Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is TCM Squeezing The Emigrants and The New Land Together and Calling It Just The New Land?

sewhite2000

I'm noticing just now TCM is setting aside a block of four hours and 15 minutes for what they claim is only an airing of The New Land, which is only an hour and 42 minutes long. I feel certain they must be combining both that film and its prequel The Emigrants. Guess it's cool they're showing the entire saga all at once, but with their own self-imposed alphabet limit, they had to just lie to all of us and say it was only the second movie.

Guess I will keep the TV on long enough to see if Ben M. offers any explanation.

No, I guess I'm mistaken. Ben M. said this is the 204-minute version that was released in Swedish theaters and presumably never shown at that time at theaters in America, where a version exactly half that long got nominated for an Oscar.

I'm still a little confused because TCM has set aside 228 minutes. Looks like we're in for an ungodly number of Wine Club and Backlot promotions before the short A Night at the Movies finally starts 24 minutes after The New Land ends.

I caught part of it. Wish I had watched it from the beginning. The last time they showed a dubbed version and I didnt want to sit through that again. Assumed it would be the same deal this time but it was subtitled......

No, I guess I'm mistaken. Ben M. said this is the 204-minute version that was released in Swedish theaters and presumably never shown at that time at theaters in America, where a version exactly half that long got nominated for an Oscar.

I'm still a little confused because TCM has set aside 228 minutes. Looks like we're in for an ungodly number of Wine Club and Backlot promotions before the short A Night at the Movies finally starts 24 minutes after The New Land ends.

I've seen both films, and this was definitely the second film.  The Emigrants starts with the family in Sweden and charts their very harrowing journey to America.  It ends with them landing in Minnesota, and The New Land starts where the first film ends.  Both films are long, but very good.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings