Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Opera on Film

I am in marked anticipation of hunkering down to catch the Metropolitan Opera's production of I Puritani, featuring the renowned voice from Russia, Anna Netrebko, this afternoon. I wondered if any of the bright lights who post here so knowledgeably about all things musical, might have some good recommendations of operas translated to film.

I've seen the 1953 Aida with Sophia Loren (dubbed by the great Renata Tebaldi) and the 1988 production of La Boh?me with Luca Canonici, (dubbed by Jos? Carreras--who would've been just fine with me as an on camera Rodolfo). Wasn't there a production of Carmen some time ago with Placido Domingo that was quite well done?

Just wondering if there were some other good ones...Pardon my relative ignorance, just hoping for a few hints of what others find enjoyable. Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts. Btw, the link below will take you to info about this p.m.'s offering:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/gpatmet/puritani.html

Thanks so much for the "heads up." I had no idea it was to be on this afternoon, and just had time to set things up. Thought at first you were talking about the radio, but that's "Jenufa" - quite a different ballgame.

No time for details right now, but there's a lot going for the "Traviata" film Zeffirelli made with Domingo and Stratas. Also "Otello," but some music was cut (upsets some people more than others), and Diaz (though very good) is definitely a bass and not a Verdi baritone, singing Iago (maybe only in the movies - and recordings).

Happy watching (and listening).

Bill

[nobr]Thanks, Bill & Jack, for your generous replies. Anna Netrebko performed the mad scene in I Puritani exquisitely, and, at one point, lying down with her head hanging over the edge of the stage into the orchestra pit. My, what artistry! And a darn good actress too.[/nobr]

[nobr]I'm very grateful for the link to the older thread, since I could've sworn there was such a discussion a while ago, I couldn't find it when doing a search here by using just the word: "opera".[/nobr]

[nobr]Many thanks, and "bravo"--as the opera mavens say.[/nobr]

bild0691.jpg

[nobr]Anna Netrebko, apparently part of a new wave in opera, trying out singing from a slightly different position than she adopted in I Puritani. Here she's in a modern dress La Traviata.[/nobr]