Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 hours ago, TomJH said:

Takeaways from a viewing of Hell Bound -

1. Using a junkie, as well as a seriously sick person, as part of a criminal master plan might not ensure a perfect execution of that plan.

These are life lessons I will forever carry with me.

Tom,  I really enjoyed your  "life lessons from "Hell Bound"  "  list.   I'm afraid, however,  that I'm not above pointing out that I already observed lesson number 1 on an earlier post, see below.

On 9/26/2021 at 4:23 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Main lesson of the story: If trying to organize a complicated heist,  do not enlist the participation of a type 1 diabetic , nor a heroin addict.

If I were a better person, not someone petty enough to want to take credit for life lessons derived from C movies,  I would resist the desire to repost my own thoughts on the matter.  But I'm only on Step  2 of the 12-Step  "How to be a Better Person" guide   (available on amazon for 50 cents.)

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Katie_G said:

Tom, I love your list of takeaways from Hell Bound.  I also learned a thing or two.

In the fifties you were better off calling a cab than an ambulance.

...although,  look out if you're the actual cab driver,  especially one who delivers illegally obtained keys,  you might get run over in a walled laneway.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, TomJH said:

And for those who don't think things could get worse on Noir Alley . . .

Dave Karger on Twitter: "Feels great to be back in a proper TV studio for  the first time in over six months. Taking all the important and necessary  precautions while shooting Star

"Hi, I'm Dave Karger, Eddie Muller's gone and and from now on I'm your new host of Noir Alley. Actually it's no longer called Noir Alley. From now on the Saturday night and early Sunday morning time slots will be known as The Best of Allyson because, that's right, folks, TCM will be showing films of one of my all time favourites, June Allyson. Our feature film tonight is Two Girls and A Sailor, a musical about two sisters who want to entertain soldiers. Please count with me the number of times June smiles and says, "Golly, gee.""

Muller asks viewers to contact him on Twitter or his website. But not on the TCM Message Board. Golly gee, I wonder why.

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Did the errant member face any disciplinary action?

No and Eddie's responses implied he didn't wish for there to be any.      Eddie did clarity a few of the bogus assumptions that this member made;  E.g.  that Eddie doesn't love films in general and only noir and even with noir,  he wasn't very knowledgeable.     Eddie didn't come off as defensive,   but instead made that member look foolish.

• Like 1
Just now, JamesJazGuitar said:

Eddie did clarity a few of the bogus assumptions that this member made;  E.g.  that Eddie doesn't love films in general and only noir and even with noir,  he wasn't very knowledge.   

Good heavens! Bonehead of the Year. How wrong can a person be?

16 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Did the errant member face any disciplinary action?

Nope! They are no longer here (that I know of) thankfully. She/he went by the name of cavegirl, an opinionated know-it-all whom was widely disliked.

3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Tom,  I really enjoyed you "life lessons from "Hell Bound"  "  list.   I'm afraid, however,  that I'm not above pointing out that I already observed lesson number 1 on an earlier post, see below.

If I were a better person, not someone petty enough to want to take credit for life lessons derived from C movies,  I would resist the desire to repost my own thoughts on the matter.  But I'm only on Step  2 of the 12-Step  "How to be a Better Person" guide   (available on amazon for 50 cents.)

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions.  That’s an AA required read.  The Big Book with Bill W. is the main bible.  It’s a must read.  If you honestly work the program you have a chance.  But  you have to bond with your new neighbors. I might could bond with that sexy brunette sitting three chairs down, but I doubt that will ever happen.

• Haha 1

I kinda liked cavegirl. She was interesting if a bit kooky at times. They would be gone for months and then

suddenly pop up. I recall one time Eddie replied and said something like Have you ever had a book on the

NYT's best seller list?  Don't be a dick, Ed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, unwatchable said:

I was curious if they were still here, but I was afraid the answer might be "yes"

No one here now posts in the style he/she did, so I don't think so

1 minute ago, Vautrin said:

I kinda liked cavegirl. She was interesting if a bit kooky at times. They would be gone for months and then

suddenly pop up. I recall one time Eddie replied and said something like Have you ever had a book on the

NYT's best seller list?  Don't be a dick, Ed.

She deserved that! I could not stand her.

I liked Cavegirl. I do believe however that once she assumed this persona (with another screen name) that had an ax to grind about something and damn if I can remember what it was. Something about Bette Davis and about an issue of which she (the poster} believed the contrary of conventional wisdom and was adamant about it expressing herself with intelligent exuberance and humor. I should say at this point that it was never proven that it was Cavegirl, it was a sort of assumption of mine. Anyway, she latched on to me and we had a series of exchanges that were but only mildly contentious and with an undercurrent of mutual respect. It was not one of those knockdown drag out and overtly venomous back and forths, It was rather a lot of fun and then suddenly she disappeared. I was disappointed and posted about it by quoting the the first few lines of a Schubert song (after Goethe) which went like this:

So hab ich wirklich dich verloren,
Bist du, o [Schöne]1, mir entflohn?

(So have I really lost you, have you from me flown away) approximate quote

...which of course is obviously a love song but which I attempted to use only mockingly so.

I should say for accuracy's sake that it was probably not Cavegirl but I thought it could have been at the time.

She never came back. The whole thing seemed like a dream as it does today. Our posts to each other were very long but they were certainly not about love. I missed her because of the fun of it. 

Where are the posters of yesteryear?

I am tempted to scroll down the long list of screen names on the site because I would certainly recognize the name. She (or he, possibly) actually changed names midstream.

But truly, I thought Cavegirl was interesting. Wasn't she particularly adept of coming up with great thread titles and an interesting first posts? I think so.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

She deserved that! I could not stand her.

I don't recall all the details and I can't even recall if cavegirl was the poster. I believe there was another

poster who liked to take shots at Eddie. I found his reply to be silly and a bit immature, but it's all ancient

history now. In regard to Eddie's appearance, maybe all his jokes about drinking weren't jokes and he

got hold of some bad hooch. It can happen to anyone. 🙂

• Like 1
16 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Tom,  I really enjoyed your  "life lessons from "Hell Bound"  "  list.   I'm afraid, however,  that I'm not above pointing out that I already observed lesson number 1 on an earlier post, see below.

If I were a better person I might admit that I had possibly glanced at your observation before I arrived at my three life lessons from Hell Bound, Miss W. However, since I'm also going through the same "How To Be A Better Person" guide and am currently stuck on Step 1 "Admit You're Not Perfect," I will do no such thing. Besides, this is Noir Alley and in these dark postings anything can happen. Well, it's better than a ton of scrap metal landing on you.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Katie_G said:

Let's get this Hell Bound trolley back on track.   I also learned there's no discount for blind customers in a strip joint.

He could hear the click clack of her high heeled  shoes,  knew where she was on the stage, could smell her perfume, and the subtle difference when a garment was seductively discarded, feel the tension in the room.  Plus he was a pretty shrewd dope peddler.

There’s not many striptease girls that can excite and entrance a blind man.  I thought the stripper was great, surely a professional.  It’s all about the dancing.  If you can’t dance you can’t be a stripper. And if you can’t act you can’t be an actor.

Note that Hell Bound  was produced by Howard W. Koch;   He was a producer and director working mainly for United Artist and during the 50s was associated with some films that are similar (in some ways) to Hell Bound;   

He directed and produced Shield for Murder (1954) with Edmund O'Brien and Mara English (with Carolyn Jones as Girl-at-the-bar) and , Big House USA (1955) with Broderick Crawford, Ralph Meeker and an up-and-coming Charles Bronson:

He directed  The Girl in Black Stockings (1957) with Mamie Van Doran and Ann Bancroft,  and Untamed Youth (1957) again with Van Doran and Lori Nelson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

It seems like you need to know just those couple of stripper moves, and how to hold on to an aluminum pole while you're upside down, without falling on your head.

But you have to do it with style.