Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film critic Richard Schickel (1933-2017)

jakeem

The influential film critic and historian Richard Schickel, who wrote for Time magazine for 38 years, has died at the age of 84.

richard-schickel.png?w=446&h=299&crop=1

Schickel wrote numerous books about filmmaking and filmmakers. He also dabbled in documentaries, including his "The Men Who Made the Movies" series about such great directors as Sir Alfred Hitchcock, Frank Capra, Vincente Minnelli, George Cukor, Howard Hawks, William A. Wellman, King Vidor and Raoul Walsh.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-richard-schickel-dies-20170219-story.html

• Like 2

The influential film critic and historian Richard Schickel, who wrote for Time magazine for 38 years, has died at the age of 84.

richard-schickel.png?w=446&h=299&crop=1

Schickel wrote numerous books about filmmaking and filmmakers. He also dabbled in documentaries, including his "The Men Who Made the Movies" series about such great directors as Sir Alfred Hitchcock, Frank Capra, Vincente Minnelli, George Cukor, Howard Hawks, William A. Wellman, King Vidor and Raoul Walsh.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-richard-schickel-dies-20170219-story.html

I have to say more than any one critic or film historian, Richard Schickel is responsible for my whole conception of the Golden Era of Hollywood-- the movie stars and Studio heads and directors who made it happen.

It was reading his books and magazine articles that first truly ignited my hunger to learn more about Hollywood legends. He had a way of truly describing the bigger than life aspect of the star, while at the same time retaining and understanding the very human and vulnerable quality of the star.

A Great era deserved a great film historian and that was Richard Schickel.

• Like 2

The reason I rank TMWMTM so high is because of the societal and moral context written into the narration.  These films gave genuine insight into the progressive bodies of work by each of the directors interviewed and profiled. Just the interviews alone make these extraordinary films, much like BBC's six-part history of RKO.

I have to say more than any one critic or film historian, Richard Schickel is responsible for my whole conception of the Golden Era of Hollywood-- the movie stars and Studio heads and directors who made it happen.

It was reading his books and magazine articles that first truly ignited my hunger to learn more about Hollywood legends. He had a way of truly describing the bigger than life aspect of the star, while at the same time retaining and understanding the very human and vulnerable quality of the star.

A Great era deserved a great film historian and that was Richard Schickel.

Did he ever have any connection with TCM?

He was probably topped by Judith Crist in TV Guide (remember her?)

I can never forget Judith- - she was one of the biggest fans that Judy Garland ever had in the film criticism community.

Judith Crist was very well known in the United States, but I think also that Richard Schickel's Life articles were seen on an international level as well.

My favorite installment of "The Men Who Made the Movies" is the one about Sir Alfred Hitchcock. The Master of Suspense was a great storyteller on and off the screen

My favorite Hitch story is one he told in the 1969 documentary on David Selznick, about receiving one of Selznick's legendarily lengthy memos. Hitch tells it in a hilarious deadpan, with perfectly spaced pauses.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings