Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 hours ago, jameselliot said:

Experiment in Terror ends in Candlestick Park, during a Giants vs Dodgers game.

Good one! 

I was listening to the radio that night. Vince Scully said at the top, "... and tonight they are filming a movie called [and here he changed his voice to a to a tone of mock suspense)] "Experiment in Terror"

A truly great shot of Don Drysdale peering towards he plate for a sign, and then that patented and wholly singular poetry-in-motion wind up and throw ... and another great shot, that of Harvey Kuenn lacing a double down the left field line.

Both of those fine though relatively unspectacular baseball moments immortalized in celluloid.

///

• Like 1
12 hours ago, laffite said:

Good one! 

I was listening to the radio that night. Vince Scully said at the top, "... and tonight they are filming a movie called [and here he changed his voice to a to a tone of mock suspense)] "Experiment in Terror"

A truly great shot of Don Drysdale peering towards he plate for a sign, and then that patented and wholly singular poetry-in-motion wind up and throw ... and another great shot, that of Harvey Kuenn lacing a double down the left field line.

Both of those fine though relatively unspectacular baseball moments immortalized in celluloid.

///

Vin Scully’s career in the booth is incredible. I remember watching an episode of “The Fugitive” a few years ago and you can hear Scully’s play-by-play in the background when Kimble is in an LA bar. At the time I was watching the episode, he was still actively calling Dodger games. Amazing.

19 minutes ago, Thompson said:

That one movie, with the guy from Psycho, the baseball movie.  I think that other guy, Carl Malden played the dad.  That one could border on a noir movie if they tweaked it a bit.

The actor is Anthony Perkins,   and the film was Fear Strikes Out (1957).   His dad was played by Karl Malden.    The film has many dark scenes but the only crime was Perkins playing in the outfield.

Fear Strikes Out (1957) – Suddenly, a shot rang out …

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Thompson said:

But it is a biography movie I guess, if that is a genre.

Certainly it is a genre; commonly referred to these days as Biopics.  A film being classified in a genre does not preclude that film being classified as Film Noir, since there are film noir Westerns, period costume dramas, science fiction, etc. Film Noir is a style, not a genre. I wouldn't classify Fear Strikes Out as film noir, though. It's been probably forty years or more since I saw this film, so it may come closer to classification as film noir than I recall, but I think it's really a biopic and a baseball drama.

• Thanks 1
On 8/11/2021 at 7:00 PM, King Rat said:

Charlotte Rampling seems to have cast fairly often as an attractive woman who is somehow "off" or a bit perverse, as in Farewell, My Lovely and The Verdict. She plays these roles well, and they were probably more interesting for her to play than more conventional heroines.

While this is TV-related, it has been some time since I watched Dexter, and am doing a marathon watch of the whole series for the upcoming season 9 premiere.

I had forgotten her being the psych doctor in the previous series-ending season 8. Attractive and perverse are accurate adjectives.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, uncle charlie said:

Vin Scully’s career in the booth is incredible. I remember watching an episode of “The Fugitive” a few years ago and you can hear Scully’s play-by-play in the background when Kimble is in an LA bar. At the time I was watching the episode, he was still actively calling Dodger games. Amazing.

He once said, "I've never attended a baseball game I didn't announce."

Hmm, not even as kid?

He should come out of retirement and announce the one this afternoon.

:lol:

• Like 1

Laffite, what happened to turn your mind so against the Dodgers?  Vin Scully rules, but in second place is Harry Caray.  A great singer and he could pronounce players names backwards.  Hope that Jes girl isn’t involved in the game tonight.

4 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I think it was a Google indirect link that may have expired.  This looks like the direct link:

http://thefilmexperience.net/blog/2021/6/5/1946-martha-vickers-in-the-big-sleep.html

(I hope James does not mind me posting this.  Please post replies to his original message.)

Thanks.  I read the article and found it interesting.  In thinking about it, she may have had more of an impact that Bogie or Bacall in The Big Sleep.

Vickers was also known as Martha MacVicar (birth name).   She died at age 46.   I enjoy her in The Falcon in Mexico, but the role is more low key and not at all as provocative as Carmen.

• Like 1
On 10/6/2021 at 2:35 PM, Thompson said:

Laffite, what happened to turn your mind so against the Dodgers?  Vin Scully rules, but in second place is Harry Caray.  A great singer and he could pronounce players names backwards.  Hope that Jes girl isn’t involved in the game tonight.

Sidebar, again

I can't go into it here, it's complicated and simple both. Some of it has to do with my antipathy for the game myself. I have not changed with the times, and it's the times fault. 

Stupid Baseball bases their playoffs by Division first, etc.

Thus we have the best records playing each other in a five-game series.

Baseball is one disastrous fiasco after another.

Baseball should follow the other major sports whereby teams are seeded by W-L record.

Baseball Season will be over soon. Who could ask for more?

Days left until Opening Day in the NHL 4

🍸

6 minutes ago, laffite said:

Sidebar, again

I can't go into it here, it's complicated and simple both. Some of it has to do with my antipathy for the game myself. I have not changed with the times, and it's the times fault. 

Stupid Baseball bases their playoffs by Division first, etc.

Thus we have the best records playing each other in a three-game series.

Baseball is one disastrous fiasco after another.

Baseball should follow the other major sports whereby teams are seeded by W-L record.

Baseball Season will be over soon. Who could ask for more?

Days left until Opening Day in the NHL 4

🍸

Wow, and here for a second laffite, I thought your hatred for modern baseball and for the Dodgers in particular, might've began after that time Tommy Lasorda brushed past you and knocked your beer and half-eaten Dodger Dog out of your hand and didn't apologize for it.

And so thanks for settin' the record straight here.

(...OH and btw...GO DODGERS!!!)

;)

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Wow, and here for a second laffite, I thought your hatred for modern baseball and for the Dodgers in particular, might've began after that time Tommy Lasorda brushed past you and knocked your beer and half-eaten Dodger Dog out of your hand and didn't apologize for it.

And so thanks for settin' the record straight here.

(...OH and btw...GO DODGERS!!!)

;)

He's the kind of guy that would not apologize. He had a rigid and uncompassionate personality. You know what that means.

Whenever I need a little entertainment I go to youtube and I watch Dick Clark's revenge homer that caused poor Tommy fits. Jack rubbed in so deep by rounding the bases longer than most run marathons. Tom watched grimly during this torture but he allegedly went ballistic after the cameras were gone. 

Yes, go Dodgers ... please. To Hell :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCG5krQPyXQ

28 minutes ago, laffite said:

He's the kind of guy that would not apologize. He had a rigid and uncompassionate personality. You know what that means.

Whenever I need a little entertainment I go to youtube and I watch Dick Clark's revenge homer that caused poor Tommy fits. Jack rubbed in so deep by rounding the bases longer than most run marathons. Tom watched grimly during this torture but he allegedly went ballistic after the cameras were gone. 

Yes, go Dodgers ... please. To Hell :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCG5krQPyXQ

LOL

Alright...okay. So it would take 36 years for Big Blue to get a little revenge on those Cards here the other day...

(...betcha just HATED this, didn't ya?!)  ;)

LOL

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Alright...okay. So it would take 36 years for Big Blue to get a little revenge of those Cards here the other day...

(...betcha just HATED this, didn't ya?!)  ;)

LOL

Yeah, I did. He got a lucky bounce.

Or  Tommy would be too busy picking up the brew and dog and scarfing them down to apologize. That's if he was able to bend over enough to

reach them.  I like both the Dodgers and the  Giants so I  don't really care who wins. Job  one--crush  the Braves like small, smelly bugs. 

• Haha 2

Boston is making a move on Tampa Bay.  5 - 5 top of the fifth, they were down 5 - 0.  Wait, another homer for Boston, and this one is a three run blast by JD Martinez -  8 - 5 Red Sox bottom 5.  Long way to go though, well not that long, four innings.

26 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Yesterday (October 7) marked the 27th wedding anniversary of Zack Morris and Kelly Kapowski.

kelly-zack-2.jpg  

I guess Vegas must have paid off and Kelly could finally afford a formal dress. Hopefully Zack tamed his wandering eye during their marriage.

• Like 1