Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

He'p me, he'p me, I'm in P&P withdrawl!

Calling all Home Library consumers: old sled dog, tangled up in harness while reaching for wallet!

Here's my obstacle, Folks; having loved "49th Parralel", "Black Narcissus" & "A Canterbury Tale" for years now, and having recently decided to check-out "Gone to Earth", "Contraband" & "I Know Where I'm Going", I've concluded it just makes much more sense to purchase a big chunk of Mssrs. Powell & Pressburger's works simultaneously, or in a boxed set or 2.

So far so good, right?

But here's the horsefly in the custard: all the available combo's I can run down, on Movies Unlimited, Amazon or eBay, are either prohibitively expensive, or available only on Region 2 discs!

(And I really cringe at having to wait & booteg them onto VHS blanks from broadcasts!)

In the words of the Original Donald: "WAAUGHHHH!!!"

Please reply with suggestions, good Friends & Neighbors.

Gone to Earth, Contraband & I Know Where I'm Going are well worth owning, especially since they contain the antic charm and slightly melancholy turn of all of Powell and Pressburger's work--and Jennifer Jones, Conrad Veidt, Wendy Hiller, and Roger Livesey ain't too shabby either. If I had to choose just one film to own for annoying budgetary reasons, rather than a set, I'd probably go for I Know Where I'm Going. Since I've seen the wonderful Criterion dvd, I know it's chock full of extras that you would enjoy as a Scot and a cinephile.

I've purchased several used books, cds, and dvds through Amazon in the U.S., Canada and the UK, Barnes and Noble, Ebay, and Craig's List with happy results. In a quick check online, I found that the best priced items for these sought-after films seem to be found at Ebay currently. If you're not familiar with Craig's List, you might try starting doing a Google search for it for the largest town/city near you. It tends to be quite a good way to find obscure, gently used items. And, of course, as I'm sure you already have a library card, you might wish to take the aesthetic path and give up on that notion of owning every classic movie for the time being, and enjoy the dvd through your local branch, (which often has the ability to order hard-to-find items for free or a small fee through the inter-library loan system.).

I've probably stated some things that are already terribly obvious to you, Klondike, but I wish you the best of luck in your hunt. Btw, you've got to see Conrad Veidt as a rather flirtatious sea captain--he is just a bit devastating, *sigh*.

Perhaps this will only make matters worse, but I was surprised not to see several Powell/Pressburger films mentioned in neither your already-owned nor wish lists. Though torturous, considering your plight, I must suggest adding A Matter of Life and Death, and The Red Shoes to your cache. I also own Tales of Hoffman and Peeping Tom, but perhaps these aren't for everyone? I might be broke after buying all of these Criterion Collection DVDs, but Mr. Powell's saturated colors make me feel rich.

Completists unite!

> "And, of course, as I'm sure you already have a library card, you might wish to take the aesthetic path and give up on that notion of owning every classic movie for the time being, and enjoy the dvd through your local branch, (which often has the ability to order hard-to-find items for free or a small fee through the inter-library loan system.). "

O, Moira, if ye only knew!

Matter o' fact, my 3-storey antebellum is only 2 doors away from our Village Library (truth to tell, the original owner/bulder of my home donated a third of its original property-lot to the town expressly for the building of that hallowed institution, as I'm sure the librarians therein are tired of hearing me extoll), and whenever my primitive bulk shadows that inner doorway, I doubt not that those poor, overworked gals huddle swiftly together for a fast round of scissor-rock-paper to see who's going to deal with "Mr. Difficult".

(What, Volume III of Toltec Mythology is still out?! Well, those American Kennel Quarterlies best be back in chronologic order!!)

The upside to this rather Dickensian status is when I'm prowling the stacks and overhear one newcomer say to another: "Wow, quite the Classic DVD range for such a small town!"

"Your welcome." I think to myself, with the slightest of patriarchal chortles.

One of these days, the staff will deduce where their Valentine roses & Xmas chocolates have been coming from, and then my image will be ruined!

And Jack, thanks for the signposts, but in reality I did know about those other titles, and do desire them as well, I'm just trying to fill one porridge bowl at a time!

Perhaps this will only make matters worse, but I was surprised not to see several Powell/Pressburger films mentioned in neither your already-owned nor wish lists. Though torturous, considering your plight, I must suggest adding A Matter of Life and Death, and The Red Shoes to your cache. I also own Tales of Hoffman and Peeping Tom, but perhaps these aren't for everyone? I might be broke after buying all of these Criterion Collection DVDs, but Mr. Powell's saturated colors make me feel rich.

Would that A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH were available from Criterion but, alas, it is not.

klondike -

I admire your desire to own the Powell/Pressburger ouvre. A noble effort indeed.

Just a note to let you know (or remind you, as the case may be) that I Know Where I Am Going is showing on TCM in March.

8th March

I Know Where I'm Going (1945)

A determined, young Englishwoman sets out to accomplish her goals even at the risk of her heart. Cast: Wendy Hiller, Roger Livesey, George Carney. Dir: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger. C-92 mins

Just a reminder just in case you want to re-adjust your priorities when it comes to which films to acquire on DVD sooner rather than later.

Kyle In Hollywood

Another Michael Powell feature done before he teamed with Emeric Pressburger that was quite haunting, based on my one viewing of this film on TCM during their tribute to the filmmakers about a year and a half ago, was The Edge of the World (1938). Filmed relatively early on in his career, the dvd of the story of a dying Scottish isle features such bonuses on the dvd as: "Commentary by Academy-Award? winning editor Thelma Schoonmaker Powell, film historian Ian Christie and Daniel Day-Lewis reading from Michael Powell's book on the making of the film, "200,000 Feet on Foula."

Any movie that also has Finlay Currie and John Laurie in the cast deserves a spot on my video shelf, even though it clocks in around 20 bucks, even for a used copy, from what I see around the web. Can the purchase of a lottery ticket really be a good longterm investment?

;)

> "Just a note to let you know (or remind you, as the case may be) that I Know Where I Am Going is showing on TCM in March. "

Many thanks for the reminder, Kyle!

I've got it marked on my calendar, and a friend of mine (I do have a couple outside the Boards!), who owns a brand new DVR, has promised to burn a disc of it for me!

In the meantime, I think I've tracked down a DVD of "Canterbury" that I can afford.

Things are looking up!

Well I've been collecting P&P since college... here's some links that may be useful:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powell-Pressburger-Collection-Dirk-Bogarde/dp/B000HRLWR6/sr=8-1/qid=1172326938/ref=pd_ka_1/202-0683021-1265455?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

The Powell And Pressburger Collection

Synopsis

Contains eleven Emeric Pressburger and Michael Powell films. Includes A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, THE RED SHOES, THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP, A CANTERBURY TALE, I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING, 49TH PARALLEL, BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE, ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT, THEY'RE A WEIRD MOB, THE TALES OF HOFFMAN, and BLACK NARCISSUS.

A Matter of Life and Death is currently on sale (75% off) at amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Matter-Life-Death-David-Niven/dp/B00004CX5N/sr=8-2/qid=1172326938/ref=sr_1_2/202-0683021-1265455?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Although Criterion did a good job with its Black Narcissus DVD, the image quality is said to have been surpassed by later DVD releases in the UK and France (with the French WHV DVD reportedly the best, by far):

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview2/blacknarcissus.htm

Well Klondike if it is a matter of Region 2 there are Regionless DVD players that aren't too expensive. Also I think some DVD players will play another region they won't tell you. Our Sony plays region 2 we found out after taking a chance on some Asian film that we ordered via some obscure site.

Al

Could it be the Asian DVDs were actually "region zero" DVDs? I thought a lot of Asian-made movies were.

But in any event you're right, it's fairly cheap to find a way to get around all this silly regional coding, it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg unless you want top-of-the-line players.

I am pretty sure it is 2. On the back it says NTSC 2. I kept looking for other clues but all was written in Japanese. Of interest Disc 1 (the actual movie) was subtitled (thank god) but disk 2 special features was not. I am still waiting to make a Japanese friend who wants to do me an incredibly large favor.

Al

I am pretty sure it is 2. On the back it says NTSC 2. I kept looking for other clues but all was written in Japanese. Of interest Disc 1 (the actual movie) was subtitled (thank god) but disk 2 special features was not. I am still waiting to make a Japanese friend who wants to do me an incredibly large favor.

Al

It says NTSC 2 on the back. I looked for other clues but I don't read Japanese very well.

When I ordered the site said region 2.

It was a 2 disk set and the movie disk was subtitled (thank god) but disk 2 special features was not subtitled. I am still waiting to make the acquaintance of a nice Japanese person who likes to do incredibly large favors.

Al

It says NTSC 2 on the back. I looked for other clues but I don't read Japanese very well.

When I ordered the site said region 2.

It was a 2 disk set and the movie disk was subtitled (thank god) but disk 2 special features was not subtitled. I am still waiting to make the acquaintance of a nice Japanese person who likes to do incredibly large favors.

Al

Klondike,

Wanted to let you know that I read an interview with Scorcese that he did last night after winning the Oscar.

Looks like the Film Foundation (the film preservation foundation he started a few years back) is going to be restoring The Red Shoes sometime this year.

The Hollywood Foreign Press is helping foot the bill for the restoration.

Can anyone who visits this thread explain why the boom mike

was visible all through Hollywoodland? One of my friends also told me

the same thing happened in a recently released movie she saw.

I ran across some complaints about it on blogs on the web, but

I could never find anyone with the answer.

Well some movies are meant to be shown matted in theaters, but sometimes the projectionist doesn't do a good job of lining up the movie the way it's supposed to be.

That's the first explanation that comes to mind, because I also saw it in the theater and didn't notice any boom mike.