Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

14 hours ago, Katie_G said:

The Glass Wall looked good and Gassman and Grahame were excellent in their roles, but the story was a bit ludicrous.  The best scene was of Gloria eating a leftover donut.

In post-war New York one Hungarian with immigration problems warranted daily headlines, TV updates and a city-wide manhunt.  I'm sure the population was riveted.

Perfectly normal for a mom to put some rando in bed with her young daughters.

I've seen the remake of Brighton Rock with Helen Mirren and Sam Riley.  It was great, and I'm looking forward to the original.  

LOL! I know.. Headline in the Daily News! Front page stuff. I did like the bit when the stripper brought him home although the sleeping part was far fetched.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Thompson said:

Well my WSODisbelief moment was with the torture of pulling fingernails out with pliers.  Don’t fingernails grow back?

When you're busy screaming and passing out you don't have time to think of stuff like that.

No, I’m saying that it was years after that when he arrives in New York and shows the authorities his fingernail(less) fingers to prove part of his story.  They would have grown back is what I’m saying.

After a nail separates from the nail bed for whatever reason, it will not reattach. A new nail will have to grow back in its place. Nails grow back slowly. It takes about 6 months for a fingernail and up to 18 months for a toenail to grow back.

People also ask

Can you lose a fingernail permanently?

Image result for do fingernails grow back if pulled out?

As long as there is no permanent damage to the nail matrix or nail bed, the nail ought to entirely regrow and appear completely normal.
  • Thanks 1

Wow, there's Jerry Paris, America's favorite next door neighbor in a sitcom (or in the running anyway) I performed a google search and see how much stuff he actually, including directing lots of sitcoms.

I thought he did well, What is the opposite of "wooden" as some actors are? Free and loose, uninhibited, etc., whatever, he was a convincing sort of regular Joe. Not to cast aspersion on the fair sex, but what's he doing with her? Anyway ...

Help me with this. I seem to remember a role he had where he played someone who was really into eating steaks. That's all he talked about. That wasn't Jerry Helper was it? I don't think so. Maybe I am thinking of someone else.

//

ps ... maybe those nails were plucked out by the roots ... ouch!

• Haha 1

Would the opposite of a wooden performance be natural? I liked Jerry Paris in this role as well. Always enjoyed him in the DvD show. Perfect casting, chemistry, writing, and direction. Lightning in a bottle. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Good interview this afternoon on NPR's FRESH AIR with Eddie Mueller as the guest:

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/04/1043036861/noir-alley-host-celebrates-cinemas-double-crosses-and-doomed-characters

IMMENSELY entertaining interview, THANKS, Sagebrush.

This is a radio interview for anyone who possibly might not know (although the name Jerry Gross, the interviewer, has been doing FRESH AIR for centuries and is one of the most excellent interviewers ever) and I found myself thrilled to hear the sound bites from some of the film noir classics. The beginning of Double Indemnity, for instance. And the final scene of Criss Cross was downright hilarious, but not in a way that ridicules.  We all know Eddie Muller but this isn't old stuff, he speaks to the larger mass audience and it comes across rather wonderful, differently than taking to us who are movie buffs with a particular interest and knowledge of film noir. Eddie refers to the Production Code a couple of time early on and I kept waiting for Ms. Gross to ask Eddie to explain that but she doesn't. She later explains it, ha. We get a little of Eddie's personal life, especially as a kid. Eddie has a wonderful way of talking, so well spoken and knowledgeable. Of course we already know that but it's good to hear him talk to the greater audience. Is he some kind of treasure, or what? Yes, he is. i certainly recommend this to all, thanks to Sagebrush, thoroughly entertaining.

• Like 1
On 10/3/2021 at 9:56 PM, Katie_G said:

Holden, what does that have to do with Noir, or what we're discussing?

Sometimes it's just fun to go off an a tangent.  I'd have to go back and scroll through the last few pages,  can't think what it was, offhand,  but clearly something on this thread  reminded Holden of "Hot Sundae",  and he  got a kick out of posting those vids.   No harm done.

I think all threads are susceptible to going off-topic sometimes.  But they pretty much always return to the original topic.  That's certainly the case with this thread,  where I've seen all kinds of spin-off topics,  sometimes going on for a page or two  (  cars,  tv shows,  buildings that don't exist anymore, songs,   all kinds of things).   

Seems there's a difference of opinion when it comes to sites like these around how "ok" it is to go off-topic in a thread.  I don't really have a problem with it,   if I'm not interested in the tangential conversation,  I just skip those posts - it always gets back to the original topic.

Please don't think I'm reproving you or anything,  you are definitely not the only one who's objected to the thread veering off-topic.  I'm just giving my take on it.

( Or, as some posters on these boards like to say,   " My view".)

• Like 3
On 10/3/2021 at 10:44 PM, Thompson said:

Miss W - sorry about the Jays. It was so close but a  good omen for next year.  They have a lot of spunk and they play as a team.

See, now here's a perfect example of harmless "off-topic" content.

So, not to perpetuate this side-conversation about baseball,  but I'll just say,  if the Jays had been in a different division,  instead of the same one as the Yankees and the Red Sox,  they definitely would have made the Wild Card spot.  

Yes,  the Blue Jays have a lot of spirit, and a lot of talent.  They're well-beloved by their Toronto fans.  It's just too bad that come spring, they'll have to build it up all over again.  (  I hope Marcus Semien stays.  )

• Like 2
On 10/3/2021 at 10:51 PM, speedracer5 said:

I liked The Glass Wall.  While it was a message picture, I think it had an important message.  Here is Peter, an immigrant, a concentration camp survivor, who stows away to the US in hopes of starting a new life.   He wants to leave his war torn country.  He's full of optimism and hope, but needs to find the man whom he helped during the war in order to stay in the US legally.  Then Peter comes across Gloria Grahame, a woman who is barely scraping by.  And while Grahame is surviving on tea and half eaten donuts, she is not starving.  She has a place to live.  While obviously it's not ideal and she wants more out of her life, she is much better off than others in more impoverished countries.  As Peter notes, she is lucky to have a place to sleep, especially alone.  He points out that she has a lot more than other people around the world.  Others around the world  have suffered much more than she has.  I also thought the ending was very powerful with Peter symbolically begging the nations of the world to come together for the sake of peace and humanity.  I loved when he reunites with Tom and Grahame and says, "I was looking for you and you found me."  

I also found the scenes with the Hungarian immigrant family interesting.  When Tanya invited Peter to lie in the bed with her children, I thought that was very strange.  But, I loved when Freddie said something about Peter being a "stupid immigrant" and his mother reminding him that his own father was a "stupid immigrant."  People seem to forget that unless you're a Native American, that you yourself are the result of immigration. 

I also loved the scenes of the band. Though as someone who played clarinet from 5th grade through 12th, I found it fascinating how many different notes Tom made on the clarinet with all the holes covered and never moving his fingers. 

I really enjoyed the film, especially the cinematography. I also found the title fitting as it is definitely evident that the place in which someone is born can definitely establish the luxuries that one is entitled to and how people can be prejudiced towards those who weren't as lucky and are trying to improve their own life.  We still see it today.

Nice insights on The Glass Wall,  speedy.   I had to laugh at your observation concerning Tom's faked clarinet playing. Speaking of which,  I would have liked a little wrap-up scene where a couple of things are resolved....such as,  did Tom get that job with the jazz band?  They make it look as though he's giving up his chance by rushing off to find Peter,  but shirley Mr. Teagarden had heard enough to decide to hire him-  that's implied, but I'd like to know for sure.

I also have this silly fantasy in which Peter and Maggie get married,  as do Tom and Nancy,   and they all four become great friends and hang around together,  Peter gets a construction job and takes night classes to become a lawyer   ( maybe an immigration lawyer),  and he and Maggie and Nancy have fun attending the nightclubs where Tom's playing exciting jazz   ( except on the nights that Peter's studying to become a lawyer, of course.)😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Nice insights on The Glass Wall,  speedy.   I had to laugh at your observation concerning Tom's faked clarinet playing. Speaking of which,  I would have liked a little wrap-up scene where a couple of things are resolved....such as,  did Tom get that job with the jazz band?  They make it look as though he's giving up his chance by rushing off to find Peter,  but shirley Mr. Teagarden had heard enough to decide to hire him-  that's implied, but I'd like to know for sure.

I also have this silly fantasy in which Peter and Maggie get married,  as do Tom and Nancy,   and they all four become great friends and hang around together,  Peter gets a construction job and takes night classes to become a lawyer   ( maybe an immigration lawyer),  and he and Maggie and Nancy have fun attending the nightclubs where Tom's playing exciting jazz   ( except on the nights that Peter's studying to become a lawyer, of course.)😎

I would've liked the stripper's family to be involved too. LOL.

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I would've liked the stripper's family to be involved too. LOL.

Yes,  I quite liked Tanya -- despite the fact that I did wonder in what universe you put some stranger in bed with your two little kids...but WE THE AUDIENCE know that Peter is an ok guy,  so it's all right.   😏

So in the post- Glass Wall illegal immigrant world in which everyone is friends and hangs out together,  Tanya's there too, along with her mother,  who's always making goulash for them all,  and the two little girls,  who take up Hungarian folk dancing   ( for which Tom provides the music.)  Freddie reforms and becomes a law clerk at Peter's new law practice.

• Haha 2
On 10/3/2021 at 9:56 PM, Katie_G said:

True, but I can only suspend disbelief so far.  This took it into fantasyland.  

Holden, what does that have to do with Noir, or what we're discussing?

While all threads seem to go off tangent, I for one question it.  Especially when they seem to take over the thread.  Have been criticized a lot for questioning going off topic.

• Like 1

El Cid, I agree.  I normally don't object but since it was the second time and right in the middle of a conversation we were having about the latest Noir Alley, it struck me as rude and I don't think my question was out of line.  There's a difference between "conversation drift" and dumping some random graphic into the middle of a conversation, but I'll certainly go along with whatever the majority of noir posters want.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Hibi said:

After a nail separates from the nail bed for whatever reason, it will not reattach. A new nail will have to grow back in its place. Nails grow back slowly. It takes about 6 months for a fingernail and up to 18 months for a toenail to grow back.

People also ask

Can you lose a fingernail permanently?

Image result for do fingernails grow back if pulled out?

As long as there is no permanent damage to the nail matrix or nail bed, the nail ought to entirely regrow and appear completely normal.

In some cases the nail may not grow back at all. There may be damage or a cut to the nail bed. This may need to be repaired. Often this is done with stitches.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

In some cases the nail may not grow back at all. There may be damage or a cut to the nail bed. This may need to be repaired. Often this is done with stitches.

Yuck.

When Tanya first brought Pete home and made him lie down in the bed with the kids I thought there was just one bed in the apartment.  And maybe there was.  But it didn’t seem big enough later to hold Tanya, her Ma, her Brother, the two kids, and Pete. But maybe they made due somehow.  I wasn’t bothered by Pete being in the bed with the kids.  It didn’t seem “off” to me.

• Haha 1

Jerry gave up the clarinet gig as it didn't pay well enough and the late night hours were not

right for a married man just starting a family. He decided to go into accounting, though he

was remiss in providing timely advice to his cousin about buying a butcher shop in the Bronx.

Yankees vs Sox. I can't stand either one of these teams, but I truly hate the Bronx bastards. Let

someone else finish off the Sox. With the Yankees gone I can concentrate my dislike on the

Braves. I hope the Giants or Dodgers crush them like a little bug.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Thompson said:

When Tanya first brought Pete home and made him lie down in the bed with the kids I thought there was just one bed in the apartment.  And maybe there was.  But it didn’t seem big enough later to hold Tanya, her Ma, her Brother, the two kids, and Pete. But maybe they made due somehow.  I wasn’t bothered by Pete being in the bed with the kids.  It didn’t seem “off” to me.

Maybe they slept in shifts. LOL.

• Like 1