Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

12 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Agree. For some reason, her career never really took off. She was always good in whatever role I've seen her in. Oddly, though she played mostly working class "tarts" she was well educated in real life.

Hibs,  have you seen her in Mystery Street ?  This is a noir I really like,  and, although Jan isn't exactly in a starring role in it,  I enjoy her performance in it very much.   

• Like 1
On 11/24/2021 at 6:39 PM, Cigarjoe cellph said:

Found another one today

la Orta (1946) a Mexican Noir that takes place at Christmas. Stars Delores Del Rio, it was good 👍

That was the one where she played twins? (Remade years later as Dead Ringer w/Bette Davis?)

On 11/28/2021 at 1:54 PM, Bronxgirl48 said:

Ginger seemed like she was auditioning for a sequel to CAGED as one of the "colorful" inmates.  She didn't do it for me here, unfortunately.   That hair did not help.  And her character never shut up.  

I haven't watched Tight Spot yet.  So I'm not going to comment on the film. 

But, I find that while I like Ginger Rogers and like her in her Astaire/Rogers films and in films like Stage Door, Kitty Foyle, Primrose Path, Monkey Business, Tom Dick and Harry, The Major and the Minor, Golddiggers of 1933, I'll Be Seeing You, It Had to Be You...  there's just something about her that keeps her from being an absolute, top-10 fave of mine.  I don't know exactly how to describe what it is about her on-screen persona that is sometimes off-putting.  I read her autobiography and while it was interesting, I found some of it to be a little hard to swallow--especially when she kept claiming credit for seemingly every classic moment of her collaborations with Fred Astaire.  Not saying that these things couldn't be true and maybe she truly kept coming up with one brilliant idea after another, but much of her memoir came across as very smug.  Contrast her book with Fred Astaire's memoir which I also read, and he couldn't be more humble and willing to give credit where credit was due. 

• Like 1
On 11/29/2021 at 2:46 PM, Hibi said:

Agree. For some reason, her career never really took off. She was always good in whatever role I've seen her in. Oddly, though she played mostly working class "tarts" she was well educated in real life.

Jan Sterling came from money.

Unlike, say, Dina Merrill, she never looked it, at least onscreen.

16 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Took me a while to figure out who "she" was since it was used right after Merrill.     

Both did have wealthy parents but Merrill's mother was associated with the Post Cereal corporation and was a lot richer than Jan's parents.

Merrill did always have that rich,  stuck-up type screen persona,  put to very good use in in The Courtship of Eddie's Father   especially when contrasted with Shirley Jones.  

Jan Sterling's screen persona was that of an working-class woman.    In fact I didn't know she came from wealth until I read this!

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I know. Quite a difference from the kind of roles she played. LOL.

• Like 1

Dina Merrill was a double heiress: E. F. Hutton money as well as Post Cereal!

It's my understanding that Merrill was struck from the social registrar after her slum with Cliff Robertson became official.

Does anyone else enjoy upcoming Sunday Noir Alley film  "The Unsuspected",   as much as I do?   The director Michael Curtiz  does a lot with this very 'camp' and sudsy mystery, with an interesting cast-- Claude Rains,  Audrey Totter,  Constance Bennett, Hurd Hatfield, Joan Caulfield,  Michael North, Fred Clark.

Glamorous cocktail parties... autocratic, wealthy uncle (Raines)...  seething family rivalries... death... amnesia .... disappearances....

Love slinky Audrey Totter in anything.   Believe it or not, in this, I had trouble at times distinguishing her from Connie Bennett (in a spunky role that is rather a departure for her).  They are made up to look somewhat similar in this-- or am I crazy.

Am wondering if this has been on "Noir Alley" before.   Eddie could have such a field day with this.

vlcsnap-2014-11-29-17h30m01s29.png

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, lilypond said:

Does anyone else enjoy upcoming Sunday Noir Alley film  "The Unsuspected",   as much as I do?   The director Michael Curtiz  does a lot with this very 'camp' and sudsy mystery, with an interesting cast-- Claude Rains,  Audrey Totter,  Constance Bennett, Hurd Hatfield, Joan Caulfield,  Michael North, Fred Clark.

Glamorous cocktail parties... autocratic, wealthy uncle (Raines)...  seething family rivalries... death... amnesia .... disappearances....

Love slinky Audrey Totter in anything.   Believe it or not, in this, I had trouble at times distinguishing her from Connie Bennett (in a spunky role that is rather a departure for her).  They are made up to look somewhat similar in this-- or am I crazy.

Am wondering if this has been on "Noir Alley" before.   Eddie could have such a field day with this.

Yes!

The Unsuspected

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, lilypond said:

No, its the first time. And agree, they could be sisters the way they look in this film. Sadly I've seen it before, so there's no mystery. But I'll probably watch it again. Haven't seen it in awhile.

• Like 1

Jan Sterling had my favourite hard boiled line of dialogue, thanks to Billy Wilder, in Ace in the Hole.

After unscrupulous reporter Kirk Douglas asks Sterling, wife of a man trapped in a mine, to go to church because it will look good in the press, Stevens, not quite so concerned about public images, replies,

I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons." - Ace in the Hole quote

"I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, lilypond said:

The Unsuspected is a good film and an interesting one in that the production company was Michael Curtiz Productions.     I suspect that this is the reason for the interesting cast; other than Rains,  the other leading actors (Bennett,  Totter,  Hatfield, Caulfield) were not Warner Brother contract players,  but where either loan-outs from other studios or signed by Curitz's Production company.     So we get a film that has that WB A production "feel" but with a very unique set of fine actors.    This from wiki:

By then, Warner Bros had just signed a 14-picture contract with Michael Curtiz's production company, and The Unsuspected was the first of three movies under the new arrangement. Curtiz's wife, Bess Meredyth, who was on the board of the company, was brought in to collaborate on the script.[9] Charles Hoffman was assigned the job of producer.[10]

• Like 2

Here's a coincidence:  Just a few days ago I discovered an ancient videotape I'd made  of The Unsuspected.  It's so old,  I don't believe I taped it off of a TCM airing,  I think it was from an Elwy Yost broadcast of "Saturday Night at the Movies"  ( Oh, Elwy,  you are missed.)

Anyway,  my husband and I decided it would be fun to watch it again...however,   disappointingly - but not surprisingly -  the videotape was so old,  it wouldn't play. In fact, our VCR player  ( yes, we still have one )  spat it out !

Two days later I hear Eddie Muller announcing it's going to be the feature on Noir Alley this weekend.   It was meant to be.  ( I mean, my re-watching of The Unsuspected. )

• Like 4