Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

According to the TCM schedule, The Unforgiven starts at  11:15. It has  a running  time of 127 minutes, so they could have the intro/outro,

add  in a brief  promo and than  run La Bestia  Debe Morir at 1:30 instead  of running  half an hour of more promos  and a short. As  much

as I don't like to stay  up that late  it beats  getting up at  9:30 in the  morning.  

• Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

it beats  getting up at  9:30 in the  morning.  

Vautrin,  don't you have a DVR?     And it's not The Unforgiven. That's a 1960 John Huston film. The Eastwood film is titled simply Unforgiven.

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, unwatchable said:

Vautrin,  don't you have a DVR?     And it's not The Unforgiven. That's a 1960 John Huston film. The Eastwood film is titled simply Unforgiven.

Oops. The Unforgiven is the one where Audrey Hepburn  plays  an Indian. I think. Technologically I'm way back in the  early 2000s.  I never bothered

to get a DVD  player or recorder, which  is  okay. I don't have time enough now to listen to and watch all the things  I want to and  I'd just have a lot of

unwatched DVDs piling up month by  month.  I'll likely watch Forgiven tonight  as  I've only seen  it once or twice and  not recently.  La  Bestia Debe

Morir runs  about 95 minutes.  Add ten minutes for Eduardo and that  leads to its  ending around 3:45. Yeah, I can do  that,  but this better be one

heck  of  a good  movie. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I'll likely watch Forgiven tonight  as  I've only seen  it once or twice and  not recently.  

If you haven't seen it recently, I agree you should watch Unforgiven tonight. Although I've never heard anyone classify it as such, I consider Eastwood's film to be post-Revisionist.

(That'll bring 'em runnin') :D

4 hours ago, unwatchable said:

If you haven't seen it recently, I agree you should watch Unforgiven tonight. Although I've never heard anyone classify it as such, I consider Eastwood's film to be post-Revisionist.

(That'll bring 'em runnin') :D

Good  one. I think of it more  as  a "western" which  both expands and contracts that genre and is still inclusive of  the "western's"  tropes while also

being inclusive and non-non-exclusive of fundamental ideologies. Smile  when you say that, pardner.  🤠

• Haha 3

Is there an unwritten law that Noir Alley can be shown anytime after midnight on Saturday or early Sunday morning?  People rely on watching at midnight and not 1:30 in the morning. Is Noir Alley an afterthought? I can guarantee there is a large fan base for Eddie and the program. This is sacred time for us and something to look forward to  after a long week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, FloydDBarber said:

Is there an unwritten law that Noir Alley can be shown anytime after midnight on Saturday or early Sunday morning?  People rely on watching at midnight and not 1:30 in the morning. Is Noir Alley an afterthought? I can guarantee there is a large fan base for Eddie and the program. This is sacred time for us and something to look forward to  after a long week. 

There is a Noir Alley Thread in General Discussions which is considerably more highly frequented than here. I suggest you make you query up there.

• Confused 1
35 minutes ago, FloydDBarber said:

I would suggest to the TCM schedulers if they are going to exhibit two very looooong Clint Eastwood films that require a total of five or six hours, that you do it on some night that is not Saturday. Friday night would have done just as well, and then Underground can start on time and so can Noir Alley. Starting at 12:15AM or 12:30AM is OK, but waiting until 2AM is ridiculous. I just recorded it and watched it when I got up this morning. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, laffite said:

There is a Noir Alley Thread in General Discussions which is considerably more highly frequented than here. I suggest you make you query up there.

Why?  This seems an ideal place to comment on the unreliable Saturday night schedule for Noir Alley.  And the poster was talking specifically about the program Noir Alley.  Also,  Mr.  FloydBarber is not the only one here to be displeased about the switching around of Noir Alley's schedule on Saturday night.

Now,  I say this completely objectively,   since I always watch it on the Sunday morning slot.   Which,  thank the noir gods that be,  seems to be pretty consistent in its 10:00 a. m.  schedule.   But I'm just saying,  this seems like a legitimate complaint,  and I think this thread is as appropriate a place as any to comment about it.

ps /edit :  By the way,  which thread in General Discussions are you alluding to? I always thought this was the original,  real McCoy,  and primary Noir Alley thread.  You mean there's another one?  Gak !  And I've been missing out on it all this time !  Now I'm experiencing major FOMO.   😬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I hope this doesn't sound insensitive, but five minutes into LA BESTIA DEBE MORIR I was already exhausted.

Wish Noir Alley had run the Chabrol version instead.

I know what you mean,  Bronxie.  A large part of the problem was reading all those subtitles, since the film is very dialogue -heavy.  And I'm used to sub-titles,  I like foreign films , but I found it a lot of work to read all those sub-titles and still keep up with everything that was going on.  The first 20 minutes or so of the film was quite dense,  dense with action, dialogue,  characters,  just a lot of stuff going on and to keep track of.  

I found it did get more comprehensible once the flashback,  which is most of the film,  started.   

SPOILER :    as Eddie noted,  it's very unusual to have a child murderer in a film,  especially back then.  And it never would have been allowed in an American version.     But then again, there's always "The Bad Seed",  isn't there?   However,  the guilty kid in La Bestia Debe Morir   is quite sympathetic,  and not at all like the psycho-killer kid in that film  ( TBS ).   And in a way,  it was poetic justice,  and made the whole structure of the story quite symmetrical,  since the boy who poisoned  the horrible hit-and -run killer was about the same age and seemed similar in personality to the boy who was killed.

• Like 5

Eddie kept referring to Latin "hot-bloodedness" which in this (overly p.c.) day and age seemed surprising, although accurate in terms of the culture.   I guess I prefer my noirs more subtlety shaded, and "cool", along Gallic lines. 

I watch films with subtitles all the time, but these were in such rapid succession that there was no time to digest what I was reading.  After 30 minutes I decided to watch it some other time.  Just wasn't in the mood.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Why?  This seems an ideal place to comment on the unreliable Saturday night schedule for Noir Alley.  And the poster was talking specifically about the program Noir Alley.  Also,  Mr.  FloydBarber is not the only one here to be displeased about the switching around of Noir Alley's schedule on Saturday night.

Now,  I say this completely objectively,   since I always watch it on the Sunday morning slot.   Which,  thank the noir gods that be,  seems to be pretty consistent in its 10:00 a. m.  schedule.   But I'm just saying,  this seems like a legitimate complaint,  and I think this thread is as appropriate a place as any to comment about it.

ps /edit :  By the way,  which thread in General Discussions are you alluding to? I always thought this was the original,  real McCoy,  and primary Noir Alley thread.  You mean there's another one?  Gak !  And I've been missing out on it all this time !  Now I'm experiencing major FOMO.   😬

After some confusion, I now see the business. Poster FloydDBarber initiated a thread earlier today called Noir Alley but under the General Discussion located at TCM FILM FORUM FESTIVAL. I responded  to that post suggesting that he make his query HERE. But since then, the moderators combined that thread to THIS thread, so that it looks to you and others that I posted up here. A sort comedy in errors. Please look, if interested, at the General Discussions in TCM FILM FORUM FESTIVAL and you will see that I indeed posted down there first. 

Now you can go back to loving me again, I hope.

:)

• Haha 1

Wow!!!  I thought Felix did what he did because he really did do it and couldn’t see Randy taking the blame and thus fessed up.  No, Wow!!!, he became The Unreliable Narrator!  That’s very cool.  I liked the movie a lot and agree about subtitles and reading versus watching.  That takes practice.  However there is a positive about listening to foreign language -  there is no cliche.  There were no left over drinks, and a great quote be the General - “I never drink whiskey straight, when I see the bottle my mouth waters.”  There was another one but I lost it.  The cigarette angle is up for debate.  Felix is Out Of Cigarettes and his son offers to go.  Gee wiz, if it was me I’d be calculating the time to and fro because I’m Jonesing for my Cigarettes and I would have been **** off I didn’t have a cigarette and went out to look much sooner and maybe saved him from bleeding to death.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Katie_G said:

I watch films with subtitles all the time, but these were in such rapid succession that there was no time to digest what I was reading.  After 30 minutes I decided to watch it some other time.  Just wasn't in the mood.

Do what I do. I monitor the PAUSE button. It's as pain in the neck and a helluva way to watch but if it's a good enough movie, I do it.

• Like 1

I watched Plunder mainly because I like Patricia Medina but she didn't have much to do.  The Mexican location shooting was very good.  It should have been shot in Technicolor. The story has a Maltese Falcon feel with Sullivan as the fat organizer after Aztec treasure, but without the grit and sense of danger.  Most of the repetitive action is Ford and McClory taking turns getting beat-downs or pointing guns at each other and that got old. There was too much of it. Diana Lynn resembled Gloria Grahame (not a bad thing).  She also has little to do except chase Glenn Ford, play a drunk and get insulted.

Ford was an okay fit for his role. His character's behavior seemed more tailored for Mitchum.  The main thing that bugged me, something I see a lot of in movies and TV shows, is the villain shooting someone and leaving but not checking to find out if his victim has actually expired. This is just lazy writing and so is a Hollywood happy ending.

17 minutes ago, laffite said:

After some confusion, I now see the business. Poster FloydDBarber initiated a thread earlier today called Noir Alley but under the General Discussion located at TCM FILM FORUM FESTIVAL. I responded  to that post suggesting that he make his query HERE. But since then, the moderators combined that thread to THIS thread, so that it looks to you and others that I posted up here. A sort comedy in errors. Please look, if interested, at the General Discussions in TCM FILM FORUM FESTIVAL and you will see that I indeed posted down there first. 

Now you can go back to loving me again, I hope.

:)

Ah.  I figured it might be something like that.  I did check the Noir/ Gangster thread in the "Genres"  forum,  but when I didn't find the post there,  I was confused.  Didn't occur to me to check that other forum.  Explanation accepted,  laffite,  you are back in my good graces.  ( god, that sounds imperious and arrogant...obviously I'm kidding.)

Two things I noticed about La Bestia Debe Morir that seemed like plot flaws:  If "Linda"  ( the beautiful actress who Felix befriends)  had such a hatred for the horrible  Rattinger  ( is that the name?), if she consistently repelled his advances and had no interest in him whatsoever,  what was she doing in the car with him in the first place?  The night they were at Cape Gold,  where Felix's young son was hit,  why were they there ?  Linda says she was always struggling with Rattinger to keep his hands off her.  Ok, but then,  why was she with him on a car trip some distance from Rattinger's home?

Second plot flaw  :   Why did Felix leave his diary  open for anyone to read?  Yes,  I know he wanted everyone to believe he was plotting Rattinger's murder,  but Rattinger himself found the diary and read it.  So it's hard to believe Felix did it deliberately;  he planned to drown Rattinger when they were in the boat,  and Rattinger read of this plan in the diary.  Felix couldn't have at that point done it  ( left his diary open and available like that) to clear the kid,  because at that point in the story,  Ronnie  ( the boy) had not yet done anything  ( ie,  had not poisoned the drink).  Shirley if Felix had truly meant to drown the horrible man,  hit-and-run killer of his son,  he would not have left his diary open and accessible like that.  It doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

laffite,  you are back in my good graces.  ( god, that sounds imperious and arrogant...obviously I'm kidding.)

🙌

Thanks

that guy up there is supposed to be celebrating

but he looks more like he has as gun on him

2 minutes ago, laffite said:

🙌

Thanks

that guy up there is supposed to be celebrating

but he looks more like he has as gun on him

Oh,  is that what those tiny little symbols were supposed to look like?  I'm afraid I'm not very learned on internet emojis and all the symbols etc.  Thanks for the explanation.  B)   (  note the suitably friendly emoji I posted--even I can figure out those ones,  the faces.)

MissW, I really think Felix was the killer.  He got his revenge just like he set out to do.  Ronnie was really trying to protect his only friend, he saw Felix put the poison in the bottle.  And the ending is not a case of The Unreliable Narrator.  Now why Felix had to bust up poor Ronnie’s treasured boat seemed a bit selfish.