Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how many times during the upcoming academy awards ceremonies will....

NipkowDisc

Hmmmm...thinkin' the boards are a little slow today TOO are ya, ND?! ;)

Okay, I'll bite!

My guess, six times...NOT including the five times Oscar host Jimmy Kimmel will bring up the guy's name. And so, that's a total of what, eleven here, right?!

And if there's some kind'a prize for guessin' correctly here, please send all my winnings to my Arizona senator John McCain, seemingly the only politico in the same party as the President who has the guts to speak truth to power, lately.

(...OH btw ND...you DO realize that this thread is at the minimum going to be moved to Blowhard Central, aka the "Off-Topic" forum, but most likely will be moved to Billy Mumy's cornfield within, say, an hour from now, if even THAT long)

• Like 2

Hmmmm...thinkin' the boards are a little slow today TOO are ya, ND?! ;)

Okay, I'll bite!

My guess, six times...NOT including the five times Oscar host Jimmy Kimmel will bring up the guy's name. And so, that's a total of what, eleven here, right?!

And if there's some kind'a prize for guessin' correctly here, please send all my winnings to my Arizona senator John McCain, seemingly the only politico in the same party as the President who has the guts to speak truth to power, lately.

(...OH btw ND...you DO realize that this thread is at the minimum going to be moved to Blowhard Central, aka the "Off-Topic" forum, but most likely will be moved to Billy Mumy's cornfield within, say, an hour from now, if even THAT long)

McCain is speaking out since he knows Trump can't insult him anymore than he already has by saying he isn't a hero.

In addition McCain isn't going to run for office after this,  just starting, 6 year term is up.

• Like 2

I'll never know.  I can't believe anyone can possibly sit through any of these, grotesque, award shows?  For me, none of these people are movie stars, and I couldn't possibly care less what their political opinions are.  Not only that, but there are now so many shows where actors tell each other how great they are, I simply cannot comprehend how they aren't embarrassed by it?

• Like 1

NipkowDisc, Meryl Streep never mentioned you-know-who by name and it's likely no one at this year's Academy Awards ceremony will either.

Are you offering some "alternative facts" to the boards?

Yes,  but if you believe there will not be political comments made that clearly are in reference to you-know-who,  you live in an alternative universe.

• Like 1

What I would like to know is- why are those swanky gift bags given to the attendees? These are some of the richest folks around, and they are always complaining about the lack of support in poorer nations, so why don't they make a conscious effort to gather all the funds spent on these "gift bags" and donate them to charity?

• Like 3

What I would like to know is- why are those swanky gift bags given to the attendees? These are some of the richest folks around, and they are always complaining about the lack of support in poorer nations, so why don't they make a conscious effort to gather all the funds spent on these "gift bags" and donate them to charity?

The gift bags are given in the hope that a celebrity would be seen \ photographed,  videoed,   with said product thus causing star-crazed fans to say "I need that because Liz has it'.

• Like 1

I cannot remember the last time I watched the Academy Awards.  It's been a while.  I don't feel like I've missed anything of value by skipping watching in recent years.  

Wow, so you haven't watched since Bruce Vilanch was still writing for the show?  No wonder some folks still have bad memories that haven't been updated yet.  

To answer Nutkow's question, Crazy-Disney-Hating-Log-Lady aside, there's a general "no politics" rule in place with actors and presenters at the Oscars.  It's tough on the actors, but the producers and directors like to sell the idea that the evening's supposed to be about The Movies.

When Michael Moore went into his "Shame on you, GW Bush!" rant after winning Best Documentary, and was booed by the theater, it's wasn't JUST the political stance they were booing.

(Whoopi Goldberg, OTOH, thinking that an entire monologue of anti-Bill Clinton Monica Lewinsky jokes would sell it with the Hollywood-actor audience, that's another matter...)

The gift bags are given in the hope that a celebrity would be seen \ photographed,  videoed,   with said product thus causing star-crazed fans to say "I need that because Liz has it'.

Oh, ok, that info I did not know. Do fans still behave like that? I thought the adoration had shifted to delusional reality TV stars and recording artists who emulate their bedroom fantasies in music videos.

You want a REAL contest?

Guess which will be said more....

Trump's name during the ceremony, or "Who are you wearing?" during all the needless Red Carpet crap. (in fact, the only "red carpet" that ever interested me was JULIANNE MOORE'S )   ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

It IS getting a bit ridiculous.  They even detained MUHAMMED ALI JR. for two hours in Fort Lauderdale yesterday.

But, like I've said, I haven't been to the movies for a few years now, GRAVITY being the last movie I went to a theater to see, so I'll be totally ignorant of the movies and actors that were nominated, so the best I can say is that at the VERY least, I know I'm NOT in for ANY disappointments.  :)

Sepiatone

Well... that awards ending was... different. :lol:

Are we now positive which was the winner now?

That's exactly what we THOUGHT Jack Nicholson had done when he announced "The Departed" for Best Picture.  Only intentionally.

(But we didn't care, because otherwise, we were all gritting our teeth and sinking in our seats expecting Little Miss Sunshine for Best Picture, and nobody wanted that, any more than they wanted Moonlight.)

In fact, Warren's so crazy by now, I'd thought he'd done it intentionally.

• Like 1

That's exactly what we THOUGHT Jack Nicholson had done when he announced "The Departed" for Best Picture.  Only intentionally.

(But we didn't care, because otherwise, we were all gritting our teeth and sinking in our seats expecting Little Miss Sunshine for Best Picture, and nobody wanted that, any more than they wanted Moonlight.)

In fact, Warren's so crazy by now, I'd thought he'd done it intentionally.

He should stick to robbing banks like he did 50 years ago. Ha ha!

Actually Dunaway made the boo-boo.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings