Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 hours ago, unwatchable said:

By the way- and perhaps it's already been discussed in this thread- what is the deal with the stutter in that print of Hell Bound? Is this perhaps an artifact of worn-out sprocket holes in the print from which the transfer was made? It's funny, because I didn't really mind it. This stutter seems appropriate for a film like this, along with things like muddy sound and poor splicing.

I noticed that too.  I thought it was the result of a faulty digital transfer. It was very slight. I hardly noticed it after awhile. The thought occurred to me also that it was somehow commensurate with such a film as this.

40 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Thanks for that, James. It might have been my satellite  causing the stutter (I recorded the midnight showing of this film), but it sure seemed in sync with 24 fps. I haven't seen it since. Anyway, if no one else saw it, never mind.  :D

Someone on Facebook wrote that he had the same issue with Hell Bound.

On 9/26/2021 at 11:10 AM, cigarjoe said:

Gotta love the subtext diggs the film  gets in on Jordan Paula telling him he should go see a doctor when she doesn't feel any response to her kiss and pelvic machinations. Then later when  Jordan confronts her his weapon (knife) it's only 2 inches long. lol

It's no wonder she survived with a knife that small! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, ElCid said:

I thought it interesting that Russell needed money to finance the operation, but he had enough to hire actors, camera people, access to a ship and a Public Health Services craft,  etc.  I would prefer the old fashioned way where the crook lays it all out on paper for the financiers. 

June Blair was good enough, but I question whether a "first aid book" would have provided the necessary training for her to substitute as a nurse on an ambulance and apparently for one week.

EDIT:  Speaking of June Blair, we have a Christmas episode of Ozzie and Harriett on DVD where the Nelson boys and their wives are in the closing scene, along with a very young Tracy Nelson.  I will probably never look at it again without thinking of June and Playboy.

LOL. Yeah, that was a very hard to swallow part of the plot. Like the "substitute nurse" could fake medical training on the job? Yeah, right. I never realized David's wife was a Playboy playmate! Wonder what Oz and Harriet thought of that? LOL! (Bet Ozzie took a few peaks at the centerfold)

I enjoyed the film, despite the implausibilities. And it had enough jolts and twists to keep me interested.  Loved the ending.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, ElCid said:

Speaking of B and C movies, often wonder what to call many of the the less than A movies.  OK, B was for the ones in 30's, 40's and so forth that played on the bottom of the billing after the A movie.  Was it still a B movie if it was the only movie at the theater or on a double billing with another B movie?  My home town had two theaters - one for A movies and one for the "others."  The others were either B or Saturday morning kiddie movies or 2nd or 3rd running of an A movie.  I actually don't remember seeing a lot of double features when I was in high school or college in the 60's.  Maybe they had died out by then.

Then there were straight to drive-in movies.  Guess they would be D movies?

If you want to see less than B movies, check out Tubi and its Shout and other providers.  Must be thousands of them.  Not saying there are not good movies there, but a lot of less than A ones to choose from.

And then there were "programmers" which had sometimes A list stars slumming in B material.......

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, laffite said:

I don't blame you for falling asleep. Not that he is boring, but he just seems to go on and on and often the later part of the segment involves minutia that I am not particularly interested in. I don't think about this in advance but I usually end up fast forwarding to the movie; on with it, already.  

Re Eddie, I made a similar comment a few weeks ago. He certainly looked alright during the segments with Mank recently but they might have been taped awhile back. But I agree, he doesn't appear to be quite in the pink. But I certainly hope that he is.

Isn't that something that sometimes appears in comedies?

I noticed that too. He seems to have lost some weight. 

I noted the 'stutter' in HELL BOUND.  Irritated me.  I've noticed when TCM airs SHOW BOAT [the one with Howard Keel and Ava Gardner] you see that 'stutter' in the way the picture moves.  → It's /jerky/ and not smooth like it should be. 

Maybe Eddie is on a diet?  Maybe his doctor recommended he lose a few pounds.  Hope that's all it is. 

14 hours ago, unwatchable said:

It could be an issue with DirecTV.   Laffite, who's your provider, if you don't mind me asking?

No,  I'm pretty sure it was a problem with the copy TCM showed. The reason I say that is,  I live in Canada, where obviously my television service provider is a totally different company.  So if  I also saw the "stuttering"  (which I did ),  and I 'm in an altogether different country,  that suggests to me it had nothing to do with the service provider, but came from the source of the broadcast,  the film itself.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I noticed that too. He seems to have lost some weight. 

People who lose weight can sometimes look very drawn.

Bugs Bunny - Wikipedia

"Nothing wrong with that, Doc."

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, laffite said:

I think what is meant by stutter is like a skip in motion on screen, but much less in intensity.

Yes. Persistence of vision obscures the 24fps film frame rate and the 30/60fps video frame rate, but when watching Hell Bound I could see what appeared to be breaks (or stutters) between the frames.  As Laffite suggested, these artifacts are likely due to a wonky transfer.

• Like 1
On 9/25/2021 at 10:21 PM, Katie_G said:

How about a game while we're waiting for the next Noir Alley?   I'll post some quotes and you guess what noir they're from.   If no one guesses right I'll post more quotes.    First set of five.

Can we keep Games and Trivia confined to the Games and Trivia threads? Please, and Thank You.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, wbogacz said:

Can we keep Games and Trivia confined to the Games and Trivia threads? Please, and Thank You.

Sorry Officer, just killing time in between films and conversations.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
19 hours ago, laffite said:

I don't blame you for falling asleep. Not that he is boring, but he just seems to go on and on and often the later part of the segment involves minutia that I am not particularly interested in. I don't think about this in advance but I usually end up fast forwarding to the movie; on with it, already.  

Re Eddie, I made a similar comment a few weeks ago. He certainly looked alright during the segments with Mank recently but they might have been taped awhile back. But I agree, he doesn't appear to be quite in the pink. But I certainly hope that he is.

No, my falling asleep at the outset wasn't a reaction to Muller and the info but a phenomenon that sometimes happens to me when I'm anticipating the viewing of a film I've never seen before.  I get all ready, then wham!  I start dozing off.  Don't know why this happens, but in the case of HELL BOUND I'm happy to report that it's playing on the TCM website!  Yay!  

Eddie appeared to have lost some weight, but he also sounded hoarse.  I'll check him out again when I see HELL BOUND this evening.

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

I have a different cable and it was the same. Had to be the film.

In thinking about it, I do remember a "stutter" that eventually disappeared.  Not so sure about anything anymore when I read critiques of different TV's.  Seems that some technologies increase viewing problems.  Then you add in the different ways they "broadcast" now and who knows where the problem is.