Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another Long Lost Colleen Moore Movie found in Holland!

I tried to share this news the other day, but the link apparently didn't work? Anyway, We have confirmation now that EYE Institute of Film Netherlands in Amsterdam Holland has 6 reels of the long lost Colleen Moore feature OH KAY! (1928). Does not state "Complete" on the LOC Silent Film Survival Data Base, just mentions the 6 presumably in-tact reels. When I checked on the site back in December with regards to this title, the page still read "No Holdings In Any Archive". I knew this was incorrect, since I had heard about a chunk of OH KAY! having been discovered at least 2 or 3 years ago. Just lacked details on the by who and where of the matter?

Print appears to be tinted and in very good condition. Here is an actual capture frame. EYE has certainly been great about restoring films, but truly dreadful when it comes to getting them on Television or released on DVD/Blu-ray. Nevertheless, this title probably has a much better chance of being seen sooner then NAUGHTY BUT NICE (complete print in Barcelona Spain archive) does considering the archive location alone. These guys EYE have recovered literally dozens of films previously believed lost forever! They have been a Godsend. TCM justly needs to honor this organization like they have several of the other better known archives. A whole evening or even entire month of programming at some point is called for!

16831992_10212521513543074_1725519067374
I would consider the title a rather significant find. Based on a famous Broadway Musical, big name director, (Mervyn Leroy) and Colleen at the peak of her career. In addition, if there are any rabid Lawrence Gray or Ford Sterling fans out there, they are both in it too! With the recovery of OH KAY!, this means that only HAPPINESS AHEAD is still missing from Colleen's entire 1927-28 movie output. We do have an intriguing Trailer. Cross your fingers that picture might be located as well. Too expound on this even further with the exception of the 2 plus missing reels of ELLA CINDERS, only 2 of Colleen's films from 1926 -1928 are unaccounted for. The other being IT MUST BE LOVE (1926). The story is not so good for her 1924-'25 features. None of the 7 films she made during this period have been found as far as I know so far. That is save for the first 3 reels of THE PERFECT FLAPPER which does survive at the LOC.
  • Like 4

I'm so happy to hear of this. It seems like more and more of her films are being discovered.

The only problem is that other than the occasional film festival most of us viewers can't see these

rare gems. I was surprised when Why Be Good was put on the market so soon after restoration but I had hoped that this would be the case with some of her other films. Sadly this wasn't the case. What about Orchids and Ermine, Her Wild Oat, Synthetic Sin and Lilac Time?  TCM dropped Lilac Time from its October schedule and never re-scheduled it.  They plan to show Ella Cinders at 6am in the morning on their May schedule but I'll bet this film will also be dropped from their schedule.

I agree with gagman66 that TCM should showcase some of the archives that have restored/and or stored these films. They used to have an occasional visit of reps from The George Eastman House, The Library Of Congress and the  UCLA Film archives with an evening of rare films from those archives vaults. What happened to that?  Did the budget cuts at TCM cancel out these special presentations?

• Like 2

TCM stopped having their annual (every January, I believe) broadcast of a restored silent with a new musical score composed by a selected young composer in a contest the better part of a decade ago. Too costly for them, I assume.

It was a yearly treat I always eagerly anticipated.

These days they seem to tease us with announcements of rare treats that usually seem to get cancelled - without a word from the channel afterward to let its viewers know what happened.

I hope Ella Cinders doesn't go the same route as Lilac Time and the others.

I was particularly frustrated when the extraordinarily rare Trick for Trick was on the TCM schedule, then withdrawn without a word.

• Like 3

Mightnight08, Everyone,

Here is a link to an intrquing article about a rare 35 millimeter screening of ORCHIDS AND ERMINE (1927) that took place just last month. The BFI (British Film Institute), recently restored this title and TWINKLETOES (1926) from it's archive. Both films have been touring art houses. I do not know if the BFI print of TWINKLETOES contains the original or perhaps I should say alternate ending or not? Three different endings for the picture were produced. I had hoped that TCM might pick up one or both of these films.

http://ithankyouarthur.blogspot.com/2017/01/brunette-ambition-orchids-and-ermine.html

To the best of my knowledge, 3 of the original Firn 'a phone scoring discs to LILAC TIME (1928) are still missing. However, all 11 reels have been accounted for in 35 millimeter. There have been a number of 35 millimeter live screenings in the past few years. For decades only an abridged 16 millimeter version was in general circulation. Warner's has intimated that they are interested in restoring this title, but they are hoping the remainder of the scoring discs turn up someplace. At least that was the story the last that I had heard.

SYNTHETIC SIN (1929) was restored a few years ago by Warner's and The Vita-phone project. Unfortunately, it is missing all of the Vita-phone scoring discs, with the exception of the final reel. Although the complete score survives on paper. There has been on again of again talk of Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks Orchestra recreating the rest of the score with a new recording. Alas, that remains just talk at the stage. Nothing has yet come of it. This picture has been touring live venues all over the world the past few years.

HER WILD OAT (1927) - The story here is very frustrating. The Academy Film Archive at AMPAS in Hollywood restored this film in 35 millimeter over a decade ago. Way back 2006. Spending over $80,000.00 on the project. Print was recovered from the Czech Archive at Prague. It has been screened quite a bit all over the world at live venues, but has never made it to DVD or been shown on TCM.

That being said, I am trying to get the AFA to likewise restore NAUGHTY BUT NICE (1927). A complete print was found in the Barcelona Spanish Archive back in 2009. The film is notable as the first appearance of a 14 year old "Loretta Young" newly christened that name by Colleen Moore. She had previously been known as Gretchen Young.

There are complete 35 millimeter archival prints of IRENE (1926). Alas, the Two-Color Technicolor Fashion Show sequence that runs a full-reel is badly faded. This film is certainly long overdue for a comprehensive and loving restoration.

2 full reels are still missing from the surviving Kodascope of ELLA CINDERS (1926). No 35 Millimeter materials are known to exist. Since this film is Public-domain Eric Grayson, Jeff Codori, Jeffrey Nelson, and myself were planning a Kickstarter to make a new transfer from a first generation Kodascope at the LOC. We planned to include an extensive stills reconstruction to bridge the gaps of the missing scenes and title-cards. 

Speaking of Mr. Grayson, he has painstakingly restored Colleen's first Starring feature 1918's LITTLE ORPHANT' ANNIE from 4 incomplete prints at the LOC and another archive. There have already been a few screenings, but this will be coming out on a limited edition DVD and Blu-ray possibly as soon as the late Spring. With any luck it might be shown on TCM as well.

Colleen Moore Biographer Jeff Codori is trying to convince the Museum Of Modern Art to embrace a possible Kickstarter fund raiser project to get BROKEN CHAINS (1922) out on DVD and Blu-ray. Jeff has seen the film and it is among his favorites. George Eastman House recently restored another 1922 feature COME ON OVER which has been seen at festivals.

• Like 3

I'm so happy to hear of this. It seems like more and more of her films are being discovered.

The only problem is that other than the occasional film festival most of us viewers can't see these

rare gems. I was surprised when Why Be Good was put on the market so soon after restoration but I had hoped that this would be the case with some of her other films. Sadly this wasn't the case. What about Orchids and Ermine, Her Wild Oat, Synthetic Sin and Lilac Time?  TCM dropped Lilac Time from its October schedule and never re-scheduled it.  They plan to show Ella Cinders at 6am in the morning on their May schedule but I'll bet this film will also be dropped from their schedule.

I agree with gagman66 that TCM should showcase some of the archives that have restored/and or stored these films. They used to have an occasional visit of reps from The George Eastman House, The Library Of Congress and the  UCLA Film archives with an evening of rare films from those archives vaults. What happened to that?  Did the budget cuts at TCM cancel out these special presentations?

More than likely. Where is all this Backlot money going? I'm not seeing it in programming.

• Like 1

On the positive side, Flicker Alley has recently released a Blu ray/DVD restoration of 1927's CHILDREN OF DIVORCE, starring Clara Bow, Esther Ralston and Gary Cooper. The combo pack is pretty pricey, though.

I don't know if TCM has any kind of relationship with Flicker Alley but it would be lovely if they were to get broadcast rights to this hitherto extremely rare silent.

Sourced from the original nitrate negative held by the Library of Congress, as well as their 1969 fine grain master, this new restoration of Children of Divorce was scanned in 4K resolution, and represents over 200 hours of laboratory work by the Library of Congress in order to create the best version possible. Though some deterioration remains, this is the first time the film has ever been released on home video, allowing audiences to enjoy a rare viewing of classic performances from two of early cinema’s most recognizable stars.

425213796.jpg

• Like 1

On the positive side, Flicker Alley has recently released a Blu ray/DVD restoration of 1927's CHILDREN OF DIVORCE, starring Clara Bow, Esther Ralston and Gary Cooper. The combo pack is pretty pricey, though.

I don't know if TCM has any kind of relationship with Flicker Alley but it would be lovely if they were to get broadcast rights to this hitherto extremely rare silent.

Sourced from the original nitrate negative held by the Library of Congress, as well as their 1969 fine grain master, this new restoration of Children of Divorce was scanned in 4K resolution, and represents over 200 hours of laboratory work by the Library of Congress in order to create the best version possible. Though some deterioration remains, this is the first time the film has ever been released on home video, allowing audiences to enjoy a rare viewing of classic performances from two of early cinema’s most recognizable stars.

425213796.jpg

TomJH,

Yes, CHILDREN OF DIVORCE was released back in December. I got my copy in the pre-order special direct from Flicker Alley for just S20.00 plus shipping. I think it's like $35.00 or something now. It contains both a DVD and Blu-ray. I was hoping for the 2012 BBC Documentary Clara Bow : "Hollywood's Lost Love Goddess" as an extra. Alas, Flicker Alley apparently was not able to obtain the rights. But it does include the 1999 Documentary "Discovering The It Girl".

Frankly, It amazes me when people complain about Flicker Alley product being expensive. You pay extra for a quality restoration of a rare film. DVD's and Blu-ray's have so devalued the cost of movies it is absurd. Back In 1979 I paid roughly $65.00 for an in-complete Super 8 Millimeter Silent (no scoring track) release of Harold Lloyd's THE FRESHMAN from Blackhawk films. When VHS and Beta first came out most releases both old movies and new were around $50.00 to $60.00 a piece! Some were over Two hundred bucks! What's more It stayed that way for about the first 5 or 6 years of these formats. People are spoiled by three and four dollar bargain bins at shopping malls. I have mentioned COD to TCM Programmer Chuck Tabesh many times in the past long before it finally became available. I believe there is a good chance that TCM will license this picture. Assuming they can get consent from Paramount? I was once told by Mr. Tabesh that Paramount owned Silents needed to be licensed through Paramount and not through a third party. One of the reasons we never saw the restored UNDERWORLD (1927) or THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK on TCM when they were released by Criterion by arrangement with Paramount. With any luck, CHILDREN OF DIVORCE might get a Prime-time Premiere in the Summer or Fall.

Incidentally, I wouldn't mind seeing them finally run DeMille's CHICAGO (Pathe, 1927) with Phyllis Haver either. It's been on DVD from Flicker Alley since 2011. This is one of the most beautifully preserved Silents around anywhere. Transferred from an original near-flawless nitrate print found in the DeMille vault. I still can't believe TCM has never shown it! In-fact, I recommend that TCM consider CHICAGO (1927) to replace STELLA DALLAS (1925) which was unexpectedly yanked from the TCM Classic Film Festival. It fits much better with the event's "Make 'Em Laugh" theme. Not really a comedy, but with some very funny moments. Maybe a "Dark Comedy" would be a good term. Plus Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra has preformed their score to the picture live many times at other venues. 

• Like 2

TomJH,

Yes, CHILDREN OF DIVORCE was released back in December. I got my copy in the pre-order special direct from Flicker Alley for just S20.00 plus shipping. I think it's like $35.00 or something now. It contains both a DVD and Blu-ray. I was hoping for the 2012 BBC Documentary Clara Bow : "Hollywood's Lost Love Goddess" as an extra. Alas, Flicker Alley apparently was not able to obtain the rights. But it does include the 1999 Documentary "Discovering The It Girl".

Frankly, It amazes me when people complain about Flicker Alley product being expensive. You pay extra for a quality restoration of a rare film. DVD's and Blu-ray's have so devalued the cost of movies it is absurd. Back In 1979 I paid roughly $65.00 for an in-complete Super 8 Millimeter Silent (no scoring track) release of Harold Lloyd's THE FRESHMAN from Blackhawk films. When VHS and Beta first came out most releases both old movies and new were around $50.00 to $60.00 a piece! Some were over Two hundred bucks!

Well, Gagman, you are correct about that fact that many of us are spoiled by bargain priced DVDs. I can remember back in the early video tape days paying out $100 for both Gone With the Wind and Friendly Persuasion, films we can now get for less than $20 on DVD in infinitely superior images.

I live in Canada, and the dirt cheapest price for Children of Divorce from any supplier on amazon.ca today is $44, plus shipping. Called me spoiled. I'm not ready to pay that kind of money. However, I gather that you were pleased by the image of this item from Flicker Alley (I had paid for their Valentino collection DVD a few years ago, which includes Moran of the Lady Letty). I recall being pleased with my purchase.

• Like 1

Would love to see that one! About the only Clara Bow we ever see on TCM is IT. And that's rarely. :(

You're so right. In the 20+ years I've had TCM they've shown "It" a few times. They showed "The Wild Party" only once in 1999 and

"Down To The Sea In Ships"  a few times.  A few years ago they showed "Call Her Savage" for the first and only time (and at 2:15am).

That's pretty bad for such a well known famous icon. All her talkies survive along with several silents.

• Like 1

You're so right. In the 20+ years I've had TCM they've shown "It" a few times. They showed "The Wild Party" only once in 1999 and

"Down To The Sea In Ships"  a few times.  A few years ago they showed "Call Her Savage" for the first and only time (and at 2:15am).

That's pretty bad for such a well known famous icon. All her talkies survive along with several silents.

Midnight08,

Let's not forget about WINGS (1927). Although that isn't shown all that often either. Was left off of 31 days of Oscar this year. There are beautiful restorations of MANTRAP (1926) from the Treasures From The American Film Archive Volume 5  "Treasures West" DVD set. and Also HULA (1927) Directed by Victor Fleming that are available. For whatever reason TCM's hasn't picked those up.

• Like 1

For whatever reason TCM's hasn't picked those up.

Maybe it's only offered in a package combined with with NBNW, MEET ME IN ST LOUIS and the Bowery Boys and TCM just decides it's not worth hearing THOSE complaints!

(I understand CASABLANCA is one of the most expensive titles to rent, and is always packaged along with dull chestnuts)