpretation of that scene where Joe gives Betty the brush off was that he felt guilty that she’d fallen in love with him. Betty is engaged to Joe’s good friend Artie, a man whom Joe respects and feels is a great guy. He doesn’t want to be the “other man” and steal his friend’s girl. So he pretends to be happy being Norma’s boy toy so Betty will forget about him on her own accord. 

Right, speedy,  good point.  And that is consistent with the idea that Joe wants Betty to be happy.  There is some indication that Betty actually prefers Joe to her fiance,  and it's possible,  if the whole situation were different and Joe weren't living the sleezy life he is,  that he   ( Joe ) may have considered pursuing a relationship with Betty,  if Betty did indeed care more about Joe than about Artie.

However,  it's all moot,  since Joe doesn't want Betty to get mixed up with him and his shameful secrets,  so yes,  her engagement to Artie would have made it easier for him to "let her go".   It's about both Artie   and Joe's shame about his thralldom to Norma Desmond.  Either way,  he's not being selfish when he tells her he's not interested in her,  he's trying to free her to live a happy life without him.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Do you mean that by the time Joe runs into Betty and Artie in the drug-store,  Betty has fallen in love with Joe?     I guess that is the case;   Betty does treat Artie kind of poorly when he makes some jokes about Joe and his fancy cloths and being a keep man.

As for why Joe gave Betty the brush off:   That is a very sympathetic view of Joe.     I can see it,  but I don't fully buy it.     

• Confused 1
16 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Do you mean that by the time Joe runs into Betty and Artie in the drug-store,  Betty has fallen in love with Joe?     I guess that is the case;   Betty does treat Artie kind of poorly when he makes some jokes about Joe and his fancy cloths and being a keep man.

As for why Joe gave Betty the brush off:   That is a very sympathetic view of Joe.     I can see it,  but I don't fully buy it.     

I think Betty started to like Joe when they met in the studio office and discussed the screenplay idea—even if he was less than enthused about her ideas at first. Then they met again at the party and really bonded over the screenplay. It’s their mutual love of writing that made them start falling for one another. They continued to fall in love over their nights of writing. Their love for one another reaches its peak when they kiss, and that’s when Joe realizes that he needs to cut off the relationship. 

• Like 2

I had never heard of "Cloudburst" either until I noticed it on the TCM schedule.  Even Eddie Muller's introduction was rather boring, so I decided that the movie was not worth my time watching.  I don't feel that I missed much.