Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Patent Leather Kid" removed from schedule

SullivansTravels

1927's "The Patent Leather Kid", one of only three TCM premieres during 31 Days of Oscar, has been replaced on the schedule by 1981's "Pennies from Heaven", at 5am EST on Monday February 20. 

Richard Barthelmess' performance was nominated in the Best Actor category during Oscar's first year. 

The film would have been my 300th feature-length silent, beginning with TNT's showing of "Greed" in 1990. 

But ... at least TCM was able to find something else AA-nominated to fit alphabetically between "A Patch of Blue" and "Penny Serenade."

Blast! There was a big article up on this site about the picture too. It was there just last night!!!! The article I mean. I read it three times. Not yet another case just like with LILAC TIME which was pulled off of the October schedule? In this particular case, I had no reason to believe THE PATENT LEATHER KID would not air, since it was talked about for a couple of years after a live screening event. I expected the movie to debut last year during 31 Days of Oscar. Now I don't know what to think? To say the very least it's disappointing. Maybe it is being rescheduled for a Prime-time debut later on in the year? Let's hope so anyway.  By the way, we never got a straight answer concerning LILAC TIME. Both of these titles are long overdue for TCM debuts.

Incidentally, I want to take a moment to ask when we are going to finally see WHAT PRICE GLORY? (1926) on the schedule again? This picture debuted on TCM Silent Sunday Nights in November of 2011, and has not aired since. I mention this because David Shepard the great film preservationist who passed away a couple weeks back provided TCM with his personal 35 Millimeter print of the 1930 Movie-tone track sound re-issue free of charge to prepare it's broadcast master. Demonstrating the extraordinary generosity of the man. That happened after WPG had been yanked from the advance May 2010 schedule. Fox claimed it could not find any materials in it's archive, even though it had aired on the old American Movie Classics back in 1996, part of a week long War Films Festival. TCM Paid for a new transfer, but it would not have happened without access to the Shepard owned print. It would be a fitting tribute to the man to mention this in the intro of a future telecast. Subsequently, only about a year and a half later a more extensive restoration of the original 1926 release was completed by one of the big archives, totally independent of the TCM effort. But I don't recall which one off hand. I anticipated a DVD/Blu-ray. Alas, that has yet to transpire either. Maybe this restoration or Fox copyright confusion has precluded WPG from subsequent airings? Frustrating!

Since there was no word going around as to who wrote the score for  the premiere showing of The Patent Leather Kid, I was pretty sure it would not air. The trouble with broadcasting new silent films is that they need new scores. No score means a mute picture, unless it is a late silent with a synchronized score (and the sound disks survive).

This is a great film and deserves a TCM premiere some day.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings