Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1950-51 Nash Statesman (that bobs up and down like a boat on an easy-glide suspension), The Nash Statesman is a hoot, you can't help but chuckle everytime you see tough guy Rocky driving around in what looks like a ridiculous upside down bathtub. :D

image.jpeg.ca990dcbe98988b30fa16659f0655252.jpeg

Image result for cry danger 1951

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

:D

A friend of mine had a car like that.  Only it was MUCH SMALLER and had a KEY sticking out of it's back!  :P

I didn't watch the movie all the way through( this time), and I DID kind of amusingly wait for BILL CONRAD or at least HY AVERBACK to say, "Hey, ROCKY!  Watch me pull a RABBIT outa my HAT!"  ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

1950-51 Nash Statesman (that bobs up and down like a boat on an easy-glide suspension), The Nash Statesman is a hoot, you can't help but chuckle everytime you see tough guy Rocky driving around in what looks like a ridiculous upside down bathtub. :D

Ah, The days when you had to have a towboat accompany you so you could park your car.

im reminded a little of THE FLYING WOMBAT from the charming 1938 Janet Gaynor comedy THE YOUNG AT HEART. 

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

This car looks somewhat like the French "Citroen", which is , ironically, almost identical to the French word for "lemon" - citron.

35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ah, The days when you had to have a towboat accompany you so you could park your car.

Hollywood got around that problem by always cleverly arranging it so that there was always a parking space waiting wherever the hero happened to arrive, be it in The Loop during rush hour or Times Square on a Saturday night.

Seriously, I offer ten dollars to anyone who can name a Golden Age movie where anyone is shown having to circle the block to find a parking space.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, AndyM108 said:

Hollywood got around that problem by always cleverly arranging it so that there was always a parking space waiting wherever the hero happened to arrive,Seriously, I offer ten dollars to anyone who can name a Golden Age movie where anyone is shown having to circle the block to find a parking space.

(As I recall) there is such a scene in GUN CRAZY, but they have ulterior motives in that one. 

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I used to have a photo of my dad circa 1950(ish ) standing in front of his car in the parking lot area of his apartment building in Thousand Oaks, CA. The car looks like this! I'm going to email this pic to him and find out if it's the same model. My sisters and I used to tease him that it looked more like something that should be in the water.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

im reminded a little of THE FLYING WOMBAT from the charming 1938 Janet Gaynor comedy THE YOUNG AT HEART. 

Actually the Nash's of the period were even more difficult to park.  In the pictures, note the front wheel wells.  Almost completely enclosed.  Very limited turning circle, but Nash kept them because they made the cars distinctive. (Compare to car picture at left)

The cars were considered very advanced for the time because they were more aerodynamic than other "boxy" cars.  And it was often referred to as the upside down bathtub style.  Packards were somewhat similar, but better looking.

Lot of police departments used these cars so they often show up in Noir, mystery and drama movies from the period.

Eddie had an interesting bit of information about the car during the outro.

• Thanks 1

CRY DANGER was one I'd seen before but remembered very little about, it's a well-made and very well acted film- the plot is slender, the end twist not one that'll floor you, and there's no punch to the finale (which is fine, but it does not make for a really memorable film.)

(SIDE NOTE- the first hour played fine, but i started having repeated sound sync and picture freeze issues throoughout the third act which i have to admit, marred my overall impression of the film.)

the sets and locations were great tho. if this had been a COLUMBIA picture, I guarantee you they would have had Powell stay in a "Hotel" with generic furniture, mid level shadows on the walls, and a philodenderon on the mantle.

the TRAILER PARK aspect really added something where something was needed.

I did liKE DICK POWELL very much in it, i've gotten familiar with his work on the radio lately, he was in a pretty good series called RICHARD DIAMOND, PI and he did a lot of other appearances (it's a medium he was really comfortable in.) ditto WILLIAM CONRAD, who will always be MATT DILLON (of GUNSMOKE to me.) He really seems to relish his role here, and he does a lot of lascivious things with his eyes in the part. The actor who played the William Bendixian "loopy war buddy" role was great, RHONDA FLEMING doesn't do anything besides look great- and it hurts the impact of the film- 

but the real scene stealer was JEAN PORTER AS "Part Time Model" (and full-time TREASURE) DARLENE. She really put the clamps to the battery of this thing every second she was on screen.

th?id=OIP.piRQM8PDpfmuaUdNT6wC1gAAAA&pid

YOU WERE TOO GOOD FOR THIS WORLD DARLENE!

• Like 4
13 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Noir AlleyVerified account @NoirAlley 4h4 hours ago

Get ready Noiristas! CRY DANGER ('51) hosted by @EddieMuller is on #NoirAlley tonight at midnight ET

DbWGydHW0AA2PpX.jpg

To Eddie,  did you like Dick Powell prior to his tough guy film 'noir persona?   Think he's in a closed to the public section GLENDALE'S "FOREST LAWN"-(& I think, but am not certain that June Allyson yrs later chose same area, do ou know?   As you know & by her own admittance she was almost equally in love with Alan Ladd

There is a special on youtube about Ladd, very sad too!   Do you know about it?   His mother died in his arms as a very young man, taking booze & something called "ANTPASTE"-(what is that?) & of course he followed suit yrs later in 1964 at age 50.  They used to have markers on the wall when casting people opposite Ladd, of whom was 5'6 at best & if you were taller you didn't get the role. Plus & this truly humiliated Alan, they would bring out a box for him to stand on a lot, or dig a hole for a co-star  Even in high school his nickname was tiny   Got photos of his wall niche very top "Freedom Maus.' in GLENDALE-(of course not to be confused with the park in Hollywood Hills)  But, like an imbecile I  missed the bust oif Ladd right there   DUH   Never had a desire to visit that other "F. Lawn"     "Farewell, My Lovely" (l944) is my fav. film noir of his.  Remade ok with Mitchum of course  PLEASE REPLY & I THANK YOU!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I used to have a photo of my dad circa 1950(ish ) standing in front of his car in the parking lot area of his apartment building in Thousand Oaks, CA. The car looks like this! I'm going to email this pic to him and find out if it's the same model. My sisters and I used to tease him that it looked more like something that should be in the water.

Back in those days a NASH & an EDSEL were considered laughing stocks

6 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

At least these huge cars were made in America

• Like 1

EDDIE, have they asked you to be a regular host yet?   & what are your top five or so favorite film 'noir pictures?

Though it's from the UK to me "THE THIRD MAN" is the epitome of what that genre should be

I already have copies - some recorded, some on DVD - of just about everything on Noir Alley. However I still record Noir Alley because Eddie Muller's comments make it worthwhile. I have the Olive Films DVD of Cry Danger, and it is a great copy, but there are no comments.

• Thanks 2
50 minutes ago, spence said:

Back in those days a NASH & an EDSEL were considered laughing stocks

Actually the Edsel did not come out unitl 1958 and was actually considered a fairly good car.  However, the timing was wrong as there was a recession and America did not want another mid-priced car, especially one that was not that different from Ford and Mercury.  The unique grill didn't help.

As for Nash, at the time of this movie they were fairly popular cars for the independent brands.  They eventually evolved into Ramblers and then American Motors.

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WILLIAM CONRAD, who will always be MATT DILLON (of GUNSMOKE to me.)

My most cherished memory of William Conrad is much more specific:

- This is a hot town. What do you call it?

- Brentwood.

Did you ever hear of Brentwood?

What do you do here nights?

They eat their dinner. They all come here and eat the BIG DINNER.

14 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Thanks for all the great replies gang. I checked the IMCDB & this is the pic they showed:

i299693.jpg

(which isn't a great pic) After posting here, I Googled (1950 Nash Ambassador Six Super Brougham 'Airflyte') & fopund a lot of decent pics of the car in question, even 1 from the movie:

239885-CryDanger14.jpg

Being born in '61 most of the cars seen in this era were long gone from the roads. I do recall the Nash Metropolitan in pics.

The other cars that bewildered me was on the Sat' night movie shown a couple of weeks ago (not Mystery Street). I had never seen the sedans that were being used as taxi w/ suicide doors.

Most of the vehicles I'm familiar w/ from the 40s & 50s are Chev & Ford pickups & large trucks, plus the '55 & up Chevs which are well known cars.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

What is this from? I am unfamiliar.

The opening scene from The Killers, set in a diner in Brentwood, New Jersey, where Conrad and Charles McGraw are a pair of hitmen waiting for "the Swede" (Burt Lancaster) to show up.

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WILLIAM CONRAD, who will always be MATT DILLON (of GUNSMOKE to me.

Well, some(I'd say most) of us aren't spending a lot of time listening to old recordings of old radio dramas, and really don't remember Mr. Conrad's "Gunsmoke" days.  For ME( and for instance) he will always be remembered as the erstwhile narrator for the ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE cartoon show.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1