Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SPOILERS!

I wonder why they never showed any scenes with Powell's alleged co-conspirator? I thought they could've beefed up Rhonda's part more. Maybe have her visit him in prison. And all the talk about the money being in the basement of the "old house". Yet they never showed the house. Could've showed her going to the house and retrieving the money, rather than saying it was there. Budget concerns? Seemed a bit too focused on the trailer park....

• Like 1
Just now, Hibi said:

I wonder why they never showed any scenes with Powell's alleged co-conspirator? I thought they could've beefed up Rhonda's part more. Maybe have her visit him in prison. And all the talk about the money being in the basement of the "old house". Yet they never showed the house. Could've showed her going to the house and retrieving the money, rather than saying it was there. Budget concerns? Seemed a bit too focused on the trailer park....

Actually when I view this movie, I get kind of confused about the old house and how the police are supposed to know where it is and where to look for the money.  If they already know location, why didn't they search it since they searched Rhonda's trailer several times?

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Actually when I view this movie, I get kind of confused about the old house and how the police are supposed to know where it is and where to look for the money.  If they already know location, why didn't they search it since they searched Rhonda's trailer several times?

Yeah, that too! And why is it called the OLD HOUSE?  Didnt tidy up all the loose ends......

Rhonda does tell Powell it's in the basement. But you'd think the police would've looked there. Unless they didnt know where Rhonda lived before the trailer? LOL.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hibi said:

SPOILERS!

Since the goal was to have as much of a surprise ending as possible as it relates to Danny being in on the robbery and Nancy getting his share of the loot,  this put a major constraint on what the screenwriters could do with the Nancy character.    E.g. having her go to prison and talk with Danny but NOT mentioning the loot and them just talking about how they miss each other (with Nancy lying about that) would have been boring,  adding nothing to the plot.    Same with the old-house;  Rocky and Nancy could have gone there but for what,  if Nancy wasn't going to tell Rocky she had the loot. 

So yea,  Nancy's character wasn't developed but I don't see how they could have done that unless they wanted to expose her as a femme fatale much earlier.    

• Like 1
On 4/23/2018 at 6:21 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

QUESTION: how do we obscure spoilers in a post?

someone did it before. YOU can cover it up with a bar that says "click to reveal"

Here is a quote from another poster:

You type a left bracket "[" followed by the word "spoiler" then right bracket "]", no spaces, and everything after that will be hidden. Warning though, there doesn't appear to be a way to undo it in the edit screen, and I haven't figured out a way to end the hidden spoiler. There should be a way to type the bracket-spoiler-bracket at the end of a section and end the hidden portion, and then be able to have visible print afterward, but I haven't figured out if there's a way to do so.

...meaning (to repeat the above) the hidden spoiler should be the last part of the posting, since as of now no one seems to know how to undo the hidden post in order to continue with non=spoiler text without ending the post..

EDIT

This is a test

Here is some text below the spoiler field. I have found a makeshift way of doing this. Please see my recent posts on Around the Galaxy thread in off topic to see if it works for you.

14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Since the goal was to have as much of a surprise ending as possible as it relates to Danny being in on the robbery and Nancy getting his share of the loot,  this put a major constraint on what the screenwriters could do with the Nancy character.    E.g. having her go to prison and talk with Danny but NOT mentioning the loot and them just talking about how they miss each other (with Nancy lying about that) would have been boring,  adding nothing to the plot.    Same with the old-house;  Rocky and Nancy could have gone there but for what,  if Nancy wasn't going to tell Rocky she had the loot. 

So yea,  Nancy's character wasn't developed but I don't see how they could have done that unless they wanted to expose her as a femme fatale much earlier.    

Yes, it would have been tricky. But I felt the film was a bit too constrained by staying in the trailer park most of the film. It needed some opening up......

On 4/22/2018 at 1:50 PM, calvinnme said:

I already have copies - some recorded, some on DVD - of just about everything on Noir Alley. However I still record Noir Alley because Eddie Muller's comments make it worthwhile. I have the Olive Films DVD of Cry Danger, and it is a great copy, but there are no comments.

My sentiment exactly.  I can't think of any Noir Alley films I didn't already own one way or another, but I still like to have a copy with Eddie's intro and commentary.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i'm miffed that neither MYSTERY STREET nor CRY DANGER has shown up on TCM OnDemand, they've been good about making the NOIR ALLEY installments available.

I was thinking of skipping THE SCAR tomorrow because I'm so tired of the sound sync issues.

I'm **** also but since I own the films it's mostly Mullers intros and outros I'm missing, but I'm pretty sure they are on youtube.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i'm miffed that neither MYSTERY STREET nor CRY DANGER has shown up on TCM OnDemand, they've been good about making the NOIR ALLEY installments available.

I was thinking of skipping THE SCAR tomorrow because I'm so tired of the sound sync issues.

According to TCM.com schedule, Hollow Triumph is the Noir Alley movie for today and tomorrow.  

In fact, I don't see The Scar listed today or tomorrow.  And what sound/sync issues?

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, TheCid said:

According to TCM.com schedule, Hollow Triumph is the Noir Alley movie for today and tomorrow.  

In fact, I don't see The Scar listed today or tomorrow.  And what sound/sync issues?

Uh,   The Scar and Hollow Triumph are the same film.     When the film was reissued in the USA the title was changed to The Scar.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ps- been meaning to ask, but does anyone know why CRY DANGER was called CRY DANGER? did they mention it and i missed it during all the picture freezing and TV restarting?

Lorna,

I'm not sure this is a direct answer for your question, but at the beginning of Eddie's intro to Cry Danger, he mentioned that Cry Terror, Cry Tough, Cry Vengeance, Cry of the City, and A Cry in the Night were other Noir films with "Cry" in the title that preceded Cry Danger.  So to me Eddie was possibly implying that it was a sort of marketing technique at the time.  I did look at the Wikipedia entry as well and it currently does not address the source of the title.  The credits list Jerome Cady for the story and William Bowers for the screenplay (Eddie praised Bowers for the terrific dialogue) but I don't see mention of any other source material which could offer insight.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, TheCid said:

i admit to doing things like that to keep everyone on their toes, thanks to all. HOLLOW TRIUMPH is aka THE SCAR.

IN RE: SOUND SYNC- i have internet tv and trying to watch live television is getting to be impossible for me because the picture lags or freezes while the dialogue keeps going. it's happened the last several times i've tried watching NOIR ALLEY and it's why i'm not watching today.

ps- thanks to all who've given me tips on how to fix it. nothing seems to work.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

IN RE: SOUND SYNC- i have internet tv and trying to watch live television is getting to be impossible for me because the picture lags or freezes while the dialogue keeps going. it's happened the last several times i've tried watching NOIR ALLEY and it's why i'm not watching today.

ps- thanks to all who've given me tips on how to fix it. nothing seems to work.

I've been doing this enough to give you some more things to try. I've noticed it gets worse the more tabs I have open on the computer. If I happen to start say rendering a film clip on Adobe Premier it immediately effects the sync, (the computer program is processing a lot of data and even with the one terabyte system its enough to s*c*r*e*w with it. Did I mention distance from wireless router? That may effect it also, I use a sort of repeater (I'm not sure what it's called but it's right by the TV with the Chrome Cast. The router is probably 30 40 feet away catty corner on opposite sides of the house. 

Hmm, so no comments on "Hollow Triumph" aka "The Scar" today. Interesting....first time in ages, I think, that no one's posted about Eddie's Noir Alley choice of the week soon after airing. Lorna, I blame you, since you're often the one who leads off on this. Ya gotta get that out-of-sync-in-real-viewing-time issue resolved, noir fans are counting on you. (Have you contacted your cable company about the problem? I realize that's an obvious question to ask...)

Well, dammit, I'm going to comment on "Hollow Triumph". First, this title is way better than "The Scar", and a much more noirish title, too. Also - SPOILER  SPOILER SPOILER - such a big deal is made about Henreid's villainous character's giving himself the scar on the wrong side of his face (as opposed to the scar of  his doppelganger, whom he wants to supplant), but in fact, this mistake does not make one whit of difference to his plan. Nobody, not even his classy girlfriend (a tiny role, this character hardly comes into the story at all), nor his lover / secretary (ah, Joan Bennett) notice that this man they presumably know well has suddenly switched the side of his face his scar is on. In fact, in a way that's one of the points the film is making - nobody ever notices anything !  The only one who does is the cleaning lady, who remarks upon it to Muller as he's about to abandon his entire usurped life. He's actually grateful to her for noticing it, maybe because she's the only one who has.

Anyway, enough about the scar - a red herring, that's all I can say about that.

But !  I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed "Hollow Triumph". It was my second viewing of it. The first time I saw it, years ago on a poor quality (and probably semi-illegal ) video, I did not like it much at all, and in fact was a bit disappointed that this was Eddie's selection this week. I don't know if it was the much-superior copy Eddie showed, or whether I've changed in some way, but this time around I thought the film was very good.

Paul Henreid demonstrated he's just as good at playing bad guys as good ones; I quite like this actor. But for me, the film belongs to Joan Bennett. She's always so damn good, is Joan, and "Hollow Triumph" gives her a lot to do; she plays a three-dimensional complex character, and she plays her with utter conviction.

One thing that bothered me a little: how come Henreid's character ("John Muller" - no relation to Eddie !) has absolutely no curiosity about this man who so completely resembles him? Dr. Bartok doesn't just look like Muller, they could be identical twins. I was really hoping for at least one scene where they meet each other, just to see what would happen. It could be done then - like in "A Stolen Life", made two years earlier. They could have used the same technique to film Henreid playing both characters in the same scene. But we never get this- you can't count the part where Muller picks up Bartok in his cab. And speaking of that  -SPOILER AGAIN - I also feel a bit cheated that we don't see Muller's murder of his look-alike. How does he do it anyway? We just see him standing on a bridge, waving away would-be helpers who think he has car trouble.

However, despite these quibbles, I thoroughly enjoyed "Hollow Triumph", perhaps all the more because I wasn't really expecting to.

Anyone else catch this odd little film?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1