Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

*What about the movie Edward Dmytryk's "The Sniper" starring Arthur Franz and Marie Windsor?

Along with Psycho, a Noir for sure, and so is The Strangler with Victor Buono. There was another earlier serial killer Film Noir called Follow Me Quietly (1949). 

• Like 2

The definition of noir has expanded over the last few years, so now anything

goes, or almost anything. I can see a movie about a serial killer being a noir,

but to each their own.

• Like 1

Maybe it is time to move this discussion to the section on Film Noir and Gangsters and return to discussing Noir Alley here?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I knew what you are doing.I WAS PLAYING. It is OK. I had some fun this morning.  Nothing personal about it. I saw Armored Car Robbery online yesterday. There are OTHER ways to see noir for free on line. I am not impressed by McGraw.  But
William Tallman steals the show.  He is a menacing AND convincing villiain with psychotic tendencies. McGraw resembles William Bendix. I'll take Bendix anytime.  Bendix was fantastic in THE BLUE DAHLIA playing Buzz, who was the shell shocked vet during the war  AND PRIME SUSPECT.

Eddie should get some PARAMOUNT NOIRS SUCH AS THIS GUN FOR HIRE, THE GLASS KEY AND THE BLUE DAHLIA. Alan Ladd basically started the noir movement without being aware of it at the time. When Mr. Osborne was alive, he showed these CLASSIC NOIR films on TCM.

If anybody is interested in viewing a great Noir film.  Here is thE link to view THIS GUN FOR HIRE FOR FREE.  ALAN LADD SURE BEATS CHARLES WHATSHISNAME.

https://ffilms.org/this-gun-for-hire-1942/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Noir AlleyVerified account @NoirAlley 45m45 minutes ago

This week for #NoirOrNot host @EddieMuller looks at Robert Siodmak's THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY ('45) #NoirAlley

Wait, I'm confused. I thought it was gonna be Nic Ray's PARTY GIRL (1958)....?

ETA- IT'S ON THE SCHEDULE;

10:00 AM
C - 99 m

TV-PG

Widescreen

Closed
Captions
crime
Party Girl (1958)

Synopsis: A showgirl and a crooked lawyer try to break with a powerful mob boss.
DirNicholas Ray CastRobert Taylor , Cyd Charisse , Lee J. Cobb .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

? Nicholas Ray. Robert Taylor, Cyd Charisse, Lee J. Cobb, John Ireland, Kent Smith. Crooked lawyer (Taylor) and showgirl (Charisse) try to break free from Chicago mob life. Charisse has a couple of torrid dance numbers; Ray's stylish treatment has won this film a cult following. CinemaScope.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Wait, I'm confused. I thought it was gonna be Nic Ray's PARTY GIRL (1958)....?

? Nicholas Ray. Robert Taylor, Cyd Charisse, Lee J. Cobb, John Ireland, Kent Smith. Crooked lawyer (Taylor) and showgirl (Charisse) try to break free from Chicago mob life. Charisse has a couple of torrid dance numbers; Ray's stylish treatment has won this film a cult following. CinemaScope.

mr6666 is referencing a video that Eddie posts periodically to the Noir Alley twitter account where he debates whether certain movies are noir or not.  This week it is The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry being discussed.  If you want some extra Eddie, check it out at

https://twitter.com/noiralley

So we're still getting Party Girl this weekend on TCM ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, LornaHansonForbes is right.  That is what the schedule says.

Here is a Noir Alley question.  Why doesn't Muller tell people to come discuss the films in these forums?  And I fully understand that there are members who would prefer that he did not because riff-raff like me might show up, but I still find it curious that he doesn't promote coming to TCM to discuss films shown on TCM.  

And another question, who thinks "riff-raff" should be spelled with a hyphen and who thinks it should be one word? ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Looney said:

Yep, LornaHansonForbes is right.  That is what the schedule says.

Here is a Noir Alley question.  Why doesn't Muller tell people to come discuss the films in these forums?  And I fully understand that there are members who would prefer that he did not because riff-raff like me might show up, but I still find it curious that he doesn't promote coming to TCM to discuss films shown on TCM.  

And another question, who thinks "riff-raff" should be spelled with a hyphen and who thinks it should be one word? ?

anigif_enhanced-buzz-11501-1376604086-10

ONE WORD!

(AND GOOD QUESTION)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

mr6666 is referencing a video that Eddie posts periodically to the Noir Alley twitter account where he debates whether certain movies are noir or not.  This week it is The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry being discussed.  If you want some extra Eddie, check it out at

https://twitter.com/noiralley

So we're still getting Party Girl this weekend on TCM ?

ooook.

got it.

for the record, I caught part of PARTY GIRL a year or two back and- Nic Ray fan that I am- I did not know he directed it until I was intrigued enough by the visuals to imdb the movie. It has some really great montages (as I recall.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Looney said:

Just a guess on my part but it appears to me that TCM is trying to entice newer viewers to the channel and therefore is reaching out to the more recent media forms, ie FaceBook and Twitter, and doesn't care to mention us fogies on the old school message board.  Social media is king and anything else is hopelessly antiquated.

Having said that I myself do enjoy the thoughtful (and humorous) posts that appear here and I think this format lends itself to a better discussion of the movies, so it's too bad the message board isn't mentioned along with the others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ooook.

got it.

for the record, I caught part of PARTY GIRL a year or two back and- Nic Ray fan that I am- I did not know he directed it until I was intrigued enough by the visuals to imdb the movie. It has some really great montages (as I recall.)

Party Girl is a color film,  so therefore it can't be noir.    

Of course I'm joking (or not??).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As others here have noted, it's Party Girl up next on Noir Alley.

Again, I won't commit spoilerage, but I did want to make one or two "pre-airing" observations about this Nicholas Ray film. (And actually, the spoiler thing wouldn't happen because aside from my principled views on the unfairness of giving away plot points to those who haven't yet seen a movie, I can't remember the details of the plot well enough to do that. I think it was about two years ago I saw this - it was on TCM, natch.)

Ok, so here's the thing I remember about Party Girl:  maybe this is a bit of a spoiler: She's not a Party Girl !  I like Cyd Charisse, and I appreciate her performances in  non-musicals (hey, she was pretty likable in "Tension", for instance). So the first time I saw this, I was hoping Cyd would be, like, you know, a party girlKind of wild, lots of smoking and drinking, looking for a good time, maybe picking up a lot of men, or at any rate, getting drunk and dancing on table tops at nightclubs and, well, parties. I like those badly-behaved wild things, they're fun and often interesting characters.

But - ok, I guess this is a spoiler:  Cyd's not like that at all !  She's very classy, very demure, very well-behaved. Disappointingly so. She's not a bad girl or much of a party girl at all. Wonder why Nicholas Ray gave the film such an intriguing title?  Ain't no party girl in this movie at all. And I say, too bad.

12 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

As others here have noted, it's Party Girl up next on Noir Alley.

Again, I won't commit spoilerage, but I did want to make one or two "pre-airing" observations about this Nicholas Ray film. (And actually, the spoiler thing wouldn't happen because aside from my principled views on the unfairness of giving away plot points to those who haven't yet seen a movie, I can't remember the details of the plot well enough to do that. I think it was about two years ago I saw this - it was on TCM, natch.)

Ok, so here's the thing I remember about Party Girl:  maybe this is a bit of a spoiler: She's not a Party Girl !  I like Cyd Charisse, and I appreciate her performances in  non-musicals (hey, she was pretty likable in "Tension", for instance). So the first time I saw this, I was hoping Cyd would be, like, you know, a party girlKind of wild, lots of smoking and drinking, looking for a good time, maybe picking up a lot of men, or at any rate, getting drunk and dancing on table tops at nightclubs and, well, parties. I like those badly-behaved wild things, they're fun and often interesting characters.

But - ok, I guess this is a spoiler:  Cyd's not like that at all !  She's very classy, very demure, very well-behaved. Disappointingly so. She's not a bad girl or much of a party girl at all. Wonder why Nicholas Ray gave the film such an intriguing title?  Ain't no party girl in this movie at all. And I say, too bad.

What a demeaning title for a fine dramatic movie.

Hollywood suits make me sick.

• Like 1

Although this is not about a noir, next time Two Weeks In Another Town is on Miss W, Cyd does play a "wild sexy woman" without giving too much away and the way I remember the film (it's been a ling time since I've seen it) she's basically one of the reason Kirk's character in the film had a nervous breakdown.

• Thanks 1

You know, 

even though I am a huge fan, or would call myself one, of Nicholas Ray- I just imdb'ed him and was surprised by how many of his titles I have not seen. I have not seen the four films that he did between BIGGER THAN LIFE and  PARTY GIRL or most of what he did after.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

You know, 

even though I am a huge fan, or would call myself one, of Nicholas Ray- I just imdb'ed him and was surprised by how many of his titles I have not seen. I have not seen the four films that he did between BIGGER THAN LIFE and  PARTY GIRL or most of what he did after.

I only see 3 between Bigger Than Life and Party Girl. I have not seen Wind Across the Everglades, but it gets played occasionally. The True Story of Jesse James wasn't very good, but I don't care for Robert Wagner. It used to show up on the Fox Movie channel a lot. Bitter Victory was a decent small-scale war movie. As for later films, I've seen King of Kings and 55 Days at Peking, and thought they were typically bloated 60's-era "epics".

• Like 1

because it's interesting, i'm copying and pasting NIC RAY'S FILMOGRAPHY from imdb below-

[films of his I have seen and my rating on a one to four star scale are in red, for what it's worth:]

Lightning Over Water (Documentary) (as Nick Ray) [note, i saw as much of this as I could stand when TCM aired it]
 1978 Marco (Short)
 1974 Wet Dreams (segment "The Janitor")
 1961 King of Kings
 1959 The Joseph Cotten Show: On Trial (TV Series) (1 episode)
- High Green Wall (1959)
 1956 Hot Blood
 1955 Run for Cover
 1954 General Electric Theater (TV Series) (1 episode)
- High Green Wall (1954)
 1952 Androcles and the Lion (uncredited)
 1952 Macao (uncredited)
 1951 The Racket (uncredited) [three out of four. not bad, but more akin to a teleplay than a movie]
 1949 Roseanna McCoy (uncredited)[it's been too long to rate this one, but for what it's worth, i remember liking it a lot]
  • Thanks 1

HEADS UP, MY NOIR FAN FRIENDS !

Tonight  TCM is airing a bunch of Republic movies. They all (well, only 4) sound interesting, but the big enchilada of the evening is on at 11:30: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS .   

Interesting, we were just talking about William Talman in our "Armoured Car Robbery" discussion. Well, for anyone who wants more William Talman, he's on tonight in The City That Never Sleeps. I kept meaning to mention that film when posting about him in the ACR discussion.

Funny though, how my memory often plays me false. I've seen this film at least once or twice before, and the way I remember it, William Talman played a "mechanical man" who stands in a downtown nightclub window to attract attention to the club. Well, there IS a mechanical man, but it's not played by Talman. Damn, I was convinced it was.

Oh well, anyway, it's an interesting movie and definitely what I would call a "noir". Check it oot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2018 at 3:31 PM, cigarjoe said:

Along with Psycho, a Noir for sure, and so is The Strangler with Victor Buono. There was another earlier serial killer Film Noir called Follow Me Quietly (1949). 

"Follow Me Quietly" is a surprising little film. Also has Jeff Corey in the cast and if I recall correctly, Anthony Mann had something to do with the story. Great movie!