Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

Gee, Robert Taylor just committed about four or five objectable offenses in his closing argument. Enough to declare a mistrial. And they rolled with it. 

Movies huh?

Ok, I see you PARTY GIRL. 

You're one of those movies where the two leads are trying to act as little as possible, meanwhile everyone else in the cast is in a bareknuckle brawl to see who can ACT!!! the most. 

And you will NEVER win that fight when LEE J COBB is on the mat. 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK is also a great example (my favorite?) of color noir.

Never considered Bad Day at Black Rock as being Noir, but what do I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to give Ray credit and say that I think that he wanted to make an interesting film, but Taylor and Charisse are fighting him every step of the way.

it was wise to cast Kent Smith to periodically remind the audience that there are, in fact, duller actors than Robert Taylor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm going to give Ray credit and say that I think that he wanted to make an interesting film, but Taylor and Charisse are fighting him every step of the way.

it was wise to cast Kent Smith to periodically remind the audience that there are, in fact, duller actors than Robert Taylor.

Lorna, if you connect all of your comments on "Party Girl" together, you have the makings of a formidable review.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ok, I see you PARTY GIRL. 

You're one of those movies where the two leads are trying to act as little as possible, meanwhile everyone else in the cast is in a bareknuckle brawl to see who can ACT!!! the most. 

And you will NEVER win that fight when LEE J COBB is on the mat. 

Maybe I've become desensitized, but I thought LJC was somewhat restrained in this one (relatively speaking). ?

And what's up with the name 'Rico' for gangsters?

Whether you're a big fan or not, Nicholas Ray films are sure fun to watch.

• Like 1

Just now, cmovieviewer said:

Maybe I've become desensitized, but I thought LJC was somewhat restrained in this one (relatively speaking). ?

And what's up with the name 'Rico' for gangsters?

Whether you're a big fan or not, Nicholas Ray films are sure fun to watch.

I dunno, this one is really trying my patience...the acting is SO bad!

ps-  it was interesting how much the scene where Lee J Cobb beats up the guy with the silver pool cue at the dinner party was like the scene in from a year later in SOME LIKE IT HOT.

(I think the bald guy is the same actor)

6 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Lorna, if you connect all of your comments on "Party Girl" together, you have the makings of a formidable review.

Thank you, honestly I've been posting as a way to try and keep watching the film. I've been tempted to turn it off several times. The lack of acting is really starting to **** me off.

i'm starting to wonder if you extinguished a lit cigarette on Robert Taylor's hand, whether or not he would've reacted or even noticed.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Thank you, honestly I've been posting as a way to try and keep watching the film. I've been tempted to turn it off several times. The lack of acting is really starting to **** me off.

i'm starting to wonder if you extinguished a lit cigarette on Robert Taylor's hand, whether or not he would've reacted or even noticed.

Never understood how people can watch a movie and post to websites at the same time.  I sure can't do it.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Lorna,

I'm starting to get the impression that maybe you didn't like the movie...

No. No I didn't. 

But I'll get over it. It's not like DONT LOOK NOW levels of visceral dislike or anything. 

That "acting" tho. Oof. 

• Haha 1

I saw a bit of party girl.  I wasn't impressed.  Here is a film that was shown on Noir Ally last year to make up for this boring movie. It is SIDE STREET 1950 STARRING FARLEY GRANGER, KATHY O;DONELL, CHARLES MCGRATH, JEAN HAGEN AND OTHERS from the noir universe.

Here is the link to view the full move

[...]

Edited by TCMModerator1
Hyperlink Removed Due to Copyright Concerns

12 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

No. No I didn't. 

But I'll get over it. It's not like DONT LOOK NOW levels of visceral dislike or anything. 

That "acting" tho. Oof. 

I did enjoy it, but mostly because I like to look at beautiful things (Cyd Charisse!)  Have to admit it seemed like a very basic story, but perhaps that's because much of the plot points have been used many times.  As Eddie described, it sounds like maybe the studio really clamped down on Ray and kept him from adding things for the characters that would have been interesting.

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Never considered Bad Day at Black Rock as being Noir, but what do I know.

It's that sub genre of Noir reffered by the French as a Film Soleil, one of the sunbaked, desert/tropical noirs. In a typical noir it's what you can't see in the shadows can kill you, in a Film Soleil, everything you see can kill you.  

Bad Day at Black Rock has alienated and obsessed individuals, and a femme fatale, and Tracy is a sort of detective, no?

Other desert/tropical based Film Soleil are InfernoThe Wages of FearAce In The Hole, a lot of Detour,     
Border Incident, The BribeHell's Half AcreHighway Dragnet, The Hitch-Hiker, JeopardyJohnny Stool PigeonKey Largo, A Kiss Before DyingTouch Of Evil, and probably a few more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Bad Day at Black Rock has alienated and obsessed individuals, and a femme fatale, and Tracy is a sort of detective, no?

The Tracy character is very similar to the Bogie one in Key Largo;  alienated by the war but regaining his mojo to ensure justice.    But yea, there are a few noir themes in Bad Day at Black Rock (and those obsessed individuals are really obsessed especially iconic noir actor Ryan).    I wonder if the film was done in B&W if that would have changed how those that write books on the subject of noir would have classified the film.   It is my understanding most books on noir don't list the film as one (e.g. Film Noir by Ward \ Silver).

I liked Party Girl fine.  I don't know if it'd be one that I would have to own, but it had its moments.  The "Party Girl" theme song at the beginning was odd, I was sitting on the couch thinking, "Is this a noir or a musical?" While Cyd Charisse does dance in the film, it was interesting seeing her in a non-musical role.  I do agree that both Charisse and Robert Taylor seemed to be going through the paces to finish the film.  Eddie Muller mentioned that Charisse and Taylor were both at the end of their respective MGM contracts and both wanted out.  They just turned in the bare minimum for Party Girl so that they could finish the film and move on.  I wonder how the film would have turned out if Nicholas Ray had been able to cast more eager actors? That mustache looked awful on Taylor.  At times, I kept thinking that Taylor was wearing eyeliner and plastic hair.  Then there's Lee J. Cobb.  Ugh.  If only he could just go through the paces like Charisse and Taylor.  I think I've only liked Cobb in two films: 12 Angry Men and On the Waterfront.  Typically though, he irritates me to no end. Don't even get me started on Golden Boy

I'll admit that I actually fell asleep during Party Girl and missed the last 15 minutes or so.  I am not blaming the movie however, I am blaming the fact that ever since I had to start working the 6am to 230pm shift, I am unable to stay up late.  Soon however, I will be relieved of that shift and will be able to work at home a few days a week... then watch out everyone! I will be at Lawrence levels of movie-watching.  Lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Tracy character is very similar to the Bogie one in Key Largo;  alienated by the war but regaining his mojo to ensure justice.    But yea, there are a few noir themes in Bad Day at Black Rock (and those obsessed individuals are really obsessed especially iconic noir actor Ryan).    I wonder if the film was done in B&W if that would have changed how those that write books on the subject of noir would have classified the film.   It is my understanding most books on noir don't list the film as one (e.g. Film Noir by Ward \ Silver).

Well things change, Noir was never carved in stone, I have the 1979 and the 2010 editions and they have added quite a bit to their original list. Noir is an individual vibe you tune to it or you do not.

If it was in B&W I'm sure it might have been. We also have Leave Her To Heaven, Rope, Niagara, Hell's Island, I Died A Thousand Times, A Kiss Before Dying, Vertigo, and probably a few others out there

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

It's that sub genre of Noir reffered by the French as a Film Soleil, one of the sunbaked, desert/tropical noirs. In a typical noir it's what you can't see in the shadows can kill you, in a Film Soleil, everything you see can kill you.  

Other desert/tropical based Film Soleil are InfernoThe Wages of FearAce In The Hole, a lot of Detour,     
Border Incident, The BribeHell's Half AcreHighway Dragnet, The Hitch-Hiker, JeopardyJohnny Stool PigeonKey Largo, A Kiss Before DyingTouch Of Evil, and probably a few more.

I don't see Anne Francis as a femme fatale in Black Rock.

3 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I don't see Anne Francis as a femme fatale in Black Rock.

You Don't? She lured Tracy out to get ambushed by Ryan, that's a pretty good example of a femme fatale.

14 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

You Don't? She lured Tracy out to get ambushed by Ryan, that's a pretty good example of a femme fatale.

Maybe, but I just don't see her as luring him as much as fooling him.  A guy could have done the same thing.  Guess part of it is I just don't see Francis as a strong type in the role.

Francis was manipulated and I see femme fatales as being the manipulators or at least being much more active in the manipulating.

• Like 1