Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

7 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

So, not to perpetuate this side-conversation about baseball,  but I'll just say,  if the Jays had been in a different division,  instead of the same one as the Yankees and the Red Sox,  they definitely would have made the Wild Card spot.  

And to perpetuate the side-conversation about baseball and with all due respect, excuses like that mean very little. In Baseball (as well as other team sports) inequities like that abound with such frequency as to be not mentioned anymore. The Dodgers with a stellar record of 106-56 just happens to be in the same Division of the Giants, 107-55, and therefore must be subjugated to that perilous one-game sudden death Wild Card Game when The Atlanta Braves, 88-73, waltz into the playoffs as a Division winner because they happen to be in a weak division. St Louis, 90-72, has a better record than Atlanta, but must play the one-game wild card game while Atlanta does not. Seattle, 90-72, has a better record than Atlanta and they did not even make the bloody playoffs at all. You have a right to be disappointed but the no one listens to those kinds of complaints anymore, they are so ubiquitous. I'm sorry for your sake that your team is a victim but they are certainly not alone. Thanks, MissW, Peace. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Ubiquitous - “existing or being everywhere at the same time” - great word .  Dodger fan are ya, Laffite?  I agree about the one game wild card playoff — should be a three game wild card playoff.

3 hours ago, laffite said:

And to perpetuate the side-conversation about baseball and with all due respect, excuses like that mean very little. In Baseball (as well as other team sports) inequities like that abound with such frequency as to be not mentioned anymore. The Dodgers with a stellar record of 106-56 just happens to be in the same Division of the Giants, 107-55, and therefore must be subjugated to that perilous one-game sudden death Wild Card Game when The Atlanta Braves, 88-73, waltz into the playoffs as a Division winner because they happen to be in a weak division. St Louis, 90-72, has a better record than Atlanta, but must play the one-game wild card game while Atlanta does not. Seattle, 90-72, has a better record than Atlanta and they did not even make the bloody playoffs at all. You have a right to be disappointed but the no one listens to those kinds of complaints anymore, they are so ubiquitous. I'm sorry for your sake that your team is a victim but they are certainly not alone. Thanks, MissW, Peace. 

Wow,   laffite,  who knew you were such  a baseball fan ,   and one who knows so much about so many teams, their stats, etc. !  I'm impressed.   

Now,  having said that,  I will say I think you over-reacted just a little,  to my observation about the Jays being  in the same division as the Yankees and the Red Sox.  It really seemed to set you off,  such indignation !  And to be fair to me,  I must confess,  I've only become a really dedicated baseball fan  over the last few years,   before that I was amongst the unwashed masses who erroneously think baseball is boring.  So you must forgive me for writing what is apparently a cliche,  although I won't pretend I was saying anything original,   the sports commentators on the sports show my husband and I watch said the same thing  ( about the American League East division.)   And I did not and would not refer to The Jays as  "victims".  Not at all, they're a great team,  and they did win their final season game.

Still,  it warms my heart to see what a baseball fan you are.   Who's  your  favourite team?

ps:   Apologies to all who get all bent out of shape when off-topic tangents happen here.  I racked my brains to think of a film noir that involves baseball ,  but struck out.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Katie_G said:

El Cid, I agree.  I normally don't object but since it was the second time and right in the middle of a conversation we were having about the latest Noir Alley, it struck me as rude and I don't think my question was out of line.  There's a difference between "conversation drift" and dumping some random graphic into the middle of a conversation, but I'll certainly go along with whatever the majority of noir posters want.

I don't see it as rude.  Look,  to be honest,  there have been times,  certainly on this thread,  when some matter for discussion has come along and almost taken over the thread for a few pages.  Last time it happened,  I did get kind of exasperated.  But I also recognized that the posters chatting about whatever the off-topic  topic was were enjoying the conversation.  I also knew that it would soon get back to Noir and Noir Alley,  which it did.  All I had to do was skip reading the posts that didn't interest me.  No big deal.

I guess I see discussion boards on a site like this as different from actual real-life conversation.  Meaning,  if a group of people in real life were all talking about something,  and someone came along and totally disrupted the conversation and derailed the flow of the group's discussion,  I could see that behaviour as rude-- again,  if it occurred in real life ,  not on the internet.

But things work differently on social websites,  it's not at all the same as real life social gatherings.  

And I did not say your question was "out of line",  on the contrary,  I acknowledged that you are not the only one who dislikes off-topic posts here.  I was just giving my own feeling about the matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

But things work differently on social websites,  it's not at all the same as real life social gatherings. 

True. If you went to a church social in an open bath robe, they wouldn't be nearly as accepting of you as is a discussion forum.

• Confused 1
47 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

True. If you went to a church social in an open bath robe, they wouldn't be nearly as accepting of you as is a discussion forum.

You mean I have to start wearing clothes?😁

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Apologies to all who get all bent out of shape when off-topic tangents happen here.  I racked my brains to think of a film noir that involves baseball ,  but struck out.  

Great use of metaphor, misswonderly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/3/2021 at 9:32 PM, speedracer5 said:

I am waiting for the inevitable reunion world tour of Zack Attack with opening band, Hot Sundae. 

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd definitely buy tickets for that event.

Friends forever
With you everywhere . . .

ccelebritiessaved-by-the-bell-revival-tr

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I racked my brains to think of a film noir that involves baseball ,  but struck out.  

The Dark Corner (1946)

Lucille Ball's character Kathleen has a dialog about baseball with Gault

Kathleen: My father was a major-league umpire. Well, what else

[at the Tudor Penny Arcade]

Kathleen: can I beat you at?

Bradford Galt: What other kinds of games do you like to play? You know, we've got some great playgrounds up around 52nd Street.

Kathleen: Among them your apartment?

Bradford Galt: Why, just a coincidence.

Kathleen: I haven't worked for you very long, Mr. Galt, but I know when you're pitching a curve at me, and I always carry a catcher's mitt.

Bradford Galt: No offense. A guy's got to score, doesn't he?

Kathleen: Not in my league. I don't play for score, I play for keeps - "said she with a smile."

• Haha 2

Some Texas leaguers--Didn't Joe Gillis have a script about a baseball player that he gave up on or

changed to something else? And then there was Dana Andrews' little baseball puzzle that he was

always working on in Laura.

Awwwww. The Yankees lost. Ha ha. Send those overpaid mfing creeps back to the Bronx where

they belong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/4/2021 at 3:16 PM, laffite said:

IMMENSELY entertaining interview, THANKS, Sagebrush.

This is a radio interview for anyone who possibly might not know (although the name Jerry Gross, the interviewer, has been doing FRESH AIR for centuries and is one of the most excellent interviewers ever) and I found myself thrilled to hear the sound bites from some of the film noir classics. The beginning of Double Indemnity, for instance. And the final scene of Criss Cross was downright hilarious, but not in a way that ridicules.  We all know Eddie Muller but this isn't old stuff, he speaks to the larger mass audience and it comes across rather wonderful, differently than taking to us who are movie buffs with a particular interest and knowledge of film noir. Eddie refers to the Production Code a couple of time early on and I kept waiting for Ms. Gross to ask Eddie to explain that but she doesn't. She later explains it, ha. We get a little of Eddie's personal life, especially as a kid. Eddie has a wonderful way of talking, so well spoken and knowledgeable. Of course we already know that but it's good to hear him talk to the greater audience. Is he some kind of treasure, or what? Yes, he is. i certainly recommend this to all, thanks to Sagebrush, thoroughly entertaining.

This was a great interview! I listened to it too.  I really enjoyed the conversation.  Eddie also popped up on Leonard Maltin's podcast, Maltin on Movies, yesterday.  That was a fantastic interview.  I can always appreciate when two people can present an entertaining, informative and intelligent conversation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd definitely buy tickets for that event.

Friends forever
With you everywhere . . .

ccelebritiessaved-by-the-bell-revival-tr

I love Slater's keytar.  Does that man ever age? He looks the same, except his hair is straighter.  I'm glad they dumped Screech.  He added nothing to Zack Attack. Has Jessie always been in Zack Attack? Or is she replacing Lisa?

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

The Dark Corner (1946)

Bradford Galt: What other kinds of games do you like to play? You know, we've got some great playgrounds up around 52nd Street.

Kathleen: I haven't worked for you very long, Mr. Galt, but I know when you're pitching a curve at me, and I always carry a catcher's mitt.

Kathleen: Not in my league. I don't play for score, I play for keeps - "said she with a smile."

Dana Andrews plays a little handheld baseball game in Laura... I know, not quite the same.

EDIT: Vautrin brought up the same baseball game.  We're both on the same wavelength.

19 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I love Slater's keytar.  Does that man ever age? He looks the same, except his hair is straighter.  I'm glad they dumped Screech.  He added nothing to Zack Attack. Has Jessie always been in Zack Attack? Or is she replacing Lisa?

Jessie was not an original member of Zack Attack so she is essentially replacing Lisa.  Apparently there is no replacement for Screech. 

Just now, HoldenIsHere said:

Jessie was not an original Zack Attack so she is essentially replacing Lisa.  Apparently there is no replacement for Screech. 

Hopefully Zack Attack learned how to play their instruments since we last saw them in '93. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Wow,   laffite,  who knew you were such  a baseball fan ,   and one who knows so much about so many teams, their stats, etc. !  I'm impressed.   

Now,  having said that,  I will say I think you over-reacted just a little,  to my observation about the Jays being  in the same division as the Yankees and the Red Sox.  It really seemed to set you off,  such indignation !  And to be fair to me,  I must confess,  I've only become a really dedicated baseball fan  over the last few years,   before that I was amongst the unwashed masses who erroneously think baseball is boring.  So you must forgive me for writing what is apparently a cliche,  although I won't pretend I was saying anything original,   the sports commentators on the sports show my husband and I watch said the same thing  ( about the American League East division.)   And I did not and would not refer to The Jays as  "victims".  Not at all, they're a great team,  and they did win their final season game.

Still,  it warms my heart to see what a baseball fan you are.   Who's  your  favourite team?

ps:   Apologies to all who get all bent out of shape when off-topic tangents happen here.  I racked my brains to think of a film noir that involves baseball ,  but struck out.  

2 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

2 hours ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Experiment in Terror ends during a night game at Candlestick Park, Giants vs Dodgers. 

I thought Eddie and Dana would discuss the meaning of the title which is even more timely now. It could be interpreted several ways.

The noir cinematography is excellent but the script was over the top and hysterical even for 1953. One guy who's not a criminal, a commie spy, and does not have a communicable disease trying to seek refugee status jumps ship and a big manhunt starts. He gets his picture on the front page of the newspaper with a giant headline and a task force is set up to capture him? Richard Kimble didn't get that much attention for 4 years.

As a hyper paranoid, anxiety driven nightmare of an immigrant trying to reboot his life, it does work on the same level as classic paranoia films like Nightmare and DOA. Ivan Tors looked at the UN in this film as a new symbol of hope and progress, a similar theme in Colossus of New York. It's interesting that he was given permission to film there (the first film to do so) while Hitchcock was denied  permission for North By Northwest.

Director and cowriter Maxwell Shane  was in charge of the first year of Superman (George Reeves). His stories were too dark and violent so he was replaced.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

The Dark Corner (1946)

You call this a dialogue about Baseball?

5 hours ago, Thompson said:

Dodger fan are ya, Laffite?  I agree about the one game wild card playoff — should be a three game wild card playoff.

Nay, a Dodger I am not. There is no team I despise more. In fact if they lose to the Cardinals (O please God, make it happen, make it happen!!!) It well be Nirvana. I sympathize with the players even though I don't like them very much. I just think their manager is a punk.

3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Thank you, MissW, for being so nice back. I was a little rough on you. I humbly as your pardon. I am ancient enough to be solidly ensconced in Geezer territory and therefore suffer acute episodes of FuddyDuddyIsm which make me only too aware of how crappy today's game is. Being a "dedicated baseball fan" only for a few years exonerates you completely. My target was not you anyway but Major League Baseball itself which is only a shadow of what it was. I am proud to announce (though the warmth of your heart may go with the wind) that I don't have a favorite team as it would be sheer humiliation to care enough to have one.

Hockey anyone?

Number of days till the season starts:

woo hoo

//

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, jameselliot said:

I thought Eddie and Dana would discuss the meaning of the title which is even more timely now. It could be interpreted several ways.

The noir cinematography is excellent but the script was over the top and hysterical even for 1953. One guy who's not a criminal, a commie spy, and does not have a communicable disease trying to seek refugee status jumps ship and a big manhunt starts. He gets his picture on the front page of the newspaper with a giant headline and a task force is set up to capture him? Richard Kimble didn't get that much attention for 4 years.

As a hyper paranoid, anxiety driven nightmare of an immigrant trying to reboot his life, it does work on the same level as classic paranoia films like Nightmare and DOA. Ivan Tors looked at the UN in this film as a new symbol of hope and progress, a similar theme in Colossus of New York. It's interesting that he was given permission to film there (the first film to do so) while Hitchcock was denied  permission for North By Northwest.

Director and cowriter Maxwell Shane  was in charge of the first year of Superman (George Reeves). His stories were too dark and violent so he was replaced.

This sounds familiar.

Deja Vu ?

BTW, I don't know Dana's movies or anything about her but I thought she was charming.