Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Curious Oscar factoid

RoyCronin

See if you can come up with this off the top of your head without looking it up....challenge yourself for a few minutes.......

I was jumping around Wikipedia for some facts on performers and a few films and went to pages for the Academy Awards....this tidbit was presented:  The most recent year for which all 20 acting nominees are deceased.  

I went to the Academy Award database and quickly scrolled through all nominees since this year and yes, I think it's correct....

Experts on trivia out there may already know it, but I think it would make a great Jeopardy! answer.

Well my first guess was very wrong, so I started going back back back, as Chris Berman would say, trying to find a year where all nominees had passed on. Inevitably I would find one holdout who was still with us. I began to get mad at them for staying around.

Finally, I found a year where everyone is no longer with us, bereft of life they rest in peace. They... are EX-ACTORS.

I'm sure it's wrong though. There must be one more recent.

I'll admit I did look at the Ampas website.

The fact that Olivia de Havilland is still with us, pushes this all the way back to 1938.

Her first nomination being for Best Supporting Actress in 1939's GWTW.

Edited by Dargo

Helen, that's one of the names I had to check as I wasn't sure, but WINNER, WINNER!!!  Also Nancy Olson and Terry Moore, I couldn't recall what their current status is!

Your saying you "quickly scrolled through all nominees since this year" confused me. I figured it had to be a fairly recent year if you didn't do much scrolling.

My first guess was 1962  But a whole buncha people killed that: Shirley Knight, Terence Stamp, Mary Badham, not to mention Angela Lansbury.

You're right Richard, I worded it poorly.  I started at 1947 and went forward and then had to check on a few names. ..usually in the supporting categories

I must've misunderstood this then, Roy.

Guess I was thinking the earliest year and not the latest year.

Experts on trivia out there may already know it, but I think it would make a great Jeopardy! answer.

Speaking of "Jeopardy!" answers, here's one that floored me recently,

The category was ACTRESSES. The final "Jeopardy" answer was: From 1959 to 1968, she made only four films but received Oscar nominations for Best Actress for all four.

Speaking of "Jeopardy!" answers, here's one that floored me recently,

The category was ACTRESSES. The final "Jeopardy" answer was: From 1959 to 1968, she made only four films but received Oscar nominations for Best Actress for all four.

I knew that one: Kate Hepburn - Suddenly Last Summer, Long Day's Journey Into Night, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Lion In Winter

I knew that one: Kate Hepburn - Suddenly Last Summer, Long Day's Journey Into Night, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Lion In Winter

Correct! But that one messed with my mind because the other Hepburn popped into my thinking. Audrey didn't make a lot of movies, but had several Best Actress nominations during the time period mentioned. Then I thought about Elizabeth Taylor, who had a nice run of Oscar nominations -- totally forgetting that she did more than four movies during the period.

Katharine Hepburn might have occurred to me if I'd had more time to think about it. But once that 30-second jingle ends, you're dead!

Okay, so the dumb game I have to play with myself after reading the initial post is to carefully scroll around so I don't see what anybody else wrote. So, my guess is none of the 20 acting nominees for 1955 are still living, and that's the most recent year that this is the case. 62 years ago! We've had some long-lived nominees since then. Okay, I'm posting this so I can now read the rest of the posts and see if my guess was correct.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings