Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Irish Central.com picks the greatest Irish films

spence

There is a nice website (www.irishcentral.com) that covers everything Irish related & it just had it's own editing team poll/survey of what they voted as the top ten all-time best Irish motion pictures:

1st place "My Left foot" (l989)($15m.)-(*Oscar winner for Best Actor-(Day-Lewis & Supporting actress-(Brenda Fricker)

2. "0dd Man 0ut" (l947)

3. "Darby 0'Gill and the Little People" (l959)

4. "Once" (2007)-(won Best 0. song)

5th place "The Snapper" (2003)

6. "In the Name of the Father" (l993) ($25m.)

7. "The Quiet Man" (l952-Republic)-(ridiculously voted this far down the list?)

8. "The Commitments" (1991)

9th "The Magdelene Sisters" (2003)

(SINS OF OMISSION: "Q. Man" is to St. Pat's day what "It's a Wonderful Life" is to Christmas) "Gangs of New York" (2002) "The Dead" (l987) "The Informer" (l935-RKO) "The Last Hurrah" (l958-Columbia)

Eeh! Now what kind'a list is this anyway?!

Why, there ain't a Dennis Morgan movie among 'em...

;)

As well as not one film with Cagney and his Irish mob Warner Bros buddies.

E.g.   The Irish in Us staring Cagney, Pat O'Brien and Frank McHugh.      (as well as Olivia DeHavilland in her second film). 

There is a nice website (www.irishcentral.com) that covers everything Irish related & it just had it's own editing team poll/survey of what they voted as the top ten all-time best Irish motion pictures: ...

......(SINS OF OMISSION: "Q. Man" is to St. Pat's day what "It's a Wonderful Life" is to Christmas) "Gangs of New York" (2002) "The Dead" (l987) "The Informer" (l935-RKO) "The Last Hurrah" (l958-Columbia)

Why would you include "Gangs of New York"? It wasn't a bad film ( although not one of Scorsese's best), but it wasn't set in Ireland, not one moment of it. Ok, maybe the Daniel Day-Lewis character is Irish, but that's about it. A film with Irish characters who live in America does not an Irish film make.

"The Dead" is a great film, and very Irish, being based on the James Joyce story, and set and filmed in Dublin and its environs. It should have been way up there on that list.

E.g.   The Irish in Us staring Cagney, Pat O'Brien and Frank McHugh.      (as well as Olivia DeHavilland in her second film). 

True James, but I was mostly just jokin' around here with my reference to Dennis Morgan, as the movies listed seemed to be about the Irish in their homeland, and not the Irish-American.

(...except of course for spence's own "sins of omission" suggested titles of GANGS OF NEW YORK and THE LAST HURRAH at the bottom of his post, and which I doubt the Irish people who compiled this list would think of as strictly "Irish films")

Seeing as how no one had added anything for over a day now to this thread about Irish movies, I'd like to post another of Dennis Morgan's Irish tenor tunes from that movie, 1940's TEAR GAS SQUAD.

And while I know many of you around here think you don't like this style of singing and/or view it as "too old hat", I ask you take a moment and listen to this wonderful old tune and how beautifully Morgan sings it.

Okay, and now...take it away, Dennis!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZPjprxzAxA

• Like 1

MissWonderly said: "The Dead" is a great film, and very Irish, being based on the James Joyce story, and set and filmed in Dublin and its environs. It should have been way up there on that list.

^^Agreed.

That's what's wrong with "lists"-they're one person's opinion, and often lacking for others.

So, what do they mean by "Irish" films? Hollywood films about Irish subjects? 

Why not make a list of great Irish films? One of my favorites is 1992's INTO THE WEST

220px-Into_The_West_%281993_movie_poster

• Like 1

thanx to those that replied & gave own views,etc!

To sepiatone though don't understand your question about that -& that 2007 *Oscar-(& richly deserved) Best 0riginal-Song-("Falling Slowly") victory?

"The Field" (l990) is another powerhouse-(but depressing) work by Jim Sheridan & Richard Harris gives a towering performance!

He never had his named called-(YET) for BD *Oscar though. He's been nommed (3) years to date too.

Who's also seen his 02 "In America?"

& to (jakeem & any others that may know) exactly how old is Sheridan now?

I've written about this many times over 16/17yrs & go check out Ginger Alden's Irish Mafia website!-(the didn't care for the title & preferred "The Boys Club")

There are (2) big sites though dedicated to them, but hers' is superior!

Yep, another I somewhat grew up on. see when I was a kid & yet a bona-fide (moviefan, buff or even reviewer)

& basically only liked Steve McQueen-(l930-l980) & Evel Knievel-(l938-2007) as my heroes & idols

My mother wasn't a real moviefan yet herself & the only old-(were talking early to mid 1970's)

flix she'd watch or even out on were *CAGNEY"S-(figured out the main reason over the years & she's not alone. His performances will never appear dated,etc & always contemporary)

But, she still has no idea Shirley Temple was included in the old flix she'd have on back then???

...& basically only liked Steve McQueen-(l930-l980) & Evel Knievel-(l938-2007) as my heroes & idols

Ya know spence, there's a common thread between these two guys.

And so I ask: Are you a fellow motorcyclist?

• Like 1

But, she still has no idea Shirley Temple was included in the old flix she'd have on back then???

I can't understand THAT, since my kids were both born in the early to mid '70's, and know FULL WELL who Shirley was and wouldn't fail to notice her in any old flick.

This need some  " 'splanin' "

Sepiatone

I can't understand THAT, since my kids were both born in the early to mid '70's, and know FULL WELL who Shirley was and wouldn't fail to notice her in any old flick.

This need some  " 'splanin' "

Sepiatone

NO, she absolutely knew who Temple was, it's just that she -(especially since) never really cared for her, especially like *CAGNEY!

Never as yet saw "Into the West" wasn't Ellen Barkin & Gabriel Byrne in it? They were hitched at the time as well

& to the other that asked of I also drove/rode a bike, NOPE & NEVER DID!

Back before my spine & other ailments hit me though I used o literally ride miles on "My Huffy"-(which I dubbed "MY HORSE!") & miss it sooo much!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings