Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Are you kidding? That moon had a supporting role! (non-speaking, of course like Gale).

Yeah, it should have been nominated. (Victor) Sen Yung was very effective as the mega

obsequious law clerk. There were a few occasions when James Stephenson looked like he

was ready to take a swing at him. VSY was a lot friendlier when playing Hop Sing on

Bonanza. In real life I like to think that Bette would not have gone passively to her fate,

but grabbed a gun and started shooting. 

LOL. Did you notice that Fear Thy Neighbor is Back?? (speaking of noirs). It was on Sat. night with new episodes!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL. Did you notice that Fear Thy Neighbor is Back?? (speaking of noirs). It was on Sat. night with new episodes!

Yes I did. The first one about the nut in Montana who thought he was king of the mountain

is a repeat, but the one about the nutty mom in Tennessee (I think it was) was a new one.

I feel sorry for the people who are killed, but it's hard not to chuckle at folks getting into such

deep trouble over mostly trivial disputes. That woman was really a nut case.

I love this movie--especially the beginning.  It's not enough that Bette shoots her lover dead, she just keeps shooting until she's out of bullets.  If that isn't a woman scorned, I don't know what is.  I also love the repeated shots of the moon and of Bette's eyes! Like Gloria Swanson's eyes in Sunset Blvd, Bette's eyes were their own character. 

I love the scene where Bette wears that gorgeous lace shawl to see Gale Sondergaard, and wraps herself up to look so innocent, and Sondergaard isn't having it.  She makes Bette remove it.  I believe that Muller asked the question of whether or not Mrs. Hammond should have been played by an actual Asian actress and not someone made up to look Asian.  Maybe? But regardless. Sondergaard was terrifying and she barely said a word. 

For whatever reason, the last couple of times I watched this film, I kept getting Herbert Marshall and John Stephenson mixed up and was having trouble following the characters.  I have no idea why or how.  I watched it again during Noir Alley and I kept them straight the whole time.  I've discovered that I really like Herbert Marshall.  He's one of those actors that I know I've seen in other films and never really thought much about him either way.  I've now seen Marshall in three different films in the last week: The Letter, The Enchanted Cottage and Trouble in Paradise.  I really like him.  He's got a great voice and a great screen presence. 

• Like 1

speedracer5 saw three phases of Herbert Marshall last week.  His earlier sexy phase (TROUBLE IN PARADISE), his cuckold husband phase (THE LETTER, see also THE LITTLE FOXES) and his voice of wisdom phase (THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE, see also THE RAZOR'S EDGE).  Next watch him with Vincent Price in the original THE FLY where they had to do numerous takes of the SPOILER ALERT  fly-in-the-web garden scene because they couldn't keep a straight face.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hibi said:

OH SNAP! 

Thanks for the info! 

(I love that show)

15 hours ago, Hibi said:

What is Fear Thy Neighbor?  Is this on TCM?

35 minutes ago, TheCid said:

No. it is a hour-long show on the INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY CHANNEL.

each episode is dramatized but based on real events when neighborhood spats  ended up becoming DEADLY. In my opinion, it's one of the better examples of "true crime" programming because the acting and production values and storytelling are pretty good and not too too salacious (like A LOT of other shows on ID)

they also simultaneously run footage of the actual parties (who survived) being interviewed.

It's an interesting "study of the human condition"- and by that I mean you will feel INFINITELY BETTER ABOUT YOUR OWN LIFE CHOICES** as you watch some of the people portrayed on this show.

**at least i sure as Hell hope so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

speedracer5 saw three phases of Herbert Marshall last week.  His earlier sexy phase (TROUBLE IN PARADISE), his cuckold husband phase (THE LETTER, see also THE LITTLE FOXES) and his voice of wisdom phase (THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE, see also THE RAZOR'S EDGE).  Next watch him with Vincent Price in the original THE FLY where they had to do numerous takes of the SPOILER ALERT  fly-in-the-web garden scene because they couldn't keep a straight face.

Otto lets us say "cuckold"? Interesting.

I LOVE HERBERT MARSHALL TO FRIGGIN PIECES. did you know that he lost a leg in WWI? When I found that out, it kinda blew my mind and adds a layer of extra respect for his work on for me...(they had to have a double run up the stairs for him in TROUBLE IN PARADISE.) His work in THE LITTLE FOXES would make my list for one of the 10 finest supporting performances given by an actor on screen and he is incredible in BOTH versions of THE LETTER, the 1940 version and the 1929 Jeanne Eagels version in which he plays the lothario suitor!

ps- I think the story about the final scene in THE FLY has been debunked tho. but, if you wants to LIBERTY VALANCE it, go right ahead.

• Like 2

ps- if any of you are interested, the 1929 version of THE LETTER with Jeanne Eagels is online in full. it's barely an hour, is missing sound in the first two minutes and is not actually the film that was released in 1929 but- as i recall- a work print which includes unused takes (notably Eagels is fishing for her lines a couple of times in the final scene.)

IT'S STILL WORTH WATCHING- for me at least.

i like the final scene, which i've included below, feel free to go ahead and look at it if you don't wanna watch the full version on u-yay ube-tay.

in its own way, it's just as devastating as the ending to the 1940 version, if not more so.

(ps- dang this lady HATES rubber.)

17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I LOVE HERBERT MARSHALL TO FRIGGIN PIECES. did you know that he lost a leg in WWI? When I found that out, it kinda blew my mind and adds a layer of extra respect for his work on for me...(they had to have a double run up the stairs for him in TROUBLE IN PARADISE.) His work in THE LITTLE FOXES would make my list for one of the 10 finest supporting performances given by an actor on screen and he is incredible in BOTH versions of THE LETTER, the 1940 version and the 1927 Jeane Eagels version in which he plays the lothario suitor!

ps- I think the story about the final scene in THE FLY has been debunked tho. but, if you wants to LIBERTY VALANCE it, go right ahead.

Herbert Marshall kind of reminds me of a less cynical version of George Sanders.  I did know about his leg.  If I didn't know about his wooden leg, I wouldn't have even noticed.  I also learned that he was Rosalind Russell's brother in law for a short period of time. 

I really like him.  I think I've seen him in other movies here and there, but was indifferent to him.  After having seen so much of him in the last week, I think I'll have to add him to my list of actors to look out for on the TCM schedule.  Apparently I have 4 films recorded that he's in: The Caretakers, Angel, A Woman Rebels, and Blonde Venus

• Thanks 1

HERBERT MARSHALL was also great on RADIO (HOW COULD HE NOT WITH THAT VOICE ?), here he is in a more faithful retelling of DAPHNE DU MAURIER'S THE BIRDS:

UH, ADDENDUM TO THE ABOVE LINK AND POST:

OMG! I listened first to make sure (it's still playing as a matter of fact and it's a clean remastered copy even) and it's the radio broadcast, but i paid no attention to the ART THEY USED for the video on youtube!

i'm leavin' it (unless someone complains) because it's been quiet and no one ever pays attention to my radio posts.

17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yes I did. The first one about the nut in Montana who thought he was king of the mountain

is a repeat, but the one about the nutty mom in Tennessee (I think it was) was a new one.

I feel sorry for the people who are killed, but it's hard not to chuckle at folks getting into such

deep trouble over mostly trivial disputes. That woman was really a nut case.

Yes. I just meant that new episodes had started. I had seen the earlier one also. Crazy stuff. Then she gets off for it........

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

LOL. No, it's a true crime show that pops up now and then on the Dateline ID channel which runs true crime shows.... I'm an addict.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I LOVE HERBERT MARSHALL TO FRIGGIN PIECES. did you know that he lost a leg in WWI? When I found that out, it kinda blew my mind and adds a layer of extra respect for his work on for me...(they had to have a double run up the stairs for him in TROUBLE IN PARADISE.) His work in THE LITTLE FOXES would make my list for one of the 10 finest supporting performances given by an actor on screen and he is incredible in BOTH versions of THE LETTER, the 1940 version and the 1929 Jeanne Eagels version in which he plays the lothario suitor!

No, it was in The Little Foxes where they used the double on the stairs, not Trouble in Paradise!

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH SNAP! 

Thanks for the info! 

(I love that show)

Yes, me too. One reason I like to get to keep my distance from neighbors or BORES as I call them!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hibi said:

No, it was in The Little Foxes where they used the double on the stairs, not Trouble in Paradise!

probably that one too, but it's in the imdb trivia for TROUBLE IN PARADISE that the repeated scenes of his character running up the stairs (which happens over and over again in some scenes) was a double shot from behind.

ETA: The scenes in which Herbert Marshall is running up and down the stairs at Madame Colet's were done with a double who is only seen from the rear. Mr. Marshall lost a leg in WWI and although it was almost impossible to notice that he used a prosthesis, he could not perform any action that called for physical agility.

56 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

probably that one too, but it's in the imdb trivia for TROUBLE IN PARADISE that the repeated scenes of his character running up the stairs (which happens over and over again in some scenes) was a double shot from behind.

ETA: The scenes in which Herbert Marshall is running up and down the stairs at Madame Colet's were done with a double who is only seen from the rear. Mr. Marshall lost a leg in WWI and although it was almost impossible to notice that he used a prosthesis, he could not perform any action that called for physical agility.

I didnt realize that!

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes. I just meant that new episodes had started. I had seen the earlier one also. Crazy stuff. Then she gets off for it........

Yeah, she was way out there even for an ID show. Making all the other kids go in when she

called her own children in. Crazy. She could have fired a warning shot or hit the other guy

over the head or fired into his leg, etc. I wonder if her hubby was the little wimp he appeared

to be in the show. One thing that cracks me up is the criminal "mastermind" who goes into

the police station and confesses, maybe not fully but enough to get them in real trouble. Yeah,

that's some criminal "mastermind." I'm watching Perry Mason on Family Entertainment TV

instead of some of the ID shows. Of course they repeat the prime time shows later in the night.

Perry Mason is kind of a strange show for family entertainment considering all the messes that

they get into.

One neighbor I don't even know and have seen maybe once. The other is a smile

and wave neighbor, so I'm okay.

23 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, it should have been nominated. (Victor) Sen Yung was very effective as the mega

obsequious law clerk. There were a few occasions when James Stephenson looked like he

was ready to take a swing at him. VSY was a lot friendlier when playing Hop Sing on

Bonanza. In real life I like to think that Bette would not have gone passively to her fate,

but grabbed a gun and started shooting. 

Hop Sing and his imitation of Uriah Heep probably got him in a heap of trouble, after meeting up with Leslie and company and he learned his lesson by the time he got hired by Ben Cartwright and then he became all compliant and unassuming. I agree, Bette would have packed heat and gone off shooting anyone who got in her way. The book does not end like the movie, and thank goodness for that.

Yeah, some shows are better than others. I dont watch them all. It's funny how some cases wind up on different shows. I noticed that last night. I'd seen the case, but on a different show, so didnt watch it. This Neighbor show is one of the better ones. Hope it's on for awhile.........

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 5:35 PM, Hibi said:

I watched that too! I also love "The Killer Beside Me" series.

2 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Hop Sing and his imitation of Uriah Heep probably got him in a heap of trouble, after meeting up with Leslie and company and he learned his lesson by the time he got hired by Ben Cartwright and then he became all compliant and unassuming. I agree, Bette would have packed heat and gone off shooting anyone who got in her way. The book does not end like the movie, and thank goodness for that.

Maybe he got the hint and took a slow boat to California, along with a time machine.

I've never read the short story. The way the cop just happened by just at the time

of the murder was a little cornball, but hey, that's Hollywood.

16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Sure wish I could remember where I read about that scene in THE FLY (maybe an old issue of SCARLET STREET which always had inside info).  It was quite some time ago; just one of those things that stuck with me.

Yes, I know about the wooden leg which is why I said in some post a while back, they must have had to use a double in TROUBLE IN PARADISE in the scene where he's running up and down the stairs.  The TCM web site had mentioned a biography recently published.  I may get it; he had quite the movie career in addition to his war service.  I'm so glad we recognize and appreciate his considerable talents here on the Boards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1