Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

11 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Whereas, Rhonda didn't seem to be holding much of a torch for hubby and

whereas, $50,000 is almost $500,000 today, if I were her I'd be on a flight

to the south of France, far away from that crummy trailer park. 

Yeah. Why hang around? As it appears she didnt love (her hubby, the guy in jail) Not a well thought out character. But since she hadnt expected Rocky to be sprung, maybe she was trying to cover all the bases.......

15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Uh,   honey had 50K in cash!!!    She was just being smart;  staying in a trailer park until her husband got out of prison to ensure no one suspected that she had the loot.

As far as the ending;  I explained that above;   I guess you haven't seen The Big Sleep.

NOW,  if you wish to say it isn't believable that Rocky would care that about the harm to others caused by the femme fatale,   I could 'buy' that POV but Rocky also needed to ensure the police got the rest of the money or he would go back to the slammer.  

I dont think Rocky's release had anything to do with finding the money. They were watching him to see if he'd lead them to the money. He was released due to the (bogus) testimony of Erdman who gave him an alibi........Rocky was out whether the money was found or not.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I dont think Rocky's release had anything to do with finding the money. They were watching him to see if he'd lead them to the money. He was released due to the (bogus) testimony of Erdman who gave him an alibi........Rocky was out whether the money was found or not.

I agree that Rocky's release by the authorities was because of Erdman's alibi.

BUT after Erdman was shot he told the police that his alibi was phony.    Since the police busted Rocky with money from the hold-up he faced being given his original prison sentence and therefore had to ensure the money was found and turned over to the police.

20 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Been thinking about it. Maybe Rhonda just wanted to move in to that massive low rider of Powell's- Throw in some plumbing, and you got way more square footage than the trailer.

LOL!!!!

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i dunno, i don't think it was that bad as far as trailer parks go...There is and has been for some time a pretty avid trailer-life community all over southern california...although i think they've lost out on some prime real estate in the last couple of decades (i know there were communities in Laguna Beach and Malibu.)

Rhonda's place was nice enough, but that thing the two men had to share was pretty

awful. No wonder they spent so much time out driving around and drinking. (And it

seems the communal men's shower wasn't much to brag on). Every few years I see

an article on upscale trailer parks that look very good, but I doubt the trailer park will

shed its home of last resort image anytime soon.

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah. Why hang around? As it appears she didnt love (her hubby, the guy in jail) Not a well thought out character. But since she hadnt expected Rocky to be sprung, maybe she was trying to cover all the bases.......

That's what femme fatales do. I saw this movie a few years ago. Outside of the trailer

park setting and some of the supporting characters it's a fairly routine flick, though

still an entertaining one.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Rhonda's place was nice enough, but that thing the two men had to share was pretty

awful. No wonder they spent so much time out driving around and drinking. (And it

seems the communal men's shower wasn't much to brag on). Every few years I see

an article on upscale trailer parks that look very good, but I doubt the trailer park will

shed its home of last resort image anytime soon.

Yeah, no running water in the boys trailer.....

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, no running water in the boys trailer.....

And it seems there was not much of it in the communal shower either.

And the landlord didn't exactly inspired confidence. The south of France

looking better and better.

17 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

And the landlord didn't exactly inspired confidence. The south of France

LOL.

3 hours ago, Vautrin said:

That's what femme fatales do. I saw this movie a few years ago. Outside of the trailer

park setting and some of the supporting characters it's a fairly routine flick, though

still an entertaining one.

As for Nancy and femme fatales;  I assume she didn't love either Danny,  her husband, or Rocky,  but only herself.   She was just using both of them to get ahead and it was easy for her to dump one and pretend to love another when that was the better option.     This is straight out of the How to Succeed as a Femme Fatale playbook. 

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for Nancy and femme fatales;  I assume she didn't love either Danny,  her husband, or Rocky,  but only herself.   She was just using both of them to get ahead and it was easy for her to dump one and pretend to love another when that was the better option.     This is straight out of the How to Succeed as a Femme Fatale playbook. 

Yep, Rhonda is looking out for...Rhonda. That's what makes the first viewing of the

movie a bit more interesting. I wasn't really sure if she was on the level or not.

15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

And the landlord didn't exactly inspire confidence. The south of France

Ukelele players rarely inspire confidence, at least with me.

• Haha 1
On 4/22/2018 at 1:37 PM, spence said:

To Eddie,  did you like Dick Powell prior to his tough guy film 'noir persona?   Think he's in a closed to the public section GLENDALE'S "FOREST LAWN"-(& I think, but am not certain that June Allyson yrs later chose same area, do ou know?   As you know & by her own admittance she was almost equally in love with Alan Ladd

There is a special on youtube about Ladd, very sad too!   Do you know about it?   His mother died in his arms as a very young man, taking booze & something called "ANTPASTE"-(what is that?) & of course he followed suit yrs later in 1964 at age 50.  They used to have markers on the wall when casting people opposite Ladd, of whom was 5'6 at best & if you were taller you didn't get the role. Plus & this truly humiliated Alan, they would bring out a box for him to stand on a lot, or dig a hole for a co-star  Even in high school his nickname was tiny   Got photos of his wall niche very top "Freedom Maus.' in GLENDALE-(of course not to be confused with the park in Hollywood Hills)  But, like an imbecile I  missed the bust oif Ladd right there   DUH   Never had a desire to visit that other "F. Lawn"     "Farewell, My Lovely" (l944) is my fav. film noir of his.  Remade ok with Mitchum of course  PLEASE REPLY & I THANK YOU!

spence: I say this respectfully, god knows I've gone down the "gotten my actors mixed-up" road a few times myself, but I think you may have confused Alan Ladd with Dick Powell.  'T'was Dick Powell who was in "Farewell My Lovely". (Of course, Ladd was in some fine noirs too.)

On 4/22/2018 at 6:55 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

What is this from? I am unfamiliar.

"The Killers". It's that scary opening scene, the one where Conrad and that other guy frighten everyone in that diner; they're looking for Burt Lancaster.  In some ways, it's the best scene in the movie.

• Thanks 1
On 4/23/2018 at 9:21 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

QUESTION: how do we obscure spoilers in a post?

someone did it before. YOU can cover it up with a bar that says "click to reveal"

Or you can just type in big bold block caps,  SPOILER  ! ! !   ,  preferably with a suitable number of accompanying exclamation points, before you reveal the plot point you want to discuss.

On 4/23/2018 at 5:28 PM, Hibi said:

LOL. Good points. I cant see Lake playing a secretary though.

Well you never actually see Rhonda doing the secretary thing. It's just mentioned, almost in passing (I could be mistaken, I didn't get to watch the film this time around...)

26 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Or you can just type in big bold block caps,  SPOILER  ! ! !   ,  preferably with a suitable number of accompanying exclamation points, before you reveal the plot point you want to discuss.

no one ever explained the way to block the text, and then someone went ahead and revealed it anyway later on in the discussion, so i just rolled with it.

ps- how do we obscure text again?

32 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Well you never actually see Rhonda doing the secretary thing. It's just mentioned, almost in passing (I could be mistaken, I didn't get to watch the film this time around...)

True. He just drops her off one day at work. Still, I cant conceive Lake in workday attire.......LOL.

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ukelele players rarely inspire confidence, at least with me.

Very true. They are almost always of a very dubious character. Never did

trust that Arthur Godfrey guy. And that landlord's skimpy mustache is

another red flag.