3 Jane Greer, Out of the Past

4 Peggy Cummins, Gun Crazy

5 Jean Gillie, Decoy

---

I've seen 4/5 of these performances, I haven't seen Decoy

• Thanks 2
15 hours ago, lydecker said:

Totally agree. And, be safe!

The film is derivative in plot from several films. (Angel Face). The Postman Always Rings Twice (the confession/marriage part) And When Danger Lives made around the same time with Mitchum (who leaves his good girlfriend for the femme fatale in both films) It's not great, but I LOVE the ending!

Sorry, I was responding to Lorna's post, but this got attached to yours.

18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Although, the movie does make me think of the rose variety ANGEL FACE, Which in turn somehow reminds me a little bit of the movie. There is a slightly film noir tint to the lavender hue or do I imagine that?

edit: For some reason my phone will not let me attach images.

Here ya go, Lorna:

Image result for rose variety:angel face

ps:  Hope you're doing okay, re, that hurricane bashing the Carolinas.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Although, the movie does make me think of the rose variety ANGEL FACE, Which in turn somehow reminds me a little bit of the movie. There is a slightly film noir tint to the lavender hue or do I imagine that?

edit: For some reason my phone will not let me attach images.

I LOVE Angel Face! (the rose) Wonderful scent. And I like the frilly edge to the petals.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Here ya go, Lorna:

Image result for rose variety:angel face

ps:  Hope you're doing okay, re, that hurricane bashing the Carolinas.

The picture doesnt do it justice. The ones I've had have a darker hue........That looks pink. Angel Face is a true lavender........

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Eddie said there he had thought of the 5 greatest femme fatale noir performances of all time including Jean in Angel Face.  I'm thinking of Barbara in Double Indemnity and Gene in Leave Her to Heaven for two of those top 5.  Any opinions on who Eddie said they were (I'm not on Facebook so I don't know his top 5) or who they should be?  Jane Greer?  Lana Turner?

Yeah, I too got to thinking about who the 5 ultimate femme fatales could be. How about:

Kathie, ( Jane Greer) in Out of the Past.   And Coral "Dusty" Chandler  (Lizabeth Scott) in Dead Reckoning.  Of course, as mentioned, Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck) in Double Indemnity. But the ultimate femme fatale, the unquestionably most evil female character I've ever seen, I think, in a film, has to be Margot Shelby (Jean Gillie) in a little-known noir called Decoy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

The film is derivative in plot from several films. (Angel Face). The Postman Always Rings Twice (the confession/marriage part) And When Danger Lives made around the same time with Mitchum (who leaves his good girlfriend for the femme fatale in both films) It's not great, but I LOVE the ending!

Sorry, I was responding to Lorna's post, but this got attached to yours.

I feel as though some regular posters here maybe didn't read my post about Angel Face.  (sorry, I do realize how whiney and "what about me?"  that sounds...)

Anyway, I spent a paragraph in the post comparing Angel Face to Leave Her to Heaven. I think my post is on the page 97 here if you want to read it.  But I also agree with the films you've compared it to.

4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

My candidates for what it's worth.....

Betty Davis as Rosa Moline in Beyond The Forest

Jane Greer in Out of the Past

Yvonne De Carlo in Criss Cross

Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity

Gene Tierney in Leave Her To Heaven

Marilyn Monroe in Niagara

Faith Domergue in Where Danger Lives

honorable mention

Evelyn Keyes inadvertently in Killer That Stalked New York 

Yes, I'd agree with your list, cigarjoe. All great candidates for ultimate femme fatale. (How could I have forgotten Yvonne De Carlo and Faith Domergue in those two films you mention?)

However, since it's totally "inadvertent", as you say, I would not even allot honourable mention of Evelyn Keyes in The Killer That Stalked New York.  For me, one of the key (no pun intended) features of a femme fatale has to be deliberate, calculated, intention to drag the hero down (if necessary) to raise the femme up.

• Like 2

Yes, for some reason, I skipped page 97. I've only seen LHTH once, so I didnt see that connection. I dont remember the plot that well. I was familiar with the Hughes/Preminger backstory on Angel Face, so I knew all that, but was glad Eddie filled other viewers in.

• Thanks 1

Have seen Angel Face and Where Danger Lives (actually recorded both to DVD).  But don't watch either that often.  Big fan of Robert Mitchum, but somehow these movies just don't come together for me.

Interesting that Faith Domergue (WDL)was another one of Howard Hughes' "protegees."  Wonder what backstory Eddie Muller would have on her and Hughes.

As for top 5 femme fatales, always have a problem with rankings such as this.  Just too many variables to limit it or to even try to rank.  Also, if I have ever seen Decoy, I don't remember it.  Looked it up and not familiar at all.

• Like 1

SPOILER

Another weakness in Angel Face, you never see Simmons real reaction when she realizes her father was killed in the crash. The lawyer talks about it at the trial (her behavior at the morgue) but you never see it in the film. I wonder if it was cut by Preminger or Hughes?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Have seen Angel Face and Where Danger Lives (actually recorded both to DVD).  But don't watch either that often.  Big fan of Robert Mitchum, but somehow these movies just don't come together for me.

Interesting that Faith Domergue (WDL)was another one of Howard Hughes' "protegees."  Wonder what backstory Eddie Muller would have on her and Hughes.

As for top 5 femme fatales, always have a problem with rankings such as this.  Just too many variables to limit it or to even try to rank.  Also, if I have ever seen Decoy, I don't remember it.  Looked it up and not familiar at all.

Oddly, when WDL was shown he didnt talk much about Domergue. I would've liked more backstory on that. How are you doing with Florence? Was there a lot of rain in your area?

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Oddly, when WDL was shown he didnt talk much about Domergue. I would've liked more backstory on that. How are you doing with Florence? Was there a lot of rain in your area?

Thanks for concern.  Dodged the bullet in northwestern SC.  Only got 1/2 inch of rain and some wind, but not enough to knock down trees & power lines.  Appears N.C. and eastern S.C. are getting the brunt of the storm.   Main concern for eastern NC and SC will be flooding as the rivers begin to rise.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Per Twitter, Eddie Muller says his top 5 femme fatales are:

1 Jean Simmons, Angel Face

2 Joan Bennett, Scarlet Street

3 Jane Greer, Out of the Past

4 Peggy Cummins, Gun Crazy

5 Jean Gillie, Decoy

---

I've seen 4/5 of these performances, I haven't seen Decoy

Yea Cummins should be on the list also, Gille I'd have to watch Decoy again

Gearhead here has only one comment to make about Angel Face...

Poor wittle Jaguar. ? Sniff.

(...okay, actually I have TWO comments here...the other one being that every time I watch how Mitchum so coolly but effectively underplays his character in this film, it reminds that it's really HE who should have the title of "The King of Cool" and not McQueen)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, Hibi said:

SPOILER

Another weakness in Angel Face, you never see Simmons real reaction when she realizes her father was killed in the crash. The lawyer talks about it at the trial (her behavior at the morgue) but you never see it in the film. I wonder if it was cut by Preminger or Hughes?

That's a really good point, Hibi. Since it's an important part of the story, how devoted Diane is to her father, how much she loves him, it would have been gratifying to the audience to see a reaction shot from her when she realizes she killed not just her hated step-mother, but her beloved father as well. That was definitely not her intention.

• Like 1