Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

21 minutes ago, Thompson said:

JamesE.  I’m sorta new at Noir Alley, but I thought Eddie always says join us on our Facebook and Twitter feed.  Don’t remember him saying anything  about the message boards.  But I might have a wet brain, how do you know?  You look in the mirror and you look like you did yesterday.  Still alive, so you leave it at that. 

Eddie doesn't mention this site and that has been a topic at this thread.    

2 hours ago, Thompson said:

JamesE.  I’m sorta new at Noir Alley, but I thought Eddie always says join us on our Facebook and Twitter feed.  Don’t remember him saying anything  about the message boards.  But I might have a wet brain, how do you know?  You look in the mirror and you look like you did yesterday.  Still alive, so you leave it at that. 

To elaborate on James' response.  I missed it, but apparently one or more posters got into a very negative running disagreement with Eddie.  So, he stopped posting.  Does not mean he does not read them, but who knows.

Also, I think he uses the Twitter and Facebook because that is where The Film Noir Foundation has much of its stuff.  Don't know if there is actually a separate location on them for Noir Alley specifically.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ElCid said:

To elaborate on James' response.  I missed it, but apparently one or more posters got into a very negative running disagreement with Eddie.  So, he stopped posting.  Does not mean he does not read them, but who knows.

Also, I think he uses the Twitter and Facebook because that is where The Film Noir Foundation has much of its stuff.  Don't know if there is actually a separate location on them for Noir Alley specifically.

Thinking about this more,  has TCM ever promoted this Forum website?    I assume NO, since I can't recall any host doing so,  or any info-type commercials.    

Yea,  they promote the general website where one can find the schedule etc..,   but never this specific message-board forum.      

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Thinking about this more,  has TCM ever promoted this Forum website?    I assume NO, since I can't recall any host doing so,  or any info-type commercials.    

Yea,  they promote the general website where one can find the schedule etc..,   but never this specific message-board forum.      

They should mention the board  if they want the TCM site to maintain a community. But it's their site so...

• Like 2

I think the question is who is in charge of this forum.  I have a sneaking suspicion that nobody is, it’s a computer generated thing.  There are moderators for sure, but they don’t read posts, they read the “report to moderator” complaints.  Anybody can do anything here, like create new topics.  Am I right?  So it comes up as a TCM message forum,  it looks like a TCM sponsored thing, but I believe it’s just . . . “Hey, man, look, this is Ben M. here and I want you guys to set up one of those message boards.”  And then it takes off, gee wiz, this is a long lasting forum.  No interference from anyone really.  This whole TCM forum was created entirely by the posters.  That is pretty cool.

16 minutes ago, Thompson said:

I think the question is who is in charge of this forum.  I have a sneaking suspicion that nobody is, it’s a computer generated thing.  There are moderators for sure, but they don’t read posts, they read the “report to moderator” complaints.  Anybody can do anything here, like create new topics.  Am I right?  So it comes up as a TCM message forum,  it looks like a TCM sponsored thing, but I believe it’s just . . . “Hey, man, look, this is Ben M. here and I want you guys to set up one of those message boards.”  And then it takes off, gee wiz, this is a long lasting forum.  No interference from anyone really.  This whole TCM forum was created entirely by the posters.  That is pretty cool.

TCM owns the site, the web domain name etc....   So TCM owns it and is in charge of it.    But  TCM does have a mostly hands off approach to this site,  and that is,  as you say,  pretty cool.  

TCM also doesn't have pop-up ads,  links to products etc...     So like you say,  it is a forum set-up for the value of us users.     Again,  pretty cool.

• Like 1

When I joined TCM was hands on or at least it appeared so.  I believe there was a link to suggest a movie.  None I suggested ever got played though so don't know how well it worked.

Library of America is offering a sale right now that includes “American Noir:  11 classic crime novels of the 1930’s, 40’s & 50’s (a boxed set).”  These are some good reads.  Polito knows his stuff

• Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Thompson said:

Library of America is offering a sale right now that includes “American Noir:  11 classic crime novels of the 1930’s, 40’s & 50’s (a boxed set).”  These are some good reads.  Polito knows his stuff

I see this includes Horace McCoy's They Shoot Horses, Don't They?  What a fantastic novel! The only thing wrong with it is that it isn't longer.   Jim Thompson's The Killer Inside Me is a great read as well, with a central character similar to his later Pop. 1280 (a personal favorite of mine.) Thompson is one of a kind. He was brilliant and I think just a little bit insane.  And if ever you want to learn about carnies and charlatans, Gresham's Nightmare Alley is perfect.  If you like the 1947 Tyrone Power film, you should read the book. As with all novels made into films, much is left unexplained in the film.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

When I joined TCM was hands on or at least it appeared so.  I believe there was a link to suggest a movie.  None I suggested ever got played though so don't know how well it worked.

They did play a movie after I submitted a request. But it was in the TCM library and fit into a Mary Astor day.

I do wonder how much it costs TCM (in money and moderator services) to maintain this forum...and if at some point they might decide it's not worth the effort. Facebook and Twitter, on the other hand, come with technical support and moderator functions.

• Like 1

Unwatchable , The Talented Mr. Ripley is in that group too.  Patricia Highsmith is about as noir as you can get.  She writes like a drug.  Check her out.

40 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

So two Horror Noir for Halloween thanks Eddie they were fun.

Yea,  it was great to see these two fine films and hear Eddie comment on them.

• Like 3

JIM THOMPSON?  Was he the fella who disappeared in Malaysia in 1967?  He'd been involved in the Thai silk trade and just vanished one day in March '67, I believe it was. 

The Cat People was scary for sure.  And fun as all get out.  Between these two movies there were more sexy and interesting women than I could keep up with.  Ever tried to play the castanets?  Click clack, good luck. The castanet girl with her particular click clack rhythm was so good she will stay with me forever on.  Can’t ask for any more that that.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

JIM THOMPSON?  Was he the fella who disappeared in Malaysia in 1967?  He'd been involved in the Thai silk trade and just vanished one day in March '67, I believe it was. 

No, this JimThompson was a crime writer.  He worked as a bellboy in his younger years and spent some time in the oil fields .  Pretty certain he had no connection to the Thai silk trade in Malaysia.  Plus he never disappeared, but he did die refusing to eat in some California hospital at the age of 70, with none of his books in print in the U.S.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Thompson said:

No, this Jim Thompson was a crime writer.  He worked as a bellboy in his younger years and spent some time in the oil fields .  Pretty certain he had no connection to the Thai silk trade in Malaysia.  Plus he never disappeared, but he did die refusing to eat in some California hospital at the age of 70, with none of his books in print in the U.S.

Interesting. I looked it up on wiki:

"Thompson died in Los Angeles, aged 70, after a series of strokes aggravated by his long-term alcoholism. He refused to eat for some time before his death, and this self-inflicted starvation contributed greatly to his demise. At the time of his death, none of his novels were in print in his home country. "

Gorman, get yourself a copy of Thompson's Pop. 1280, and then you'll see why I say I think he was a little bit insane. Only a crazy man could come up with that dialogue. It's a great read, definitely not cookie-cutter.

Thompson was not insane.  In fact, he told his wife basically on his death bed that his work one day would be appreciated.  His characters were insane.  He could make those  characters so real, so intense by writing in first person.  Both Killer and Pop1280 were written in first person.  Only an artist can do that kind of stuff.  

I have seen both of today's presentations before, but watched again and throughly enjoyed them.  Think Cat People is the better of the two, but they are also different.

Particularly enjoyed hear Eddie do two intros and two outros.  Maybe more double features could be done.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Yea,  it was great to see these two fine films and hear Eddie comment on them.

did he call himself the

''Svengoolie of TCM''?!

:lol:  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice to see Cat People and The Leopard Man

Supernatural, SciFi, and Fantasy based Noir. along with Western and Period Piece Noirs have been around since the beginning.

It's going to be subjective, each individual viewer will have to be their own judge, some of these films will be on the cusp between genres and depending on your individual tastes you will either tune to them as Noirs or not.

During the Classic Film Noir Era films like Val Lewton's Cat People (1942), The Seventh Victim (1943) and others have Noir stylistics. Others,  Decoy (1946), Repeat Performance (1947), Alias Nick Beal (1949), The Amazing Mr. X  (1948), Fear in the Night (1947), The Night Has a Thousand Eyes (1948), Dementia (1955), Nightmare (1956), Indestructible Man (1956), I Bury the Living (1958) all covered roughly the same Supernatural, SiFi, and Fantasy territories

• Like 1
18 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

So two Horror Noir for Halloween thanks Eddie they were fun.

When I saw that a couple of Val Lewton films were scheduled for Sunday morning, I assumed the Noir Sunday was put on hold. What a grand surprise when Eddie popped up as usual. Nice stuff. I loved it. 

• Like 2