Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Assisted Living

novatom

We just moved my mother into an assisted living facility in Conn. just outside of Hartford. The cable carrier there is Cox. At home in No. Va., I get TCM as part of a basic FiOS package but when I checked out my mother's cable system it wasn't there, and they told me that it was only part of a "movies package" that would cost an extra $26 a month! I couldn't believe it! All we wanted was TCM, we didn't want any other premium channels. At 87 years old, TCM is one of the very few channels my mother consistently enjoys. 

Cox is ripping off their customers in Conn. (and probably elsewhere, i don't know). I know they don't target specific locations but it almost seems like they're price gouging their customers, especially the elderly. 

• Like 1

We just moved my mother into an assisted living facility in Conn. just outside of Hartford. The cable carrier there is Cox. At home in No. Va., I get TCM as part of a basic FiOS package but when I checked out my mother's cable system it wasn't there, and they told me that it was only part of a "movies package" that would cost an extra $26 a month! I couldn't believe it! All we wanted was TCM, we didn't want any other premium channels. At 87 years old, TCM is one of the very few channels my mother consistently enjoys. 

Cox is ripping off their customers in Conn. (and probably elsewhere, i don't know). I know they don't target specific locations but it almost seems like they're price gouging their customers, especially the elderly. 

I have Comcast/Xfinity, live in North Florida, and they also have TCM on a "higher tier" of channels that requires additional money per month for that package. TCM has never been on basic cable here, unfortunately.

Same for me. I had to "upgrade" to expanded basic cable just to get TCM. I used quotes for the word upgrade because for the extra money, it seems that outside of TCM, all I got added were reality TV channels and infomercial channels.

One of the many reasons I left cable long ago. They seem so desperate that now they take everything you might actually want to watch, and place it on a higher tier.

One wonders why at this point do they even have tiers ??

Of course a station like TCM has to be on a higher tier since TCM doesn't make any revenue from 3rd party advertising.

THAT is the point of the tiers.    I'm very surprised you don't know that.     In some ways one should be happy that TCM is on the 'middle' tier instead of on the HBO level tier.

That's a shame that the cable company is doing that. but they aren't alone, most of the big cable companies do it too. While each company negotiates it's own deal with program providers, it's general knowledge that, of that extra $26, TCM only gets between 25 and 50 cents per subscriber each month.

My cable server is WOW(Wide Open West) and TCM has always been in their "basic" package.  So far.

And also so far, the only thing I need to "upgrade" to get is the "on-screen caller ID".  Them claiming that customer disinterest at my level is why.  :rolleyes:

NOVATOM:   I'd check with COX  about that $26 charge.  They might not actually be asking that much, and it might be the facility  that's asking the gouging price.  Say, Cox might only want an extra $12 and the facility pockets the difference.  I don't put anything past those places.

Sepiatone

My cable server is WOW(Wide Open West) and TCM has always been in their "basic" package.  So far.

And also so far, the only thing I need to "upgrade" to get is the "on-screen caller ID".  Them claiming that customer disinterest at my level is why.  :rolleyes:

NOVATOM:   I'd check with COX  about that $26 charge.  They might not actually be asking that much, and it might be the facility  that's asking the gouging price.  Say, Cox might only want an extra $12 and the facility pockets the difference.  I don't put anything past those places.

Sepiatone

There was an instance where I was staying in a hospital recovery room that had pay-to-use TVs, one per bed.  My roommate was discharged so I was moved to another room.  The TV in my old room was apparently used by someone else after I had left.  I got a bill from a third-party company for about $50 later on.  I called them up and told them I was moved to another room and it wasn't me.  They "granted me a one-time courtesy" and dropped the charges.  That's just stupid expensive for a day's worth of TV viewing, no matter what planet you are on.  Extortion. 

So in that, I'd also consider third, fourth, or fifth-party "value-adding" entities.  Nothing to do with the cable or satellite provider, and maybe not even the assisted living home, except for allowing TV vendors to set up shop in there just so they can fleece the patients and their families.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings