Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM's Best Month in A LONG TIME!!!

This month's "Summer Under the Stars" has been TCM's best in a long time. I mean, who can forget the ridiculous Bollywood festival back in June? My only disappointment was them showing "In the Line of Fire" for Clint Eastwood, but other than that, this looks like its a VERY good month! And next month, when TCM shows Austin Powers, let's all not watch it. Remember back in March during the "31 Days of Oscar" when they aired all those 90s films complete with the profanity (like "Raging Bull", "When Harry Met Sally", "Dave", "As Good As It Gets", etc.), didn't you boycott? If TCM airs something like "As Good As It Gets" again, let's boycott. If they get low ratings, TCM will NEVER air them again!

You didn't like In the Line of Fire just because it was made in the last 10 years?

TCM should stop telling its viewers what year a film on their schedule was released so maybe the viewers without an open mind will be able to enjoy a movie for what it is instead of hating it because it wasn't made a century

ago.

TCM will never be like AMC because the network owns MGM, RKO and some Warner movies so even if they do start showing more newer movies (which are just as much classics as any other good movie released no matter if it was silent, pre-code, or anything after), they will always show the ones they own because it doesn't cost them a cent!

So boycott TCM as long as YOU want. I'll be watching. Because when I turn on TCM i expect a great movie and I get it. I'll get mad when they start showing Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959, which *gasp* isnt a good movie even though it was made almost 45 years ago!).

By the way: Raging Bull and When Harry Met Sally are '80's movies. And ones that I enjoyed and hope TCM shows more often.

You didn't like In the Line of Fire just because it was made in the last 10 years?

TCM should stop telling its viewers what year a film on their schedule was released so maybe the viewers without an open mind will be able to enjoy a movie for what it is instead of hating it because it wasn't made a century

ago.

TCM will never be like AMC because the network owns MGM, RKO and some Warner movies so even if they do start showing more newer movies (which are just as much classics as any other good movie released no matter if it was silent, pre-code, or anything after), they will always show the ones they own because it doesn't cost them a cent!

So boycott TCM as long as YOU want. I'll be watching. Because when I turn on TCM i expect a great movie and I get it. I'll get mad when they start showing Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959, which *gasp* isnt a good movie even though it was made almost 45 years ago!).

By the way: Raging Bull and When Harry Met Sally are '80's movies. And ones that I enjoyed and hope TCM shows more often.

Thank god boycotts don't break out as often as some on this board suggest. TCM would think we didn't like them.

I agree about In the Line of Fire. Even though it's better than most of TCM's lineup from any year, it's also easy for me to find elsewhere.

Even with a small and specific group of fans, they're not going to please everyone. Take the bad with the good rather than calling for a boycott whenever the schedule isn't exactly what you wanted. We're going to need that tactic if TCM ever really does go downhill.

I don't want to sound like sour grapes. I really am looking forward to the movies shown this month, but I wish they would of revolved Sunday's schedule around Silent Sunday Night instead of The Essentials. I found the Peter O'Toole day very boring. I really am not looking forward to a whole day devoted to Doris Day, Lana Turner, and half of the Steve McQueen movies. I would of liked a day devoted to Burt Lancaster, Marlon Brando, or Paul Newman instead!

Absolutely! This is one of TCM best months. My VCR is working long hours this August. I do agree with Nick about the Peter O'Toole day. With Lawrence of Arabia and The Bridge on the River Kwai, I would've liked to see a day for Sir Alec Guinness, but nonetheless, TCM has hit the jackpot this month. Also, does it bother anybody that spell check points out "TCM" as a misspelled word?

I really think this month is going to be awesome too! Because I'm still in my teens, I don't really know anything about the great actors/actresses of years passed. I was really excited to find that they have "intimate portrait" type shows giving the bio on them. Although I'm kind of bummed I missed the Joan Crawford one, I'm really excited about this month. TCM is awesome!!!!

I'm also happy with the lineup this month. I think it was a great idea on TCM's part, to have each day devoted to a star. Today I was thrilled with all of the Fred Astaire films. My only beef is that they don't have a day devoted to Norma Shearer, and, plus, her birthday is this month, and normally TCM would show some of her films on that day, as they do with many stars, but not this time. I'm a little disappointed about that. I would've gladly traded the Steve McQueen day for a day of Norma Shearer, who was a REAL star.

I'm very happy with the Summer Under the Stars month, but wish that such events wouldn't have to preempt either/both the Sunday silent and Friday Night foreign film. We get so few titles in these genres during the year as it is, with Oscar month already preempting both of these, and then Bollywood films being the only allowable foreign selections for another month. Since both of these features are aired during the twilight hours anyway, I don't understand why keeping them on the schedule would be so "intrusive."

I think the special features this month are wonderful, and I can hardly wait till Bette's day. As rabid as a Davis fan as I am, there are some of the films on her days schedule I have never seen, and am looking forward to finally seeing them. I actually have the day off from work on "Bette Day", so it will be twice as sweet. Fasten your seatbelts!!!

I'm sorry, but it seems like a no-brainer to me that if you don't care for a movie being shown on TCM, the solution is to not watch it. What's the sense in boycotting TCM over one silly movie?

And, can anyone tell me why it has become so fashionable to engage in "trash talk" if you can't think of something positive or nice to say and you simply can't practice holding your tongue?

TCM has never disappointed me, but this other stuff I see on these boards certainly has.

Archived