Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4 minutes ago, Thompson said:

I’ve probably said this before, but Greer’s lips were lipstick red in that black and white movie.  How do they do that?

Assume you are speaking of Out of the Past and not Hell Bound?  Greer became one of my favorites after seeing her in Out of the Past and The Big Steal.  Two movies with Robert Mitchum, but entirely different well played characters for Greer.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Assume you are speaking of Out of the Past and not Hell Bound?  Greer became one of my favorites after seeing her in Out of the Past and The Big Steal.  Two movies with Robert Mitchum, but entirely different well played characters for Greer.

Yes, Out of the Past.

Dang, folks. Muller can't catch a break.  Entropic forces are inescapable. As people get older, they look older, and as far as Muller's weight is concerned, he's slim compared to the average American these days.  The man is in his early sixties. May I suggest we cut him a bit of slack?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Dang, folks. Muller can't catch a break.  Entropic forces are inescapable. As people get older, they look older, and as far as Muller's weight is concerned, he's slim compared to the average American these days.  The man is in his early sixties. May I suggest we cut him a bit of slack?

Entropy?  Certainly Thomas Pynchon is not involved.  I think Eddie should come clean.  You don’t go on a “diet” when there is no reason to.

14 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Actually I have not noticed any significant changes in Eddie Muller's appearance. 

Regardless, 40% of Americans are obese.  Also think there are two effects of the Covid pandemic re: weight.  Some people sit at home, order in food and eat everything they can.  Others cut down on intake because they do not have food delivered, go out to eat a lot less and even cut back on going for take out food.  I did and I lost weight (which I needed to).

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

I didn't say he was FAT, just that he could stand to lose a few pounds.

1 hour ago, Thompson said:

I think Eddie should come clean.  You don’t go on a “diet” when there is no reason to.

Sorry, I'm a bit slow at times on the uptake. What is it that the man should come clean about?   Concerning going on a diet for no reason- well, if one goes on a diet, it's implicit there's weight to be lost, and that's a reason. Beyond that, I'm uncertain of what you mean.

Are the Noir Alley intros and outros live?  Not live but say same day or week?  Certainly the

28 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Sorry, I'm  bit slow at times on the uptake. What is it that the man should come clean about?   Concerning going on a diet for no reason- well, if one goes on a diet, it's implicit there's weight to be lost, and that's a reason. Beyond that, I'm uncertain of what you mean.

Well I certainly hope you guys are right.  That’s all.  I don’t like it when people lose weight and look off.  Eddie doesn’t need to lose any weight, IMO. 

3 hours ago, unwatchable said:

I'm certain the intros are taped in advance, but I don't think it's a period of months.

I never thought of that, and I guess you give credit to Eddie and the crew for making it seem real time.  Another thing that dawned on me is Eddie is most probably working for a boss.  I never thought of that either.  I don’t like to think that Muller could be under the influence of a boss - some higher up telling him how to slant things.  No, there’s no way that could be.  The higher ups can decide to retire Noir Alley, but they can never retire Eddie Muller, because he is a free man and not a number.

On 9/25/2021 at 6:21 PM, Katie_G said:

How about a game while we're waiting for the next Noir Alley?   I'll post some quotes and you guess what noir they're from.   If no one guesses right I'll post more quotes.    First set of five.

12 hours ago, wbogacz said:

Can we keep Games and Trivia confined to the Games and Trivia threads? Please, and Thank You.

Katie,  just want you to know that I had no problem with your Noir Quotes idea.  I'm just disappointed with myself that I could only get one out of the five.

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

Where and how could you get the new Noir Alley magazine?  Is it at the TCM shop?

You have to become a member/contributor of the Film Noir Foundation.  It is electronic, but they have a deal where you can purchase a printed version of Noir City News from Amazon.  Not sure if you can just purchase the printed version without becoming a member or not. 

https://www.filmnoirfoundation.org/home.html

To my knowledge, The Film Noir Foundation is not connected with TCM other than Eddie Muller hosting Noir Alley and now performing other "hosting" duties.

4 hours ago, ElCid said:

You have to become a member/contributor of the Film Noir Foundation.  It is electronic, but they have a deal where you can purchase a printed version of Noir City News from Amazon.  Not sure if you can just purchase the printed version without becoming a member or not. 

https://www.filmnoirfoundation.org/home.html

To my knowledge, The Film Noir Foundation is not connected with TCM other than Eddie Muller hosting Noir Alley and now performing other "hosting" duties.

I bought the latest print edition (Gloria Grahame on the cover) from Amazon. Got it in three days.

Takeaways from a viewing of Hell Bound -

1. Using a junkie, as well as a seriously sick person, as part of a criminal master plan might not ensure a perfect execution of that plan.

2. Stabbing someone with a one inch knife might not finish that person off.

3. Never hide in an empty train car when ten tons of scrap metal are being dropped in similar empty cars around you.

These are life lessons I will forever carry with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

And for those who don't think things could get worse on Noir Alley . . .

Dave Karger on Twitter: "Feels great to be back in a proper TV studio for  the first time in over six months. Taking all the important and necessary  precautions while shooting Star

"Hi, I'm Dave Karger, Eddie Muller's gone and and from now on I'm your new host of Noir Alley. Actually it's no longer called Noir Alley. From now on the Saturday night and early Sunday morning time slots will be known as The Best of Allyson because, that's right, folks, TCM will be showing films of one of my all time favourites, June Allyson. Our feature film tonight is Two Girls and A Sailor, a musical about two sisters who want to entertain soldiers. Please count with me the number of times June smiles and says, "Golly, gee.""

• Haha 5

Tom, I love your list of takeaways from Hell Bound.  I also learned a thing or two.

When a stabbing victim goes down, it's a perfect opportunity for one final closeup of her feet.  Kinda like Norma Desmond.

In the fifties you were better off calling a cab than an ambulance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
55 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

Tom, I love your list of takeaways from Hell Bound.  I also learned a thing or two.

When a stabbing victim goes down, it's a perfect opportunity for one final closeup of her feet.  Kinda like Norma Desmond.

In the fifties you were better off calling a cab than an ambulance.

I suspect that Hell Bound might win the Cecil B. De Mille Award For Most Frequent Closeups Of A Woman's Foot

• Haha 1