Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

45 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I hope she does, the one I own is  pretty crappy.

ihs5cfg.jpg

I started to read this book years ago, but never got very far into it. So it's not very good? I'm always reading several books at a time and I never picked it back up (a library book, had to return it after awhile).

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I started to read this book years ago, but never got very far into it. So it's not very good? I'm always reading several books at a time and I never picked it back up (a library book, had to return it after awhile).

Read it anyway, it was selling for a $100 on Ebay for many years,there was nothing on her then,it is a nice hardcover book.

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

As far as I know it's the only bio out on her

There is one by Mcfarland came out in 2011 softcover,i have to find if a hard over version exist,i collect McFarland books in hc only.It is by Robert Lentz.Ithink.There is also the book by Peter Turner but it is about her last years I did not read it-I  have seen the film  though.

I've only seen one Noir City magazine (summer 2012) but found it a great read, with an extensive article on Gloria Grahame in it. I mention this since there appear to be a some fans of the actress here, I was primarily interested in this particular zine because of a major article on one of my favourite films, The Breaking Point. Anyone here remember a poster on the boards then called Lori? She was a very sweet person and a big fan of John Garfield and was kind enough to send this Noir City to me.

Film Noir Foundation

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, nakano said:

There is one by Mcfarland came out in 2011 softcover,i have to find if a hard over version exist,i collect McFarland books in hc only.It is by Robert Lentz.Ithink.There is also the book by Peter Turner but it is about her last years I did not read it-I  have seen the film  though.

That last book was written by her boyfriend at the time? I wanted to see the film version, but it never played here. Don't think it got much of a release except in a handful of coast cities.

5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I've only seen one Noir City magazine (summer 2012) but found it a great read, with an extensive article on Gloria Grahame in it. I mention this since there appear to be a some fans of the actress here, I was primarily interested in this particular zine because of a major article on one of my favourite films, The Breaking Point. Anyone here remember a poster on the boards then called Lori? She was a very sweet person and a big fan of John Garfield and was kind enough to send this Noir City to me.

Film Noir Foundation

Yes, I remember her. Nice pic.

14 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Lori died nine years ago. But a simple, lovely tribute she created for her favourite star still exists on You Tube. You can feel her heart was really in this.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes I remember Lori, very sweet poster. I think she was a nurse. She wanted so badly to keep John Garfield's memory alive. Someone had posted at the time that she had passed, I remember how sad we all were.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, nakano said:

Yes Columbia 1953 i will have to check if it played before,I watched Naked Alibi 2 weeks  ago,it never played on TCM ,Graham is superb in it.

Nakano,  not to be contradictory,  but I'm pretty sure TCM has shown The Glass Wall before,  although not on Noir Alley.

Oh, wait,  sorry,  you're saying another film,  Naked Alibi,  has never played on TCM.  Never seen it, you're probably right about that one.

I know it's a bit late to chime in with comments about Human Desire, but there's been an election in Canada, so I was distracted for a few days.

Apparently Human Desire is based on a novel by 19th century French writer Emile Zola;  the novel is titled  La Bete Humaine  ( "The Human Beast",  sounds a lot better in French, doesn't it?   )   Vautrin,  you read this?   

Anyway,  I have  not read the novel,  but from the little I know of it,  it's very different from the Fritz Lang film  ( I haven't seen the earlier version, so can't comment on that.)   They really cleaned up the Glenn Ford character, for one thing.  In the novel he's a psycho who feels a compulsion to plunge a knife into women  (  yes,  their cleavage, there you go, Thompson,  cleavage plays an important part  ).  I remember seeing a copy of the Zola novel lying around at some family member's,  it had a very lurid cover which attracted my 13 year old mind,  and I "perused" it enough to realize it was about a man who could not separate sexual arousal from his homicidal impulses.   yuck.  I know Zola is a revered writer,  but it certainly put me off wanting to read anything by him from that point on.

About Human Desire:  It's got a lot of plot flaws,  or at least,  weaknesses in the depiction of the characters, as others have pointed out.  Its two main strengths are all those railway scenes.  I love trains,  I love everything to do with rail travel.  I really enjoyed all those train trips,  I looked out the window like I was a passenger and enjoyed seeing all that 1950s looking scenery flashing by.  Trains,  train tracks,  railway stations,  all those old shacks  around the stations  (  perfect for illegal sexual liasons )  ,  so atmospheric and mysterious,  I love all that.  Major saving grace of the film.

The other saving grace is Gloria Grahame,  an actress I like a lot  ( although perhaps not as much as Dana Delany does  ).  I always enjoy her performances, she's different from all the other actresses from that era.  She's not traditionally beautiful, yet she's very appealing looking.  And she has a unique screen presence.   Her character   in Human Desire  is,  I believe,  sympathetic.  To me there's no question that this Owens guy molested her when she was a teenager.  Nowadays such behaviour would be completely reviled,  Owens would go to prison.  Back then,  it was "just one of those things that happens,"  and the blame always seemed to go to the poor young girl,  rather than the rich older man.  

• Like 8
1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes I remember Lori, very sweet poster. I think she was a nurse. She wanted so badly to keep John Garfield's memory alive. Someone had posted at the time that she had passed, I remember how sad we all were.

Lori was really one of the most polite and courteous posters. She passionately supported John Garfield, for whom she felt great compassion due to his early death and the Red Scare circumstances surrounding it. She had also been in contact with the actor's actress daughter, Julie, and was trying to get a petition to pressure Warner Brothers into releasing a Garfield box set of DVDs. The sudden announcement of her death came as a real shock to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, that's true. You need to be presentable and know how to talk for 5 mins. on a subject and have some knowledge of what you are talking about.

Yes, and it also helps if the person in question while knowing HOW "to talk" would also possess a pleasant sounding voice, AND such as Miss Delany possesses.

(...yeah yeah, I know...there goes Dargo again with his whole "the sound of one's voice" thing again...but damn it, it DOES make a difference...at least for ME anyway!!!)

I wonder if Dana watched the 1976 horror opus starring Richard Basehart, Trish Stewart and . . . Gloria Grahame.  Dr. Richard Basehart is out to get some eyeballs 👁️ to put into his daughter's head after she loses her sight in an auto accident.  Gloria is Dr. Basehart's assistant.  Pretty soon the basement cage is full of people without eyes in their •sockets• because the sight from the transplanted eyeballs doesn't keep his daughter "in sight" for long!  So he needs MORE eyeballs all the while his daughter's eye 'area' is getting more scarred from all the transplants.  👁️ 

Will MANSION OF THE DOOMED air on TCM starring Miss Grahame?  Keep your EYES 👁️ peeled! 

Also stars Lance Henriksen. 

Miss W, I read La Bete Humaine eons ago and don't recall many of the details, but I agree that the

characters in the novel are a lot more down and dirty than in the movie. In my limited experience

of Zola's novels there are few good characters. There are the downright bad and the somewhat less

bad. If you don't want a dark view of human nature, stay away from most of his books, though they

do a fine job of presenting a realistic take on that view. I have the old Penguin Classics version of

the novel. It has a classy cover from a detail of a painting by Monet that looks something like a train.

At least I think it's a train. Monet was no Manet.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

HEY! And right in the middle of the years the movies are made that TCM shows, TOO!

LOL

(...okay okay...so I'm STILL proud of that little calculation I made in the latest TCM complaint thread around here...so sue me!)

15 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Just practicing my free linked pics skills ...

One reviewer called Hell Bound  "Like "The Killing" But with Foot Fetishism and Trains"  😄

Hell_Bound_poster.jpg

June Blair was Playboy's Playmate of the Month,  the same year Hell Bound came out (1957).     Here is a photo where she is paying a lot of attention to her feet.

Don't know if the photo was  taken on a train or not.

Margaret June Blair (born October 20, 1933, San Francisco, California) is  an American model and actress. She is best known for being Playboy  magazine's Playmate of the Month for its January 1957