Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My 2016 final & complete *Oscar winner forecast-(all 24 categfories)

spence

(INTRODUCTION: Posted these before, but not all of the *AMPAS' total (24 categories) In reality I hope I get a few wrong-(surprises) & also in reality,. I hope I score well again, my bookie won't like it-(JUST KIDDIN')

& AGAIN, I NOT OINLY WELCOME, BUT ASK FOR ANY OTHERS TO JOIN IN & COMPETE W/THEIR OWN PREDICTIONS-(last year I did lousy at 14 for 24 batting average of 58%)

But for the previous year I hot (20 for 24 correct avg of %83) & on the recent nominees, out of the top (6) Majors Is scored 30 for 35 (85%) Jakeem, or someone else got 1 better. Ironically the year I won the title in Variety as it's *"Oscar-0racle" for 2002 (I hit 17 for 24 though_) Peter Travers & I tied each other Typically, though Variety stopped it contest?. Now my debut yr if 1982-(a great year for movies by the way. I rated 10 new releases 4 stars!) I didn't know the politics of *THE AMPAS as yet & did rather weak, thinking "E.T." would defeat*"Gandhi"-(which swept 8)

(NOTE: As I written before sure wish Mr. 0sborne woulda come back just for "31 Days of the *Oscar" Especially since he literally wrote the bible on the subject-(YOU MUST GET IT BY THE WAY!) Nobody that calls them selves a bona-fide cinephile can go without it, or another titled "AFI Desk Reference"-(now it's not only AFI data, but everything movie related)

ANYWAY, HERE GOES MY (35 YEAR)& PREDICTIONS OF THE ACUTUAL WINNERS FOR THE 89th ANNUAL ACADEMY *(AMPAS)AWARDS -(don't think the usual posttime changes will occur, as I'm not doing very well sports fans)>-(depressing to say, but this may even be my final yr at my favorite annual game/contest?):

(SAVE & COMPASRTE & I hoped like my pal Jakeem,etc to be able to include each ofall the nominees,etc However,as I've learned in all these yrs it actually looks too tedious for most & eventually may turn them off?)-(HOPE HE DOES IT AT ANY RATE() & WE CAN BET A $BUCK$ HOW ABOUT THAT. WITHIN THE LAST YEAR HE'S PROVEN THE ARGUABLY BECOME THESE FURUMS A#1 WRITER. THATS SOMETHING THAT REALLY **** ME OFF, IN GAMBLING-(a victimless sport) LIKE HORSERACING, *OSCARS SHOULD BE A REGULAR BETTING COMPETITION IN VEGAS (I've gone to see (4) of the BP candidates & wanted to check out "Fences" typically of thesedays though they pulled it, despite it raking in almost $55m.) In the '80's if a film got a BP nod. it was immediately opened wide? & as Jakeem & others have filled you fellow "TCM-ITES" in *Oscars are to be presented "Live" on Sunday-(was always on a Monday & can you believe in March?>)

Sunday Feb. 26th, 2017 on ABC-TV & again from "The Dolby Theatre" on Hollywood, Blvd"-(it was only a couple yrs ago it was "The Kodak-Theatre?")-(680l H. Blvd. Mostly known and "Hollywood & Highland"-(I got to visit it in 05. & for reasons that escape me Jimmy Kimmel is the host? (TRIVIA: You can easily see "The Pantages Theatre" across H. Blvd from there, of course where the *Academy Awards were Aheld from (1949-59,including it's tv debut for 1953. My nitwit pal, that only knows about modern movies, asked why I was taking pix of it? & of course the legendary "Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel"-(est; 1926-) is also just across the blvd. In reality only the very first ceremonies were held in it's "The Blossom Room"-(it's strange, smaller & very musty) but only in 1929 honoring 1927-28 cinema. For yrs they used the shlep down to the "Shrine Auditorium" (TRIVIA/FUN FACTS: Back for the turn of the century TV's ET-(Paramount) had a time capsule to be buried underneat ":Hollywood & Holllywood"-(it was still under construction) & not to be unearthed for 100yrs. They include(3) videos: "It's a Wonderful Life" "Singin' In the Rain" & "Wizard of0z")plus clips from the show.

BEST PICTURE: "LA LA LAND":-(Summit)(8 to 9 victories projected)-(TRIVIA: & will make it the 10th musical to win the biggie)(EW recently messed-up in including 1944*"Going My Way" as a musical?) & to those that may be turned off to this incredible filmbeing an all-out musical, it's not. Starts out that way & then turns into pretty much a drama of these 2 people &I'm not a huge movie-musical fan myself. Did think *"Chicago' was fantastic, but *Fosse was different &those LADIES!)

BEST ACTOR: CASEY AFFLECK in "Manchester by the Sea"-(though not only from the looks of it, both & some momentum *Denzel in "Fences" just may take it & also make history by winning (3)? Though Hollywood/*The ACADEMY is very uptight a group. As jakeem pointed out, only (6) performers have been accepted into that rare (3) or more time winners club. & the AMPAS is still very uptight)(P.S. & who else has seen the terrific Western Casey was up for from 04 "assassination of Jesse James, by the Coward Bob Ford?"($4m.((***1/2)

BEST ACTRESS: EMMA STONE in "La La Land"-(though close over 63yr old veteran Isabelle Huppert in "Elle")-(Stone's 28)-(she's the "It Girl" right now., actually it's between her & *Oscar victor: *J. Lawrence)

S. ACTOR: MARHARSHELA ALI in "Moonlight"-(now 42)-(closest spoiler Jeff Bridges in "Hell or High Water") Also: Michael Shannon in "Nocturnal Animals"-(even though we share the last name! Like Jeff, along shot dark horse)

S. ACTRESS: VIOLA DAVIS in "Fences"-(A BLOW-OUT!)-(51 years of age)

BEST DIRECTOR: DAMINEN CHAZELLE for "La La Land"-(only 31)

ADAPTED-SCREENPLAY: "MOONLIGHT"-(Barry Jenkins)-(TRIVIA: Some *Oscar fax, in it's history they have adored adapted works over original ones by far.)

& ORIGINAL-SCREENPLAY"-(of late there's been a lot of tale between "La La Land" vs "Manchester by the Sea" taking this, I see the latter winning it myself)

BEST ORIGINAL-SCORE: "LA LA LAND"-(Justin Hurwitz)-(ANOTHER BLOW-OUT!)-(P.S. & a category near & dear not only to my old heart, but many online friends of mine) & another I forecasted "F. Foster Jenkins" & "The BFG" to be in?)

BEST ORIGINAL-SONG: "LA LA LAND" ("City of Stars")-(ANOTHER EASY PREDIX)

BEST FOREIGN-FILM: "TONI ERDMANN (Germany)

BEST ANIMATED-FEATURE: (clos-call) between "KUBO" & "ZOOTOPIA" but I predict the latter to have it's name called, which is also among the yrs biggest $hits%$)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: LA LA LAND"

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN-(which used to be called Art-Direction): "LA LA LAND"

BEST COSTUIME DESIGN: "JACKIE"

BEST FILM EDITING: (close race in my view, between: "LA LA LAND" "HACKSAW RIDGE"-(I barely vote/predict "LA LA LAND" again)

BEST MAKE-UP/HAIR STYLING: "STAR TREK: BEYOND"-(NOTE: I thoroughly thought "Florence Foster Jenkins" or even "Jackie" would make the top 3 noms. but it didn't (TRIVIA: IF "ST" wins, it would be only the (2) in the franchise to win an *Oscar to date)

BEST SOUND MIXING: "LA LA LAND"

BEST SOUND EDITING: "HACKSAW RIDGE"-(close again w/the big musical?)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: "THE JUNGLE BOOK"-(& richly deserved)

BEST DOCUMENTRY FEATURE: "O.J. MADE IN AMERICA"-(not to be confused with that tv mini series)(TRIVIA: Simpson may get out in October of the year, he was sentenced either to 9yrs of I forget the maximum?)

\

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT: "EXTREMIS"

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT: "TIMECODE"

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM" "PIPER"-(I hope soo too!)

(PREDICTION/SCORECARD: (9) "LA LA LAND" (tie-ing)it with if with *"GIGI" (l958), "*"LAST EMERPOR" (l987) & *"E. PATIENT" (l996)

(NOTE: A lotta' friends I have are in agreement, it's overtime to have a 25th category, this one fir Best Poster Design ala: Saul Bass' incredible art work over the years)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

(P.S. Of course all already know the annual "IN MEMORIAM ROLL" WILL BE HUGE FOR 2016. But, as I tried to tell folks-(not to name drop but of all people I have become friends with MADONNA-(l958-) within the last 2 years & she thought with the changing of the calender things would be better, I had to remind her & especially at both our ages,she should know better. She's a huge optimist. Already we had Mary Tyler Moore & a couple other heavyweights go for 2017. AS I TELL HER-(Louise) HER 2nd HALF OF HER REAL NAME, IT'S THIS AWFUL THING CALLED TIME & GETTIING OLDER & NOT A CALENDER,/CHANGING OF A DATE,etc ) I KNOW SHE HAS A MYRIAD OF DETRATORS, BUT SHE GIING BEHIND THE CAMERA, SADLY, AS MOST ACTRESSES/LADIES MUSTDOI INTHIS ERA, OR TV,et & HELMING A BIG PROJECT ON "GRETA MILLS" UNLESS,YOUR *STREEP, YOU JUST DON'T GET NAME ABOVE THE TILE THEATRICAL ROLES ANYMORE)

By the way who saw *Spielberg';s "The BFG?" Ithiught it was a fine movie (***) not great *Steven though ($54m,.) &was certain *J. Williams would score another nomination?)

& somewhat off the topic, but still on it. I keep reading, hearing,etc just how much you LADIES just adire Ryan Gosling-(l990-)

Be honest, how many of you great knowkledgable gals also all into this equation?

I mean they actas though he's the 2nd coming of *Gable or Cary Grant or something.

I get it, they like the brooding quiet type of roles he's played: "Drive" (**)-(a flat crime-drama chase film, but Albert Brooks stole the shoiw as the villain of allthings &for any film buffs that ever seen Ryan 0'Neal in "The Diver" (***) this paled in comparison. "Gangster Squad" (**)-(which had great costumes of gangster era Tinsel-town , but most notably in that is wax *Penn's work as Mickey Cohen-(though he looked nada like him) that stole that picture) & of course the huge cult film "The Notebook" ($71m.) I must admit, I've yet to e able see it) I mostly wanted to check it out for James Garner myself)

He's already been an *Oscar contender fir "Half Nelson" (**1/2) & did a movie last summer that was just asking for trouble with a capitol "T"

Teaming with *Crowe in "The Nice Guys" it played 2 weeks at best

But, be honest & I hear this everywhere now, THE LADIES WORSHIP this guy DO YOU?

I gotta' admit he was fine in "La La Land" but other actors coulda' filled the bill.

ANYHOW, VERY CURIOUS & I THANK YOU

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings