Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Was 2010 Such A Poor Year For Film ...

Palmerin

Just because it won Best Picture at the Oscars, doesn't mean it is the best movie of 2010. It is all subjective.

Here's a list of some other movies from 2010 that were critically acclaimed:

English Language:

Inception

The Fighter

Black Swan

The Social Network

True Grit

127 Hours

The Town

The Kids are Alright

Made in Dagenham

Toy Story 3

Winter's Bone

Rabbit Hole

Blue Valentine

Animal Kingdom

Another Year

How to Train Your Dragon

Foreign:

In a Better World

Biutiful

Dogtooth

Incendies

Outside the Law

The Illusionist

A Screaming Man

The OSCAR people have this curious bias that an English accent is a guarantee of quality and high class; that's the only reason why pompous self-important bores like CHARIOTS OF MISFIRE and GOONDHI have been awarded the top prize.

The OSCAR people have this curious bias that an English accent is a guarantee of quality and high class; that's the only reason why pompous self-important bores like CHARIOTS OF MISFIRE and GOONDHI have been awarded the top prize.

Or you could just have awful taste.

• Like 1

If I did I would not frequent this board in order to take notice of your comments and recommendations.

I was just kidding with you. I wouldn't have named The King's Speech as Best Picture, either, although I didn't hate the movie. It does have the standard Oscar ingredients, though: period setting, British accents, based on real people, overcoming handicaps.

Maybe the film that won Best Picture of this century that has split opinion so far is Crash. It regularly gets panned these days.

Of that same award year the other famous award ceremonies had it differently.

The Golden Globes never even nominated it for Best Drama Picture.

The BAFTAS picked Brokeback Mountain as Best Picture of that year.

I don't think Crash got nominated at Cannes's Palme D'or either.

Perhaps you are coming at this the wrong way.  You seem to be judging the merits of the films of 2010 based on what the Oscars chose to recognize.  As we know that can be a fool's game.  

Regarding 2016 Manchester by the Sea is the only one of the 9 best picture Oscar nominees that I would put in my top ten of the year.

Back to 2010, thought I didn't think it was particularly a strong year I did think The Social Network was absolutely brilliant.  But a lot of people disagreed.

When Eddie Murphy won his Golden Globe for his DREAMGIRLS role, he feigned surprise that he won because he didn't have a british accent.  Saying, "Ever notice how those British actors always sound so SMOOTH?"  Which brought a later response from HUGH LAURIE when he got a Globe for his HOUSE character.---

"You may have noticed by my accent that I'm British.  Which accounts for my being so smooth." 

Hollywood labored under a similar conception.  Notice how several older musicals featured singers( usually the female vocalists) which had operatic voices.  Probably because the producers figured it would make the production seem somehow "classier".

I'll agree that the "British factor" had a lot to do with the Academy's choice of CHARIOTS OF FIRE, as I saw little in the film to make it all that interesting.  But GANDHI was excellence in filmaking, hands down.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings