Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For the record, MICKEY ROONEY was born September 23, 1920 in Brooklyn, N.Y.  His real last name was 'Yule'; his first name was either 'Ninnian' or 'Joseph'.  I don't know which first name is accurate. →  I just remember him being referred to as "Joe Yule, Jr." years ago when his real name was mentioned. 

DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD (1954) was released when Mr. Yule was 33.   I looked on the IMDb and Wikipedia and they both say the movie was released on March 10, 1954.  

I've come to appreciate Mickey Rooney in IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD over the years.  I like the part where air controller Paul Ford says to Mickey over the speaker "Who's flying the plane?"  Mickey then looks over at Buddy Hackett who's got the controls and says "NOBODY'S FLYING THE PLANE!"  That amused me greatly.  :)

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, 37kitties said:

Did he ever!

Really makes one wonder, doesn't it?

I always wondered about his marriage with Ava Gardner.  After knowing the stories how she slayed the mighty Sinatra (Ava's gardener), just can't imagine the dynamics of that relationship.

Just now, Shank Asu said:

I always wondered about his marriage with Ava Gardner.  After knowing the stories how she slayed the mighty Sinatra (Ava's gardener), just just imagine the dynamics of that relationship.

She was probably drunk the entire time.

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, 37kitties said:

She was probably drunk the entire time.

It really was the opposite.    Most nights,  Rooney was out with his buddies drinking while Ava was waiting at home.    

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Shank Asu said:

I always wondered about his marriage with Ava Gardner.  After knowing the stories how she slayed the mighty Sinatra (Ava's gardener), just can't imagine the dynamics of that relationship.

Well Mickey Rooney married or not,was hitting on every female at MGM,his reputation was  so bad he was nicknamed Andy Hard- on

• Haha 4
17 hours ago, wbogacz said:

In The Hardy Boys Andy Hardy movies I find him endearing.

The Hardy Boys didn't enter the video spectrum until 1969 with Ricky Nelson, when Rooney was in his 50's.

Thanks, yeah, that's what I meant.  I've never even seen a Hardy Boys!

I remember Mickey Rooney on the Marv Griffin Show, or one of those. He was obviously drunk or high. He spend the entire segment running around the set. It was amazing. There was another guest on at the same time and of a similar vein. Can't remember who,  Dean Martin?  Don Rickles?  Dunno. They were wild ones, whoever they be.. Off color jokes galore. Bad for Kids. I didn't think that then but in retrospect I think that now. I tried searching youtube for this but I couldn't find it.

33 minutes ago, laffite said:

I remember Mickey Rooney on the Marv Griffin Show, or one of those. He was obviously drunk or high. He spend the entire segment running around the set. It was amazing. There was another guest on at the same time and of a similar vein. Can't remember who,  Dean Martin?  Don Rickles?  Dunno. They were wild ones, whoever they be.. Off color jokes galore. Bad for Kids. I didn't think that then but in retrospect I think that now. I tried searching youtube for this but I couldn't find it.

It was probably Rickles.  Didn’t care for him particularly when I was young, now I think he’s a genius.  So quick, so irreverent, so funny, and he appears to be making everything up right on the spot.  Dean Martin is pretty quick too.

I wonder why Eddie's having Dana Delaney on this weekend.   Looking over her filmography I don't see anything I recognize as Gloria Grahame or neo noir-related.  Although I've seen Human Desire several times, I can't get enough of Ford and Grahame together.  One look at that big paw print and he was a goner...

HumanDesire1dd.jpg.f65344f7626f547a39d26f69050b0a85.jpg

31 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

I wonder why Eddie's having Dana Delaney on this weekend.   

She is the guest programmer for the Saturday evening slot.Maybe Eddie had 'the human desire' to have her sitting with him and talking about the film...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Film Noir Foundation now has a printed version of their magazine available again (sort of).   You can get it from Amazon for $14.95.  Members still receive the electronic, downloadble version.  

22 hours ago, Katie_G said:

I wonder why Eddie's having Dana Delaney on this weekend.   Looking over her filmography I don't see anything I recognize as Gloria Grahame or neo noir-related.  Although I've seen Human Desire several times, I can't get enough of Ford and Grahame together.  One look at that big paw print and he was a goner...

She is a big fan of Gloria Graham.  It's discussed in the Film Noir Foundation "magazine."

On 9/16/2021 at 12:27 PM, ElCid said:

She is a big fan of Gloria Graham.  It's discussed in the Film Noir Foundation "magazine."

Ah, that makes sense because I see that the movie right before Human Desire is another Gloria Grahame film.  Not sure if it's noir, but am excited and have to say it looks pretty darn good!

Man on a Tightrope, 1953  Directed by Elia Kazan.  Starring Frederic March, Gloria Grahame, Terry Moore
Synopsis: A Czech circus owner/clown and his entire troupe employ a daring stratagem in order to escape en masse from behind the iron curtain.

• Like 3
On 9/16/2021 at 12:27 PM, ElCid said:

Eddie appears smitten, even a fresh paint job on that clip job hairdo. 

3 hours ago, Moe Howard said:

Eddie appears smitten, even a fresh paint job on that clip job hairdo. 

And why wouldn't he be, Moe?

Dana was not only smart, witty and insightful in her discussions with Eddie this evening about the movies they showed together and about Gloria Grahame in particular, but she ALSO looked better than any 65 year old woman I think I've seen in a long long time TOO! Heck, she looks twenty years younger than that!

(...okay okay...and so I WON'T now be accused of being a "sexist pig" here who "objectified" her, let me NOW add here, better lookin' than any damn 65 year old MAN that I've seen in a long long time TOO...there! SATISFIED any "wokesters" out there???)  LOL

• Like 1

Dana was great. It's too bad TCM didn't publicize this more because I missed most of the Alain Delon film. I think she and Eddie are both obsessed with Grahame, and who can blame them?  Man On a Tightrope in particular showed Gloria's acting chops at their best.  She never overacted and always left you wanting more. I loved hearing about all the little actor's tricks and things only another actor would pick up on, like having her legs up in the air in both films, and putting her hands over the lamp. I'll be ordering the Noir magazine and looking forward to Dana's return in two weeks. And yeah, she looks hot for 65 - her cleavage is a lot better than my grandma's ever was.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Dargo said:

And why wouldn't he be, Moe?

Dana was not only smart, witty and insightful in her discussions with Eddie this evening about the movies they showed together and about Gloria Grahame in particular, but she ALSO looked better than any 65 year old woman I think I've seen in a long long time TOO! Heck, she looks twenty years younger than that!

(...okay okay...and so I WON'T now be accused of being a "sexist pig" here who "objectified" her, let me NOW add here, better lookin' than any damn 65 year old MAN that I've seen in a long long time TOO...there! SATISFIED any "wokesters" out there???)  LOL

I'm not knocking it.  She has had that effect for a loooong time, and many have fallen under her spell. She's got a unique youthful mischievous look. There's a ton of women her age that are stunningly beautiful, but not in her way. 

43 minutes ago, Moe Howard said:

I'm not knocking it.  She has had that effect for a loooong time, and many have fallen under her spell. She's got a unique youthful mischievous look. There's a ton of women her age that are stunningly beautiful, but not in her way. 

Uh-huh, for a long time, alright.

In fact, I remember her having an "effect" on ME way back in 1994, and when she sported THIS little look in that godawful Garry Marshall flick Exit to Eden...

OIP.Eivt4Wd5aY6zxJoh4JMMkQHaLG?pid=ImgDe

LOL

• Like 1