Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

8 hours ago, Hibi said:

Believe me, I get exercise. I garden for hours every day. Walk to and from my car 4 times a day usually during the warm months at work (10 mins each way). I'm always tired, but it doesnt translate into sleep.....

Have you tried white noise?  Sounds like ocean waves or gentle breezes?  I'm sorry you're going through this.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:54 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Could WHITE HEAT be considered film noir?

I can only speak for myself but I say no. It's brilliantly acted (especially by the one and only James Cagney as psycho Cody Jarrett), well paced, and quite a bit of action, but I don't know, it just lacks something that I think would put it in noir territory. 

Having said that, I do love WHITE HEAT.

It's one of those café au lait noirs light on some (darkness/shadows) of it's noir stylistics, but Cody Jarrett is obviously overly obsessed with his mother and alienated from society, and that kicks it solidly into the noir corner.

Another of these visually lighter noirs is Naked City. It's opening sequence of the murderers is its most stylistic "noir" dark sequence, but it more than makes up for that with it's cinema vérité qualities using structural NYC,  it's grids and diagonals, the physical parts of its various superstructures, like nets of steel, brick, and concrete, as a web enclosing Garzah.  

I haven't watched White Heat in a while but the next go round I'll watch and see if it uses more a cinema vérité approach influenced by Naked City.   

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

This must be so frustrating for you.  

I'm not sure what else to suggest.  Assuming you're in good physical health, perhaps some therapy to get at the root of maybe a childhood trauma or phobia?   Hope I'm not being too personal.

No, its nothing like that. When I was younger I could sleep through anything. Just started as I got older. Hopefully the doctor will ok Ambien. Melatonin or any of that crap doesnt work for me. Makes me drowsy, but I always wind up waking up during the night....

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Have you tried white noise?  Sounds like ocean waves or gentle breezes?  I'm sorry you're going through this.

I do run fans at night. That helps. I'm used to that "noise!"

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

No, its nothing like that. When I was younger I could sleep through anything. Just started as I got older. Hopefully the doctor will ok Ambien. Melatonin or any of that crap doesnt work for me. Makes me drowsy, but I always wind up waking up during the night....

Good luck with the Ambien!  

48 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...and if you all of a sudden start writing blatantly racist posts, we'll understand.

(see Roseanne controversy)

LOL! Or if I start sleepwalking or sleep driving. I'll keep you posted!

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Those white noise sound machines with other sounds, are great. Also try some Melatonin?

I like to turn the tv sound on really low, turn out the lights and drift off to sleep with TCM. The great thing is, no loud commercials that will wake you up if you do nod off.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I do run fans at night. That helps. I'm used to that "noise!"

Get this, a wacky friend of mine likes to run her dishwasher at night, and says the sound puts her to sleep.

Her hubby also says they have the cleanest dishes in town.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

PS in all seriousness, I want to say there is a generic form of Ambien out there called Zomig(?)

its great,  it is the one sleep aid I have ever taken where I did not wake up completely wiped out the next day.

Gee, Lorna...I thought Zomig was a Woody Allen movie.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i just looked it up, it's called ZOLPIDEM. Seriously, it's good stuff. you wake up the next day feeling very refreshed.

THanks! I'll ask about that too. If it's cheaper, I'd rather go with that then........

Sorry to derail the thread with insomnia. Back to noirs! Looking forward to Roadblock. I saw it around a year ago, but have forgotten parts of it, so looking forward to seeing it again........

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Sorry to derail the thread with insomnia. Back to noirs! Looking forward to Roadblock. I saw it around a year ago, but have forgotten parts of it, so looking forward to seeing it again........

Maybe you should start a thread for people with insomnia, and we could all submit titles of the most boring movies imagineable, to help you sleep, Hibi?

I will start..."Brother Sun, Sister Moon"? That or possibly "Paint Your Wagon" which should put you to sleep the moment Lee Marvin starts singing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Sorry to derail the thread with insomnia. 

You haven't!  Yes, please keep us updated.

I'm getting ready for BLACK MAGIC and TWO ON A GUILLOTINE this afternoon.  

Happy Friday the 13th, everyone!

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

"Black Magic" is a really fun movie, and as you can tell from the title, "TOAG" will not disappoint either with visions of double craniums in a basket dancing in one's head.

Thanks for the 13th admonitions, Bronxgirl! 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Oh, that's right! I forgot! Hope I get through the day (LOL).

• Like 1

I apologize for beating this dead horse with a stick, but seriously, my most vivid memory of "party girl" was struggling to stay awake while watching it. And I watched it at 10 AM on Sunday, after my full French press worth of coffee.

Robert Taylor kept having monologues and I kept totally drifting off. Your member that lady who used to have the seizures when she heard Mary Hart from "entertainment tonight"?

I'm really starting to think I have some sort of mild narcolepsy triggered by Robert Taylor's voice.

that ATONAL DRONE!

(whack whack)

yeah, ok. Horse is dead now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, CaveGirl said:

Maybe you should start a thread for people with insomnia, and we could all submit titles of the most boring movies imagineable, to help you sleep, Hibi?

I will start..."Brother Sun, Sister Moon"? That or possibly "Paint Your Wagon" which should put you to sleep the moment Lee Marvin starts singing.

I'm going to say this in a very small voice, but -- VERTIGO.

Yes.

The minute Jimmy gets in his car and starts tailing "Madeline", I invariably drift off into the arms of Morpheus.

• Thanks 1
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, CaveGirl said:

"Black Magic" is a really fun movie, and as you can tell from the title, "TOAG" will not disappoint either with visions of double craniums in a basket dancing in one's head.

Thanks for the 13th admonitions, Bronxgirl! 

You're welcome, CaveGirl!

I was really looking forward to BLACK MAGIC but unfortunately fell asleep about a half hour in -- not because of the movie.  I was just tired from a plethora of morning errands.  Drat!

I saw TWO ON A GUILLOTINE for the first time a year or so ago and really enjoyed the copycat William Castle charm, so couldn't resist it again the other day.  I just love that Max Steiner gives the rabbit his/her own theme song!  This time around I caught director Bill Conrad doing a "Hitchcock" cameo at the amusement park.    

• Like 1

To whoever was having trouble with insomnia...sometimes you need a good pharmaceutical crack on the skull to get you back into the rhythm of sleeping. Zolpidem (generic Ambien) will do it.

As to noirs...Eddie Muller's wrap arounds crack me up! So many Howard Hughes stories connected to the RKO noirs and who was in them! And the badly titled Universal noir "Pillow of Death"? I had to look it up and see if the film existed. It does, and it was put on DVD in the Inner Sanctum mystery set.  I actually have that set and have never gotten around to watching it.  This is why I keep my DVDs - THAT will never be on Netflix!  It must be bad if nobody ever bothered to put a scene or two on youtube, else I would link those scenes into this post. Lon Chaney Jr. starred and the director was somebody who almost exclusively directed westerns.  With the wit and wisdom of Eddie Muller on Noir Alley and the charm and grace of Dave Karger during the weekend, it's like a little bit of Robert Osborne still survives on TCM.

• Like 3

I really liked BLACK MAGIC.  TWO FOR THE GUILLOTINE was not at all what I expected.  I thought it would be much darker.  I loved Connie Stevens in this.  She added a charm to this character I didn't expect.

So onto ROADBLOCK (1951).  I enjoyed it.   I feel like Muller's intro painted a bit rougher character than Joe Peters ended up being, but I agree that his wrap-arounds can be pretty good.  I wouldn't say I'd go out of my way to see this one again, but I will say that more than once I was caught off guard by where this very predictable movie went.  I mean the journey was obvious, but how they got there had some interesting nuance to it.  

• Like 3