Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The pole is really the bane of dancers.  I guess it’s essential for the twirls and leg action but a runway is much better.  The squat is the killer move, along with the smile and finger to the lips saying it’s just our secret.

14 minutes ago, Thompson said:

The squat is the killer move, along with the smile and finger to the lips saying it’s just our secret.

It's just between her and you- and that group of drunken, rowdy Teamsters over there at table 7.

3 hours ago, unwatchable said:

It seems like you need to know just those couple of stripper moves, and how to hold on to an aluminum pole while you're upside down, without falling on your head.

No poles as we know them back in the 1950s. 

4 hours ago, unwatchable said:

It seems like you need to know just those couple of stripper moves, and how to hold on to an aluminum pole while you're upside down, without falling on your head.

I guess this is a bit off-topic,  but since the matter of strip clubs and stripper dancers   (  aka  "exotic" dancers)  has come up,  I will note that the conversation has reminded me of "The Sopranos".  There's a strip club that plays a huge role in the series,  in that a lot of the meetings and decisions and incidents of various kinds occur there,  and Tony Soprano and his  "captains"  are always hanging around there.

It's called   "Badda Bing !  "    It seems to have at least one scene in almost every episode.  And there are lots of scenes with the strippers in the background,  fully topless, just a G-string,  writhing  and gyrating ,  often around that aluminum pole.  One would think it would be kind of erotic,  but in fact,  it gets a bit depressing after a while.   Maybe it's partly because the stripper girls might as well be wallpaper,  they're just part of the background. ...although there is one episode in which one of the stripper girls plays a major part...for a while.

Anyway,  until I started watching "The Sopranos",  my only knowledge of strip clubs came from old noir movies,  where the "stripper" appears decently clad, maybe a slinky dress with a slit in it and long gloves   ( yes,  like Gilda , although obviously she was not really a stripper ) -  best example I can think of is the "burlesque queen" in Armoured Car Robbery,  but the young woman's "strip tease" act is mild stuff compared to the glaringly naked,  literally in-your-face  busty wrigglings  of the girls at "Badda Bing ! "

• Like 2

Well I think (that’s kind of an oxymoron) that’s it’s not sex that attracts the patron to the stripper, it’s the woman as archetype - mother,lover,friend and wjore. The difference is in the dance.

Next up The Glass Wall (1953) . It's a good story about man (Gassman) a refugee from WWII trying to find his American GI Joe sponsor in New York City. All he's got to go by is the soldiers first name and his occupation before the war which was a jazz musician.  Like looking for a needle in a haystack. He meets various characters on his quest.  

The director was Maxwell Shane writer/director of those rather unheralded noirs  Fear in the Night (1947), City Across the River (1949), and and its remake Nightmare (1956). It was written by Ivan Tors and Maxwell Shane. The excellent cinematography was by Joseph F. Biroc (It's a Wonderful Life (1946), The Killer That Stalked New York (1950), Cry Danger (1951), Loan Shark (1952), Vice Squad (1953), Down Three Dark Streets (1954), Nightmare (1956), The Garment Jungle (1957)). Music was by Leith Stevens (Illegal Entry (1949), Johnny Stool Pigeon (1949), Abandoned (1949) Shakedown (1950), Undertow (1949), The Narrow Margin (1952), Angel Face (1953), Private Hell 36 (1954) The Lineup (1958) and others). 

Some great early 1953 NYC location shots of Times Square, Mid Town Manhattan and the 3rd Avenue El (though some of them are obvious rear projections). The vignettes with each of the various New Yorkers Gassman encounters could have been a tad longer, but it's a quicky B at 82 minutes so can't expect too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I guess this is a bit off-topic,  but since the matter of strip clubs and stripper dancers   (  aka  "exotic" dancers)  has come up,  I will note that the conversation has reminded me of "The Sopranos".  There's a strip club that plays a huge role in the series,  in that a lot of the meetings and decisions and incidents of various kinds occur there,  and Tony Soprano and his  "captains"  are always hanging around there.

It's called   "Badda Bing !  "    It seems to have at least one scene in almost every episode.  And there are lots of scenes with the strippers in the background,  fully topless, just a G-string,  writhing  and gyrating ,  often around that aluminum pole.  One would think it would be kind of erotic,  but in fact,  it gets a bit depressing after a while.   Maybe it's partly because the stripper girls might as well be wallpaper,  they're just part of the background. ...although there is one episode in which one of the stripper girls plays a major part...for a while.

Anyway,  until I started watching "The Sopranos",  my only knowledge of strip clubs came from old noir movies,  where the "stripper" appears decently clad, maybe a slinky dress with a slit in it and long gloves   ( yes,  like Gilda , although obviously she was not really a stripper ) -  best example I can think of is the "burlesque queen" in Armoured Car Robbery,  but the young woman's "strip tease" act is mild stuff compared to the glaringly naked,  literally in-your-face  busty wrigglings  of the girls at "Badda Bing ! "

You can't go by Hollywood's  quaint (Hays Code) MPPC depictions of strippers. They look like Vaudeville chorus girls, lol. Even Sam Fuller's Crimson Kimono (1959) had ridiculous looking strip routines. A good wake up call is a "Docu Noir" experiential film called The Savage Eye (1960) depicting in a segment the everyday strippers at the Near and Far Burlesque in LA. The strippers there aren't much different than todays. Just Google for vintage Tempest Storm, Candy Barr, Lili St. Cyr 1950s.

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

You can't go by Hollywood's  quaint (Hays Code) MPPC depictions of strippers. They look like Vaudeville chorus girls, lol. Even Sam Fuller's Crimson Kimono (1959) had ridiculous looking strip routines. A good wake up call is a "Docu Noir" experiential film called The Savage Eye (1960) depicting in a segment the everyday strippers at the Near and Far Burlesque in LA. The strippers there aren't much different than todays. Just Google for vintage Tempest Storm, Candy Barr, Lili St. Cyr 1950s.

Thanks,  joe. I guess,  yeah,  due to the  Code,  movie strippers in the '50s bore little reality to actual strippers at that time.

I should note,  not to be impolite,  but I'm really not all that interested in strippers or the history of strip clubs, etc.  The only reason I posted about it at all was because that strip club,  "Bada Bing ! ",  plays such a major role in "The Sopranos",  which I am currently watching   (well, not "currently" as in this exact second,  but as in   "at this time".   )

• Like 1

Thompson seems to know whereof he speaks regarding strip clubs.  I see now there's other senses in play that can give one the full stripper experience and a discount isn't necessary.  Besides, then you'd have every swingin' dick wearing shades. 

The El  Rancho from Hell Bound

hellBound1b.jpg.314ced8a9decb79ec81a3a55bed121bb.jpg

You have to sit by the stage.  There is no greater thrill than when the dancer comes to you and squats down and you put the perfectly folded dollar bill so gently into her G string, why  not a five or a twenty?  Because the dollar means the dancer will keep coming around.  The five and twenty guys will have left.  BUT, it really is all about the dancing, or the moving, or whatever it is that girls do that hypnotize a boy.

Tonight is The Glass Wall with Vittorio Gassman and Gloria Grahame.     Also contains one of the larger film roles for Jerry Paris,   better known for his role as Robs friend and neighbor in The Dick Van Dyke Show.    Here is is on the left. 

The Urban Politico: Movie Reviews: The Glass Wall

• Thanks 3

One more comment on strippers and I’ll bug off.  It came to me like an epiphany .  Of course, the ones that mesmerize you are the ones that dance behind the beat, on beat but behind it.  Only true artists can do that.

By the way, I noticed something when I was looking up Gloria Grahame's credits on the IMDb.  She appeared in a British television show in 1980 called TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED.  An episode called "Depart In Peace" co-starring Joseph Cotten.  Gloria is wearing a green dress and is braless.  Nice cleavage.  You can't miss it.  :) 

→ Because Gloria was only 56 at the time instead of 65 I don't think 'Thompson' would object to Gloria showing cleavage in early 1980.  I recall 'Thompson' was aghast at Dana Delany, aged 65, showing cleavage of any kind in her segments with Eddie Mueller recently.  

You can see a number of snaps on the IMDb of her appearance on the programme (I'm using the UK spelling cos it was a British show) and see Gloria looking very fetching in her green dress.  Cheers. 

• Like 2

Gloria looked good right up until the end.  From her last film, The Nesting.

nesting1d.jpg.43c9cb96a7d9ad69d2fac39c4aa280a4.jpg

Can't wait to see Dana, Gloria, and Eddie tonight!  In addition there's more Gloria coming up on Tuesday.

Tue. Oct. 5 Daytime Theme: Directors Minelli & Ray
..The Cobweb, 1955 (Minelli)
..The Bad and the Beautiful, 1952 (Minelli)
..In a Lonely Place 1950 (Ray)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
52 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

Gloria looked good right up until the end.  From her last film, The Nesting.

nesting1d.jpg.43c9cb96a7d9ad69d2fac39c4aa280a4.jpg

Can't wait to see Dana, Gloria, and Eddie tonight!  In addition there's more Gloria coming up on Tuesday.

Tue. Oct. 5 Daytime Theme: Directors Minelli & Ray
..The Cobweb, 1955 (Minelli)
..The Bad and the Beautiful, 1952 (Minelli)
..In a Lonely Place 1950 (Ray)

I just revived the GG A COMPLETE PACKAGE  thread in the favorites section,it was a popular thread

It is possible Gloria Grahame's last appearance of any kind was in another episode of TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED.  She was in two of them.  The first one was "Depart In Peace"; her second appearance was in an episode titled "Sauce For the Goose" and, get this, apparently it was not aired on UK television until July 1984. 

If you look at the screenshots on the IMDb from "Depart In Peace" and then "Sauce For the Goose" you can see quite a change in her appearance.

1 hour ago, nakano said:

I just revived the GG A COMPLETE PACKAGE  thread in the favorites section,it was a popular thread

How do I get to that thread, I can’t find it?