Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

23 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Armored Car Robbery sounds like one of those movies I might have already seen,

but can't be sure until I see the first few minutes of it. At least it gives some

indication of what the movie is about, unlike such one word noir titles as Framed,

Pitfall, Impact, Jigsaw, Manhandled, etc., etc. And being only 68 minutes long,

you don't really care if it isn't great.

I looked it up on Wiki and I know I've seen it, but don't remember it very well.  Will have to watch it.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

I looked it up on Wiki and I know I've seen it, but don't remember it very well.  Will have to watch it.

I guess if I don't clearly recall it, I really need to watch it again. And I don't mind rewatching

movies that I have seen a number of times. I've seen Narrow Margin now four or fives times

and still enjoy it, though the twist ending is no longer a surprise.

• Like 2

For fans of neo-noir, debuting tonight at 2:30 AM is Le Deuxieme Souffle.

A1qEAzwPRoL._SY445_.jpg

According to IMDB this movie is partly influenced by the noir, Odds Against Tomorrow. 

• Thanks 2

I love how the Franch word for breathless is soufflé.

I used to feel guilty about being the only person here who dislikes THE NARROW MARGIN; then I saw MANDINGO and I am now incapable of feeling anything. 

Set those DVRS folks....if you DARE

ps- I STILL can't believe they're showing it

Um....

ARMORED CAR ROBBERY is very good so far, but I'm confused. They're talking about robbing an armored car delivering cash to Wrigley Field, which was in Chicago and this is set in Los Angeles. Did I miss something?

26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Never mind 

just lookied it up, apparently there was/is a Wrigley Field in East LA.

Be patient, Eddie will discuss it in the wrap-up!  (Being from the mid-west, I was surprised by that as well.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

now, i liked ARMORED CAR ROBBERY quite a bit.

it was so black and white in many senses- the duality angle of the story, that CHARLES MCGRAW and WILLIAM TALMAN (who were both excellent, although I especially liked little things McGraw did with his eyes and expression, even licking his lips in one scene where he gets a lead) were living parallel lives was strong without being forced. i couldn't help but wonder though, if an extra 30 minutes were in the budget, whether they could have worked in something where McGraw's character was also seeing his deceased partner's wife, as was the case with Talman, just to add a shade of grey to his moral standing....but really, it worked just fine like it was.

what was all this about a lewd public act charge against Talman? I couldn't find it on wikipedia.

what was the make of jalopy in the first scene where we see "WRIGLEY FIELD" in LA?

there was a strong resemblance between this film and THE KILLING (1956) only I LIKE THIS FILM A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN "THE KILLING"!

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it was so black and white in many senses- the duality angle of the story, that CHARLES MCGRAW and WILLIAM TALMAN (who were both excellent, although I especially liked little things McGraw did with his eyes and expression, even licking his lips in one scene where he gets a lead) were living parallel lives was strong without being forced. i couldn't help but wonder though, if an extra 30 minutes were in the budget, whether they could have worked in something where McGraw's character was also seeing his deceased partner's wife, as was the case with Talman, just to add a shade of grey to his moral standing....but really, it worked just fine like it was.

what was all this about a lewd public act charge against Talman? I couldn't find it on wikipedia.

what was the make of jalopy in the first scene where we see "WRIGLEY FIELD" in LA?

there was a strong resemblance between this film and THE KILLING (1956) only I LIKE THIS FILM A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN "THE KILLING"!

Check IMDB for the 'morals' charges against Talman.

According to the IMC(ar)DB the jalopy was a 1925 Ford Model T. Pretty good resource in figuring other the various cars and trucks.

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_355255-Ford-Model-T-1925.html

• Thanks 2

On 6/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. What a great write-up!

2. Among the other things Richard Fleischer directed is MANDINGO (1975). I saw it last weekend. I'm never going to look at his work the same way again, actually I'm never going to look at anything the same way again (read my review somewhere a few pages back in the I JUST WATCHED thread if you DARE.)

3. I love the term "terrain vague."

4. I was gonna make a superfluous u joke, but Lord Knows, Canada has taken enough crap from The States lately. Enjoy your superfluous "u"s, the majesty of your landscape, your sane (for the moment at least) government- and please be patient with your neighbor country until we are under new management.

Thanks for your kind words, Lorna baby.

Hey, did you mean "neighboUr" country?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Um....

ARMORED CAR ROBBERY is very good so far, but I'm confused. They're talking about robbing an armored car delivering cash to Wrigley Field, which was in Chicago and this is set in Los Angeles. Did I miss something?

You aren't/weren't the only one...

From Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Talman_(actor)

Talman was fired from Perry Mason for a short period in 1960. Sheriff's deputies, suspicious of marijuana use, raided a party on March 13, 1960, in a private home in Beverly Hills at which Talman was a guest.[8] The deputies reported finding Talman and seven other defendants either nude or seminude. All were arrested for possession of marijuana (which was later dropped) and lewd vagrancy, but municipal judge Adolph Alexander dismissed the lewd vagrancy charges against Talman and the others on June 17 for lack of proof. "I don’t approve of their conduct," the judge ruled, "but it is not for you and me to approve but to enforce the statutes."[9] Despite this Talman was fired by CBS which refused to give a reason.[10][note 1][11] Talman was later rehired after Perry Mason producer Gail Patrick Jackson made a request to CBS following a massive letter-writing campaign by viewers.[12]

I remember the episodes where Talman was absent, but always thought it was  some type of medical treatment.

• Thanks 3

On 6/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

4. I was gonna make a superfluous u joke, but Lord Knows, Canada has taken enough crap from The States lately. Enjoy your superfluous "u"s, the majesty of your landscape, your sane (for the moment at least) government- and please be patient with your neighbor country until we are under new management.

I get teased about the 'u' as well.

We'll get over it and in my books, some Canadians are acting stupid too, I hope they don't have any relatives or friends in the States.

Back to the movies...I was confused too about the LA setting and Wrigley Field. Seeing that Charles McGraw was in the train movie recently departing Chicago, I thought that was the connection. Glad Eddie cleared it up at the end of the movie.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2018 at 10:07 AM, arpirose said:

Richard Fleicher did not want to stay directing B Pictures . ......

.....I forgot to mention 10 Rillington Place (1971) that FLEICHER DIRECTED WITH A YOUNG RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH. I suppose that would be calLED NEO-NOIR TODAY.

I kind of don't want to get into this, but I can't seem to stop myself:  I would not call "10 Rillington Place" a noir of any kind, "neo" or otherwise. I don't regard movies about psychotic sex killers as "noirs" - some of them might be good movies, and they're certainly dark, but they are in a different category from noir.

Noir, for me anyway, is never about compulsive serial sex murderers. It's a particularly nasty topic which doesn't belong in the noir world.

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to think that anything with nastiness, with murder and weird sex in it, is a film noir. That is not my idea of noir at all, and if you read any of the original writings about the idea of film noir (you know, those French guys in the late 1950s,  Cahiers du Cinema and all that), they don't say much about that stuff. Just because it's dark and there's a killing (or several) in a film, doesn't necessarily make it a "noir".

I know cigarjoe has a theory about this, how different people have different responses to "dark" films, depending on their own personal history, personality, and sensitivities. He says each individual's response to a film (or I suppose, any work of fiction for that matter) is like a "tuning fork", and they will "pick up" different aspects of the film according to their own personal set of emotions and ideas.  This is an extremely interesting theory that I do kind of subscribe to, and I appreciate cigarjoe's telling us about it  (which he has, a few times.)

Still, horrid sex murders and characters like the Richard Attenborough one in "10 Rillington Place" will never hold a place in my tuning fork noir world.

"That said",  "10 Rillington Place" is a good movie. I just can't watch it, it's too horrible. (and it's not a noir.)

On 6/29/2018 at 5:54 PM, TheCid said:

Yeah, especially for you because it's got the word "car" in the title.?

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, I kind of wish Eddie had told us some of those stories he tantalizingly hints at.

Well, according to Imbd, in 1960 Talman was arrested for participating in a "wild nude party".   ! !  It says:

In March of 1960 Talman made headlines when he was arrested during a police raid of an alleged "wild nude party" 

"Wild nude party" ! I love it !

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Thanks for the info, and good God I hope Barbara Hale wasn't also there.

Well, the article does go on to say that Talman was exonerated of all charges. I dunno, these Hollywood Babylon stories are fascinating. So different from now, when every time a famous actor so much as sneezes there's a twitter chain about it.

35 minutes ago, TheCid said:

From Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Talman_(actor)

Talman was fired from Perry Mason for a short period in 1960. Sheriff's deputies, suspicious of marijuana use, raided a party on March 13, 1960, in a private home in Beverly Hills at which Talman was a guest.[8] The deputies reported finding Talman and seven other defendants either nude or seminude. All were arrested for possession of marijuana (which was later dropped) and lewd vagrancy, but municipal judge Adolph Alexander dismissed the lewd vagrancy charges against Talman and the others on June 17 for lack of proof. "I don’t approve of their conduct," the judge ruled, "but it is not for you and me to approve but to enforce the statutes."[9] Despite this Talman was fired by CBS which refused to give a reason.[10][note 1][11] Talman was later rehired after Perry Mason producer Gail Patrick Jackson made a request to CBS following a massive letter-writing campaign by viewers.[12]

I remember the episodes where Talman was absent, but always thought it was  some type of medical treatment.

OH WOW, THANKS!!!

ps- if My memory serves correctly, that's the same Gail Patrick who had a Hollywood career in the 30s and 40s as an icy brunette.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I usually don't get a chance to post here about the latest Noir Alley offering til an hour or two after it's aired, by which time everyone's left the building.

Oh well, a few thoughts about "Armoured Car Robbery":

I love, love these noir "terrain vague" locations. "Noir Alley"'s been on a roll with films with such settings lately. There are two in ACR, first the deserted garage or whatever it is where the first car, the one used in the heist, has been left and discovered by the cops. 

But the second one is the cherry on this noir sundae  (sorry, sometimes being silly is good for the soul). The wharf, or waterfront warehouse buildings or whatever that place is. The shacky old building where poor old Benny (Douglas Fowley) gets his for insisting on getting a doctor. Hey,  he's only been shot in the gut, why can't he man up and take it? I really enjoy this scene, where the crooks sneak around under piers, etc., watching the cops looking for them, gun at the ready. Of course one of them slips on a pile of rope or something, making a huge racket that alerts the cops and puts the final mark of disaster on the attempt to make the heist aftermath go smoothly. No such luck. But the atmosphere of this shipping warehouse /dock setting is just to my noirish otherworldly  taste - it looks like a place where anything could happen, like all good terrain vagues do.

Other stuff:  Thought the stripper (who I noticed doesn't actually strip, she parades around,  in high heels, waving a feather boa) looked a bit like Rhonda Fleming. I love her reaction when she finds out her husband (the aforementioned Benny)  "didn't make it" . She doesn't miss a beat. You can think these people are hard as nails, but at least you have to admire their honesty. They can't be bothered to be hypocritical.

Lorna - or Vautrin, sorry, guys, one of you?  -- said it would have been neat (as in neat and tidy) if Charles McGraw's character had married his partner's widow. Yeah, but he's supposed to be a stand-up guy who doesn't do that kind of thing. Plus, the widow wasn't half as sexy as Adele Jergens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Other stuff:  Thought the stripper (who I noticed doesn't actually strip, she parades around,  in high heels, waving a feather boa) looked a bit like Rhonda Fleming.

For me, the ecdysiast (let's keep it classy) reminded me of Virginia Mayo, but perhaps that's just a fantasy on my part.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

For me, the ecdysiast (let's keep it classy) reminded me of Virginia Mayo, but perhaps that's just a fantasy on my part.

I'll second the thought here on Adele Jergens being a near Virginia Mayo clone, and have thought so for years now.

In fact, a few years back around here, I even submitted both their pictures as "proof" of this in that ongoing "Lookalikes" thread.

(...and while, yes, Rhonda Fleming was always a very similar "type" to both Mayo and Jergens, the latter two could have easily been mistaken for twin sisters, I've always thought) 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Virginia Mayo !  Yes !  She actually looks more like Virgina Mayo than like Rhonda Fleming. Maybe that's who I was thinking of all along.  Thanks, cmovieview !

Adele Jergens:

Image result for adele jergens

Virginia Mayo:

Image result for virginia mayo

Rhonda Fleming:

Image result for rhonda fleming

• Like 2

I liked ACR as well and as I've said before; Eddie's comments before and after each Noir Alley presentation are great. I'm so glad they still show these old films on TCM. Hopefully, they're getting some younger viewers who appreciate these great B&W movies. I sometimes worry that today's movies with super heroes, special effects, and computer generated images are all the younger audiences want to watch. I've only seen a couple of this years Academy Award nominees. So far The Post has been my favorite. I'm finding the shows on Netflix and Prime are more interesting. Goliath, Bosch, and The Fall are some of my favorites and actually remind me of some of the old films. Of course the language and the sex are much more explicit, but That is just because the times have changed.

• Like 1