Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Brighton Rock - a great example of British Noir. Unfortunately, re-titled "Young Scarface" for American distribution. Horrible title.

Plenty of the visual iconography of mid-period film noir. Lots of interior shots with ceiling'd sets, moderate use of wide angle lenses. Many of the shots of the criminals are from below eye level, not only revealing the set ceilings but giving the characters a sinister look. More than a little of the film shows the Brighton boardwalk in daylight. Richard Attenborough gives a fine interpretation of Greene's Pinkie Brown.

I suggest picking up Greene's novel. At less than 250 pages, it's a quick read and, of course, the book tells us so much more about the characters than the film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonight's Noir Alley feature  Brighton Rock comes on at Midnight and repeats at 10 AM on Sunday.  Haven't seen this one, so I am looking forward to it.  

• Like 3
6 hours ago, ElCid said:

Tonight's Noir Alley feature  Brighton Rock comes on at Midnight and repeats at 10 AM on Sunday.  Haven't seen this one, so I am looking forward to it.  

So am I.  The film was banned somewhere for its violence.  Right up Noir Alley.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ElCid said:

One of my favorite Brit noirs, great film, Richard Attenbouough is superb in this very menacing role. I hope you enjoy the film.

• Like 4

I think I'll leave off wearing the Catholic  questions of sin and guilt and redemption Graham Greene glasses tonight. I've  seen

Brighton Rock a few times, though not lately and if I recall it correctly the movie is less focused on those religious themes than

the book.  A very effective  flick. Greeney knew something about guilt and sin himself, though he specialized in adultery and not

murder.   

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I've  seen Brighton Rock a few times, though not lately and if I recall it correctly the movie is less focused on those religious themes than the book

Yes, that's right. In the book, Pinkie Brown's internal dialogue is awash in his conflicted Catholicism. Graham Greene converted to Roman Catholicism for the benefit of his marriage, and he is probably the most conflicted and cynical Catholic author in print.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, unwatchable said:

Yes, that's right. In the book, Pinkie Brown's internal dialogue is awash in his conflicted Catholicism. Graham Greene converted to Roman Catholicism for the benefit of his marriage, and he is probably the most conflicted and cynical Catholic author in print.

He did seem rather lost at times. Maybe it was a  bad  idea to take that  step down from atheism to  Catholicism.  😇

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Yeah, I guess the lesson is, don't pretend to change your beliefs. :D

Or do it on the cheap. Wholesale wafers and he must already have had a good supply  of wine.  🍷

• Haha 1

What's up with Eddie?  I hope he's not in trouble.  In last night's opening comments he looked bad, and said something like "I'm Eddie Muller and STILL the host" .  Then he said he was hungover and didn't feel like reading any subtitles, hence the choice of Brighton Rock. LOL  This morning,  his opening comments are gone and they just went straight to the movie with no explanation, but I have it on tape.

42 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

What's up with Eddie?  I hope he's not in trouble.  In last night's opening comments he looked bad, and said something like "I'm Eddie Muller and STILL the host" .  Then he said he was hungover and didn't feel like reading any subtitles, hence the choice of Brighton Rock. LOL  This morning,  his opening comments are gone and they just went straight to the movie with no explanation, but I have it on tape.

I heard the into this morning same as last nights must be a glitch on your end.

I had a terrible time understanding what was being said in the film. I don't know if the sound recording was bad or what it was. I am going to watch my Blu of the film with the closed caption turned on, because it was hard to decipher the plot without knowing what was being said. 

• Like 2

Yes, the sound was terrible.   I actually enjoyed the remake more, which doesn't usually happen. 

Glad to hear, CigarJoe, but it's strange.  Whatever movie was on before ended and without even one of their self-promos or anything, Brighton Rock started.  I'm in CA with Dish Network and it's the first time I've ever seen this happen.  Oh well.  

Recorded Brighton Rock last night and saw the intro by Eddie.  He looked fine to me and I think the "hungover" remark was just his humor.

Sound was OK, but near the end the audio was out of sink with the speakers and the captioning.  At least on my set.  Recorded from Spectrum.

As for the movie, I'm just not into British mystery and Noir movies.  Not sure why, but they just seem dull to me.  My wife has same opinion even though she enjoys Noir, mysteries, crime and similar movies.  It was OK, but I would never purchase a DVD nor watch it again.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Yes, the sound was terrible.   I actually enjoyed the remake more, which doesn't usually happen. 

Glad to hear, CigarJoe, but it's strange.  Whatever movie was on before ended and without even one of their self-promos or anything, Brighton Rock started.  I'm in CA with Dish Network and it's the first time I've ever seen this happen.  Oh well.  

I've seen it happen when  there's a slow internet or cable connection and the buffering gets a bit behind then it will jump ahead to the next program picking up at the right start time. 

4 hours ago, Katie_G said:

Oh yeah I caught that hangover mention in the intro, ears perked up, but Eddie looked good, far from hungover, when a drunk is hungover he doesn’t mention that.   Tries to disguise it.  I do get the feeling  there is friction at TCM though.

4 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I had a terrible time understanding what was being said in the film. I don't know if the sound recording was bad or what it was. I am going to watch my Blu of the film with the closed caption turned on, because it was hard to decipher the plot without knowing what was being said. 

Same here.  The “subtitle c/c” was off too.  Have to watch/listen again.  I liked the girl, not sure why really, but I was happy the needle skipped, I couldn’t have watched her reaction if it hadn’t.

23 hours ago, unwatchable said:

Another 20th century British writer who converted to Catholicism was Evelyn Waugh....although off-hand I can't think of any novels he wrote that could be described as "noir".  

23 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I think I'll leave off wearing the Catholic  questions of sin and guilt and redemption Graham Greene glasses tonight. I've  seen

Brighton Rock a few times, though not lately and if I recall it correctly the movie is less focused on those religious themes than

the book.  A very effective  flick. Greeney knew something about guilt and sin himself, though he specialized in adultery and not

murder.   

Yes,  the novel is almost as replete with Catholic guilt and meditations on God and sin and good and evil and hell, etc. as Joyce's work.  Sex, too, as I recall.

Most of this is left out of the movie.  It's sort of too bad,  because all the Catholic philosophizing and angsting is part of what makes the book interesting.  But the film is still very good,  and a relatively faithful rendition of the novel -- which, given Greene's participation,  is to be expected.

• Like 2

The sound was okay,  but I put on the CC as backup in case the British accents became too  hard to follow. For the most part they weren't.

I got a  kick out of  Pinkie's gang. one of the most woebegone acting and looking  outfits around. I think  one can tell by their  shabby  rooms

that they're pretty  near the  bottom  of  the Brighton crime  totem  pole.  And those suits. It's a bit  like the Bowery  Boys in England. This

time around Pinkie didn't seem quite as menacing, maybe because I haven't seen   the film  in  a while  and remember him as worse than

he was,  which  is  still pretty  bad. Take the 300 quid and go somewhere else.

FLU-RIDDEN WIFE (to Husband):  "What did the pastor talk about this morning?"

HUSBAND:  "Sin:'

IRRITATED -and- still FLU-RIDDEN WIFE:  "Well, what did the pastor say about 'Sin'?

HUSBAND:  "He said he was against it". 

~AMEN~

😇