Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

However, despite these quibbles, I thoroughly enjoyed "Hollow Triumph", perhaps all the more because I wasn't really expecting to.

Anyone else catch this odd little film?

Sorry I must admit that I thought Hollow Triumph was well done but overall it was a bit disappointing for me.  Perhaps if I follow your example and watch it again sometime later my opinion will change.

I did enjoy all the careful details shown in planning the switch as well as Joan Bennett’s performance, and the cinematography was another superior example of the genre.  Eddie used the word preposterous in his intro, and there’s no point in picking apart the details of what it would take to truly impersonate someone, so I won’t worry about that and just go with the flow.  Given my formative television watching years, however, this story came off as a sort of enhanced Twilight Zone episode, where the whole show is just an elaborate setup before providing a shocking twist at the end.  Since Twilight Zone is known for its great writing, that’s not really much of a criticism, it just means that I was hoping the movie will provide something a little more positive that I can relate to along the way.  The sum total was essentially a cautionary tale of a wasted life, or as Eddie pointed out, “a bitter little world, indeed.”

• Like 1
9 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

-SPOILER AGAIN - I also feel a bit cheated that we don't see Muller's murder of his look-alike. How does he do it anyway?

That was one of the best stylistic parts, that this go round, I really noticed. There is some kind of weird opera music on the radio some female aria, we see one of those semaphore type, "only in Los Angeles," it seems, traffic lights, it drops it's arm to stop as the light goes red, the aria abruptly shuts off mid caterwaul, and then the arm goes back up, the light turns green, then we cut to Muller shoving the body down in the front seat. It's all left to the imagination. Murder taking the duration of a stop light. Cool.

• Thanks 1

Another scene in Hollow Triumph that stood out to me was the escape from the hoods by hopping on a tram heading up a steep incline.

ipbHz3v.jpg

I seem to recall seeing a similar shot from inside what I assume to be the same service in another film.  Can anyone help me out?

It's Angel's Flight, the funicular railway that went up Bunker Hill from downtown Los Angeles (it still exists, but in another location nearby) It was used in many noir films...

• Thanks 1
On 4/28/2018 at 4:19 PM, TheCid said:

According to TCM.com schedule, Hollow Triumph is the Noir Alley movie for today and tomorrow.  

In fact, I don't see The Scar listed today or tomorrow.  And what sound/sync issues?

The Scar was an alternate title for the same film...

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Hmm, so no comments on "Hollow Triumph" aka "The Scar" today. Interesting....first time in ages, I think, that no one's posted about Eddie's Noir Alley choice of the week soon after airing. Lorna, I blame you, since you're often the one who leads off on this. Ya gotta get that out-of-sync-in-real-viewing-time issue resolved, noir fans are counting on you. (Have you contacted your cable company about the problem? I realize that's an obvious question to ask...)

Well, dammit, I'm going to comment on "Hollow Triumph". First, this title is way better than "The Scar", and a much more noirish title, too. Also - SPOILER  SPOILER SPOILER - such a big deal is made about Henreid's villainous character's giving himself the scar on the wrong side of his face (as opposed to the scar of  his doppelganger, whom he wants to supplant), but in fact, this mistake does not make one whit of difference to his plan. Nobody, not even his classy girlfriend (a tiny role, this character hardly comes into the story at all), nor his lover / secretary (ah, Joan Bennett) notice that this man they presumably know well has suddenly switched the side of his face his scar is on. In fact, in a way that's one of the points the film is making - nobody ever notices anything !  The only one who does is the cleaning lady, who remarks upon it to Muller as he's about to abandon his entire usurped life. He's actually grateful to her for noticing it, maybe because she's the only one who has.

Anyway, enough about the scar - a red herring, that's all I can say about that.

But !  I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed "Hollow Triumph". It was my second viewing of it. The first time I saw it, years ago on a poor quality (and probably semi-illegal ) video, I did not like it much at all, and in fact was a bit disappointed that this was Eddie's selection this week. I don't know if it was the much-superior copy Eddie showed, or whether I've changed in some way, but this time around I thought the film was very good.

Paul Henreid demonstrated he's just as good at playing bad guys as good ones; I quite like this actor. But for me, the film belongs to Joan Bennett. She's always so damn good, is Joan, and "Hollow Triumph" gives her a lot to do; she plays a three-dimensional complex character, and she plays her with utter conviction.

One thing that bothered me a little: how come Henreid's character ("John Muller" - no relation to Eddie !) has absolutely no curiosity about this man who so completely resembles him? Dr. Bartok doesn't just look like Muller, they could be identical twins. I was really hoping for at least one scene where they meet each other, just to see what would happen. It could be done then - like in "A Stolen Life", made two years earlier. They could have used the same technique to film Henreid playing both characters in the same scene. But we never get this- you can't count the part where Muller picks up Bartok in his cab. And speaking of that  -SPOILER AGAIN - I also feel a bit cheated that we don't see Muller's murder of his look-alike. How does he do it anyway? We just see him standing on a bridge, waving away would-be helpers who think he has car trouble.

However, despite these quibbles, I thoroughly enjoyed "Hollow Triumph", perhaps all the more because I wasn't really expecting to.

Anyone else catch this odd little film?

Yes, I watched it. I'd seen it once before. And I liked it more this go round too. Joan is great in this. There is a scene where both Henreids are in the same scene together. Briefly. In the office where Henreid is hiding behind the door when the doctor is checking the room. The film has interesting parallels to Dead Ringer which Henreid later directed where Bette Davis murders her twin and assumes her identity never realizing what secrets her sister is hiding as Henreid also finds out about the doctor. It bugged me the first time how no one noticed his scar was on the wrong side, but then I realized that was the films point this time around. Granted, one has to swallow a certain amount of disbelief in the plot, but once you let it go, it's very involving. Great ending.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It's Angel's Flight, the funicular railway that went up Bunker Hill from downtown Los Angeles (it still exists, but in another location nearby) It was used in many noir films...

Thanks, Hibi.

The film I remember seeing it in was at the beginning of the remake of M (the 1951 version)

6GTeJmL.jpg

As you said, it appears this has been used in many films.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_Flight

Angels Flight, was depicted in Criss Cross, Act Of ViolenceKiss Me DeadlyThe UnfaithfulIndestructible Man, The Turning Point, The Glen Miller Story, Once A Thief, The Exiles, Angels Flight, and The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Angels Flight, was depicted in Criss Cross, Act Of ViolenceKiss Me DeadlyThe UnfaithfulIndestructible Man, The Turning Point, The Glen Miller Story, Once A Thief, The Exiles, Angels Flight, and The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?

How SHAMEFUL is it that out of all those titles you list, the film that I *genuinely* recognize it from is THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES ETC. ?

The minute you wrote that I was like "oh yeah that thing. Remember it perfectly."

ive wasted much of my life. 

• Haha 2
17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

How SHAMEFUL is it that out of all those titles you list, the film that I *genuinely* recognize it from is THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES ETC. ?

The minute you wrote that I was like "oh yeah that thing. Remember it perfectly."

ive wasted much of my life. 

LOL. I bet you never rode it either!

Fairly entertaining flick, though the "dead ringer" angle is a bit on the corny

side. And putting the scar on the wrong side of his face. D'uh.  Joan Bennett

playing a distant cousin of her lazy legs character in Scarlet Street. Enjoyable.

I was amused by the crook doing a bit of studying and picking up on the

psychoanalysts' lingo. Yah, you have de von Hummingbird Syndrome mit a touch

of de Persephone complex. I can help you, but first you must all de clothes off

taken. The Code ruins this a little since you know that in the end Henreid must

pay for his crimes and die. Sort of cuts out the suspense. 

• Like 1
On 4/30/2018 at 11:13 AM, Hibi said:

Hibi, watch your language !

• Like 1
On 4/30/2018 at 11:28 AM, Hibi said:

Yes, I watched it. I'd seen it once before. And I liked it more this go round too. Joan is great in this. There is a scene where both Henreids are in the same scene together. Briefly. In the office where Henreid is hiding behind the door when the doctor is checking the room. The film has interesting parallels to Dead Ringer which Henreid later directed where Bette Davis murders her twin and assumes her identity never realizing what secrets her sister is hiding as Henreid also finds out about the doctor. It bugged me the first time how no one noticed his scar was on the wrong side, but then I realized that was the films point this time around. Granted, one has to swallow a certain amount of disbelief in the plot, but once you let it go, it's very involving. Great ending.

Right, I remember that scene. But I feel it doesn't really "count" in terms of the the two look-alikes encountering one another, because Dr. Bartok does not see Muller (a painfully disappointing moment when he just walks out of the room with nothing happening) behind the door.

What I meant when I said I'd have liked a scene they're both in together is one where they actually see, meet, and talk to each other, the tone and topic of such a conversation could have been really interesting.

We just discovered Noir Alley a few months ago and really like it. I especially like Eddie Mueller. His introductions are a wonderful addition. We usually record them on Sunday morning and view them that night. 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Right, I remember that scene. But I feel it doesn't really "count" in terms of the the two look-alikes encountering one another, because Dr. Bartok does not see Muller (a painfully disappointing moment when he just walks out of the room with nothing happening) behind the door.

What I meant when I said I'd have liked a scene they're both in together is one where they actually see, meet, and talk to each other, the tone and topic of such a conversation could have been really interesting.

Yeah, I get that. With the low budget, it was probably easier to skip trying to do that. The doctor wasnt really developed well, possibly to keep the audience surprised when it did come up later.......

• Thanks 1

It must've been fun to live on Bunker Hill in the 30s and 40s. You could rent a cheap apt. Work downtown. No car required. You could take the "train" down to work and back. And still live in a neighborhood, have a little yard and live right in the city! A shame it had to be destroyed for redevelopment.....

• Like 1

Just a reminder that The Narrow Margin is on Saturday at Midnight and Sunday at 10 AM.  This is a really good noir.  In my opinion, one of the better ones.  I had probably seen Marie Windsor before, but seeing TNM several years ago really brought her to my attention.  Have subsequently recognized her in many movies and TV shows since then.

Same for Charles McGraw.  The rest of the cast does a good job as well.

TNM should not be confused with Narrow Margin, the 1990 sort of remake with Gene Hackman and Anne Archer.  NM is also a very good movie and takes advantage of being made 40 years later.  The train scenes are far more accurate.  

Don't miss The Narrow Margin.

• Like 1

Didn't watch The Narrow Margin as I have two copies, but I did record Eddie Mueller's intro and outro.  Both very good.

I agree that the ending for His Kind of Woman is really not that good.  Eddie explained how it got changed by Howard Hughes and not for the better.  The ending fight scenes are way too long and I usually fast forward through them.  Fortunately Hughes couldn't get Narrow Margin ending changed.

• Like 1