Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darb

42nd Street... audio commentary

Tonight's showing of 42nd Street  has the impaired vision audio commentary...  is there a reason why?

• Like 1

Having same problem I posted on Technical Forum:

Posted Today, 07:53 PM

Tonight, Wednesday Feb 8, descriptive audio on both HD and SD 789 and 501.  Not my TV or cable box settings.    Is occurring on both my TVs.   Tried an On Demand movie and does not occur.

Am I the only user with this weird problem?

Stephen L 

This was incredibly annoying. We changed to The General on Silver Screen rather than put up with the descriptive audio, even though 42nd Street is a favorite.

• Like 1

It must be a forum membership drive.  I created an account so I could find out if I was the only one.  I'm on Cablevision Long Island, and we've got it here, too.  Very irritating.

Some DVDs have the feature of a commentary of the film where a director or performer relate very interesting details on what had occurred during filming or their thoughts on certain scenes and how they were shot.  I enjoy such feature and hope maybe TCM will show some of them in that way.

Hey- Is this occurring cross carriers or is it only Comcast?

Cross carriers.  I've got it on Cablevision/Optimum.

• Like 1

Happening to me too.  Dish satellite...both HD and SD channels...2 different TV's.  What a shame....it's really taking away from the movie.  TCM's Twitter feed says they're working on it.  

Praise the heavens -- I thought it was just me! I've spent 30 minutes rejiggering my cable preferences thinking I've messed up somehow. I rebooted my cable box as well, only to have Susan Crane (who I am sure is a lovely person) yammering through the film.

What a relief. But what gives, TCM?

• Like 2

please tell me that during Ruby Keeler's dance scenes, the voice description captioning said:

"awkward lumbering...more awkward lumbering. Off-Key singing continues. Now she tries desperately to get something off the bottom of her shoe, no luck...no luck....no luck..."

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

please tell me that during Ruby Keeler's dance scenes, the voice description captioning said:

"awkward lumbering...more awkward lumbering. Off-Key singing continues. Now she tries desperately to get something off the bottom of her shoe, no luck...no luck....no luck..."

LOL! There's only one Ruby Keeler.......

• Like 2

LOL!

Aaahhhh...I see you, too, have asked the great Ruby Keeler question: Why?

• Like 2

And we can all thank God for that.

Ruby's taps were some of the best in the business.

Her Broadway come back in No, No Nanette was a fantastic success-- and her taps were just as crystal clear on the original Broadway recording

If truth be told, Ginger Rogers looked good, but couldn't tap her way out of a trash bag. Rogers was the best Faker in the business. Like all those people in the movies that you see playing the piano, but they really can't even play chopsticks.

Ruby's taps were some of the best in the business.

Her Broadway come back in No, No Nanette was a fantastic success-- and her taps were just as crystal clear on the original Broadway recording

If truth be told, Ginger Rogers looked good, but couldn't tap her way out of a trash bag. Rogers was the best Faker in the business. Like all those people in the movies that you see playing the piano, but they really can't even play chopsticks.

Wonderful from the thighs down. Not particularly graceful above the waist- she spends much of her time looking like a nervous tightrope walker. Eleanor Powell and Ann Miller mop the floor with her. Zero charisma, mugs "adorably" and emotes at a 3rd rate level. Dancers that can't carry their terpsichorean chops over to acting don't impress me. She was a product of fortuitous timing.

Her return to the stage has nothing to do with her silver screen career, of which I only found her appealing in any measurable way in "Footlight Parade". That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

But, no: As a dancer, Ginger Rogers may have been a student in a sense, not a polished dancer or finished product by the time she hit the screen. But Ginger learned to dance- not FAKE dance, but DANCE. Maybe she didn't tap to your satisfaction, and I can't begin to tell you how sad that makes me feel. But I don't watch Ginger to see her tap. If it is a musical, I watch to see a beautiful, intelligent actress dance and charm her way through a movie. If it's a comedy or a light drama I watch to see her sparkle, set the audience back on their heels. Ruby Keeler could only wish to have kelvin degrees equal to that of Ginger's star power.

• Like 7