Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

May Schedule Is Up!

film lover 293

Looking forward to the tribute to the late cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond beginning in primetime on May 5th. Don't miss "Winter Kills," the 1979 conspiracy tale involving rich and powerful interests. Jeff Bridges, cast as the brother of an assassinated U.S. president, looks for answers. Meanwhile, John Huston gives a delightfully outrageous performance as Bridges' wealthy father.

The film, directed by William Richert and based on the 1974 novel by Richard Condon ("The Manchurian Candidate"), features an all-star cast -- including Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Boone, Anthony Perkins, Sterling Hayden, Toshiro Mifune, Dorothy Malone, Eli Wallach and Ralph Meeker.

winter9.jpg

Bridges and Huston

• Like 3

As for the rest of the schedule, I'm amused about the "Creature Features" spotlight, although I've seen them all before.

There are a few foreign films scattered about that interest me, like a couple from Kon Ichikawa, one by Louis Malle, one by Jacques Demy, and A Brighter Summer Day.

There are a couple of Gable movies being shown that I haven't seen yet.

The Memorial Day marathon eliminates one day of TCM Underground, as well as that Sunday's silent movie and foreign film offerings. Boo.

Of Unknown Origin is being shown. It's a good killer rat movie.

Logan's Run is on. Again.

Looks like they're starting the Boston Black-ie series on Saturday mornings.

The Spotlight on 1967 sounds interesting, but they're just showing stuff they always show.

The TCM Backlot get to pick a primetime lineup. Can't wait.

Interesting to see there's a belated tribute to Kirk Douglas on May 6th -- almost five months after his 100th birthday. The highlight is "Champion," the 1949 boxing film for which Douglas received his first of two Academy Award nominations as Best Actor.

champion-kirk-douglas.jpg

• Like 1

I see that Ella Cinders with Colleen Moore is scheduled for 6am on 5/15. This is a TCM premiere

so I can't understand why they would place it in an early morning slot. But then again they'll probably take it off the schedule for unknown reasons as they have before. They did this with Lilac Time also starring Colleen Moore in October.

• Like 2

I see that Ella Cinders with Colleen Moore is scheduled for 6am on 5/15. This is a TCM premiere

so I can't understand why they would place it in an early morning slot. But then again they'll probably take it off the schedule for unknown reasons as they have before. They did this with Lilac Time also starring Colleen Moore in October.

ELLA CINDERS (1926) is still in-complete since over 2 reels of footage was snipped from the 1928 Kodascope Libraries 16 Millimeter Show At Home edition that has been the basis for all copies in any format ever since. Unlike LILAC TIME, ELLA is public-domain fare since the copyright lapsed in 1953 without being renewed. In-fact, Eric Grayson, Jeff Codori, Jeffrey Nelson, and myself were going to start a Kickstarter campaign to have a new 35 Millimeter master struck, together with a stills reconstruction of the missing scenes. That being said, what's left of the film was screened only a week or so ago with a new live score and it's not impossible that TCM may have licensed this? I wish they could have licensed ORCHIDS AND ERMINE as that was recently restored from a full 35 millimeter nitrate print by the BFI. It also has a new live score that is touring. The BFI recently restored arguably my favorite Colleen Moore feature in 35 MM TWINKLETOES (1926) as well, though it's not clear if the original or alternate ending has survived? IRENE is another Moore feature that survives complete. Would love to see that in a beautiful new transfer. Why TCM would pay for a score to ELLA CINDERS instead of the long awaited HER WILD OAT or SYNTHETIC SIN I have no idea? I am hoping that they will pick up Grayson's new restoration of LITTLE ORPHANT' ANNIE later on this year.

• Like 3

Some fabulous stuff scheduled for May. The Danielle Darrieux tribute is a marvelous idea. Wild River may be a TCM premiere; it hasn't been on in a long time, in any event. Lee Remick and Jo Van Fleet give their career best performances.

The Fire Within is probably Louis Malle's best film, though not to be watched if you're feeling depressed.

The Ichikawa double feature is another must. I completely love Odd Obsession, which is off-kilter in the best possible way. I have only seen Conflagration in a VHS copy so bad the film was basically unwatchable. Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Typical TCM programming........

I just remembered that this had been posted.  Time to peruse the schedule! I like Clark Gable, I haven't see a ton of his films.  He's someone who was remembered as a great heartthrob during his era.  In some films I can see it, in others, he looks kind of goofy.  I guess it just depends on the film.

I think I'm finally getting to a point on my DVR where I have everything in the world recorded and need to really focus on clearing it off or deleting stuff and hoping it repeats soon.  I've been trying to be more selective in my recordings and only picking stuff that doesn't seem to show up on the schedule often.

May 1

Looks like a Glenn Ford birthday marathon.  I'll admit that I'm not the biggest Ford fan, but I like Gilda and The Courtship of Eddie's Father.  

The evening is a 100th birthday tribute to Danielle Darrieux.  I will admit that I'm not too familiar with her, but I would like to check out some of her work.  I'm thinking of recording The Earrings of Madame De... and The Loss of Innocence, because I like the title and the synopsis: "A European vacation turns a teenaged girl into a woman." 

May 2

The first night of the Clark Gable SOTM tribute.  I am recording: Clark Gable: Tall, Dark and Handsome documentary.  I do enjoy documentaries. 

May 3

Clark Gable SOTM rolls over into the next morning and TCM is showing a string of Gable precodes.  I have seen Night Nurse multiple times and enjoyed that one.  Gable is interesting in the precodes because he hasn't quite discovered his image yet.  Susan Lenox: Her Fall and Rise looks interesting as does Strange Interlude.  

May 6

Not the biggest Kirk Douglas fan, but I do enjoy sports movies, especially boxing movies.  Champion looks intriguing to me. 

May 7

Yolanda and the Thief.  I watched this once before, but feel like I missed something? I don't know.  I want to try watching it again.  I liked the film, aesthetically.

May 9

Looks like they're having an all day Margaret O'Brien tribute.  I really only know her from Little Women (Probably the best thing about the 1949 version), Meet Me in St. Louis, and The Unfinished Dance.  I would like to see her interpretation of The Secret Garden.  

It looks like the evening is dedicated to Clark Gable's films with Joan Crawford.  I will say that in Dancing Lady, Crawford is a horrendous dancer.  I realize that "hoofing" was a style back in the 1930s, but Crawford's dancing looks like mine when I pretend like I'm tap dancing.  I am interested, however, in Dance Fools, Dance and Forsaking All Others.  

May 10

The Clark Gable tribute stretches into the morning.  They Met in Bombay sounds interesting just because of the cast: Gable, Rosalind Russell and Peter Lorre.

May 12

Looks like a marathon of "Doctor" movies.  I've always wanted to see this bizarre looking Humphrey Bogart movie-- The Return of Doctor X. 

May 15

The Road to Singapore. A William Powell pre-code I haven't seen.

Union Depot.  This pre-code starring Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. and Joan Blondell sounds interesting.

The Girl from 10th Avenue.  A Bette Davis movie I haven't seen.

More Than a Secretary.  A Jean Arthur movie I haven't seen.

May 16

Looks like a Henry Fonda birthday tribute.

That Certain Woman.  Another Bette Davis movie I haven't seen!

The evening is more Gable.  This time it's all his pairings with Jean Harlow.  I'm going to record Hold Your Man again.  I really liked that movie when I watched it a year or so ago.

May 17

Looks like the Frances Dee marathon from April was re-scheduled to this day.  I remember saying that I wanted to record I Walked with a Zombie.  Since then, I have procured the TCM collection of Val Lewton, which includes this film, so I won't need to record it.  I am interested in Happy Land.  I like Don Ameche and this is also the screen debut of a 5-year old Natalie Wood! I am also interested in Finishing School, it's a Ginger Rogers movie I haven't seen. 

May 21

Boys' Night Out.  I enjoyed this Kim Novak film the last time I watched it.  I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Crime of Passion.  This Barbara Stanwyck thriller sounds interesting.  The synopsis says "An executive's wife barters sex for her husband's business success."  This will be interesting to see how this plays out in a 1957 film where filmmakers were beginning to be able to be a little more suggestive in their films.

May 22

The evening of "Grande Dame" films as TCM calls it, sounds awesome: What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Die! Die! My Darling, Strait-Jacket, What's the Matter with Helen?, and The Nanny.  

May 24

Homecoming.  The cast sounds interesting: Clark Gable, Lana Turner, Anne Baxter

It'll be interesting to see what the Backlot person picks.

i looked over the schedule for May and saw two fliks that you gotta see. All times are EDT.

Blood Simple (1984) is on at Midnight, Mon/Tues, May 15/16, This is the Coen Bros (Joel & Ethan) first movie, and it's a neo-noir corker.

War Nurse (1930) is a realistic (for its time) look at WWI and it's pre-code. It's on Fri, May 26 at 8:30 AM. That puts it close to the Memorial Day Marathon but not quite. Its look at the Great War must make it unwelcome to the Marathon.

Two other (unseen) pics get great write-ups. The Rage of Paris (1938) is on Mon, May 1 at 8 PM. It's part of the Danielle Darrieux 100th birthday tribute. Two Max Ophuls movies follow with Danielle in both, La Ronde (1950) and The Earrings of Madame de... (1953). But they're in French, so that may put you off (but shouldn't.)

And last, is Seven Days to Noon (1950). That's on at 1:45 AM, May 16 right after Blood Simple.

Looks like DVD time!!

• Like 1

Hard to believe nobody has even made mention yet of 'Eraserhead' (1977) being scheduled.

David Lynch's first "major" feature (not really, it was a years in the making independent project) - the nightmarish exorcism of the profound fear he internalized while living his own nightmarish existence in Philadelphia (or so it's said).

I've been told (by women in particular) that this is the most disgusting movie they've ever seen - and by a couple who absolutely refuse to watch it because of what other women have told them.

It is bizarre for sure - and difficult to tolerate. And yet, when Mel Brooks saw it he immediately offered Lynch the opportunity to direct the excellent 'The Elephant Man' (1980) which became Lynch's admission to the big leagues.

It's said that Stanley Kubrick, prior to beginning production on 'The Shining' (1980), made everyone in his production team watch 'Eraserhead' first.

• Like 2

How come when I go to the tcm.com site and try to find May schedule, all it will let me get is the April for Month's Schedules?

Found it.

You have to manually enter the date in the address bar. For example you click the 1st of April on the website's calendar and then after on the address bar you change 04 to 05.

Edit: I just noticed you said "Found it" at the end.

• 1 month later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings