Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Morgan Freeman 80th bday tribute in June?

CrisR

I first started seeing Morgan Freeman movies on flights going to France.

When I went to South Korea it was even a longer flight and they had one of his movies on.

The first time I went to Japan, they had one of his movies on.

Morgan Freeman co-starred with all these other big movie stars like Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford and Denzel Washington. BUT he always stole the scenes from them and I could never take my eyes away from him.

After that, I always thought of Morgan Freeman as my lucky charm when I was flying over all those miles of oceans.

His face and voice were certainly very comforting. These two Great attributes have certainly endeared to all his fans all over the world.

• Like 1

I remember him from THE ELECTRIC COMPANY  which he doesn't think about much these days as part of his legacy. 

I know he has a longer filmography than I'm familiar with, but as many of them are him in supporting roles, I suppose those in which those roles have more of his presence in them( despite a supporting role) would be good choices. 

TCM has  shown DRIVING MISS DAISY before, so I'm sure it would make the cut,  but I wouldn't know where to begin as far as any others.

Sepiatone

I'd vote for "The Shawshank Redemption," "Glory," "Lean on Me," "Invictus" and "Street Smart."

By the way, he's amazing early on in "Brubaker" as a berserk prisoner opposite Robert Redford's title character -- the undercover warden posing as a new inmate.

Brubaker%20Morgan%20Freeman.jpg

The only Morgan Freeman movie I can think of that airs with any regularity on TCM is Marie: a True Story, an MGM release from 1985 that stars Sissy Spacek and Jeff Daniels and which, despite its big-name cast, has a very made-for-TV movie feel to it. A pre-stardom Freeman has a small part as a corrupt state parole board official. If TCM could scrounge up enough films to make a night's worth of Freeman programming, I could almost guarantee this would be one of them.

Before reading this thread, it had never occurred to me how little of Freeman we see on this network, but Driving Miss Daisy last aired four years ago; Unforgiven last aired nine years ago, and The Shawshank RedemptionMillion Dollar Baby and Street Smart have never aired on TCM. So, I'm thinking a Freeman tribute night is highly unlikely.

TCM did just show Brubaker for the first time ever during its prison movie showcase in January. Maybe that's a film they have the rights to for a certain period of time and could use again in a pinch. I don't pretend I really have insider info about how this stuff works, but it appears that sometimes they have a window of time of several months during which they can air a certain out-of-library movie. I remember last year when TCM showed Young Frankenstein again just a few days after its initial airing for a hastily assembled Gene Wilder tribute night, and here it is about to come around again for 31 Days. So, that appears to be a Fox film TCM has the rights to air a certain number of times during a window of six months or whatever. Maybe there's a similar situation with Brubaker, also a Fox film. 

So, maybe a double feature of Marie and Brubaker, and we could call that a Morgan Freeman night, even though he has small parts in both of them.

Before reading this thread, it had never occurred to me how little of Freeman we see on this network, but Driving Miss Daisy last aired four years ago; Unforgiven last aired nine years ago, and The Shawshank RedemptionMillion Dollar Baby and Street Smart have never aired on TCM. So, I'm thinking a Freeman tribute night is highly unlikely.

TCM has shown "Glory" a couple of times during the past year. It was included in the annual Memorial Day marathon in May.

Ooh, Glory! Boy for some reason, I completely forgot about Freeman being in that one. Probably because it's such a vehicle for Denzel Washington, one of the films that helped launch his stardom. Yes, it does show up on TCM regularly. They could definitely show that one. Sorry for leaving it out.

As for Driving Miss Daisy, I'm using MovieCollectorOH's indispensable database as my resource. It says TCM's most recent airing of that film was May, 2013.

"Lean on Me" (1989) is the story of Joe Clark, the controversial principal of an inner-city high school in Paterson, New Jersey. Clark's unorthodox methods even earned him a 1988 Time magazine cover (pictured below).

Directed by Oscar-winner John G. Avildsen ("Rocky"), "Lean on Me" was a breakthrough film for Freeman in a watershed year for his career. He also appeared in "Driving Miss Daisy" and "Glory" nine months after this first significant star vehicle was released.

1101880201_400.0.jpg

Here's my favorite scene from "Lean on Me":

• Like 1

Unless I missed seeing it somehow, no one has yet mentioned Morgan Freeman's top billed performance as the old pro cop who's partnered with a brash young one played by Brad Pitt, both of whom are in search of a sadistic serial killer in one of the best and most chilling thrillers made in the past few decades...1995's Se7en.

(...this one should be included in any Freeman tribute, I'd say...although, for those who have never seen this one, just be sure to have a strong stomach)

Unless I missed seeing it somehow, no one has yet mentioned Morgan Freeman's top billed performance as the old pro cop who's partnered with a brash young one played by Brad Pitt, both of whom are in search of a sadistic serial killer in one of the best and most chilling thrillers made in the past few decades...1995's Se7en.

(...this one should be included in any Freeman tribute, I'd say...although, for those who have never seen this one, just be sure to have a strong stomach)

It's No. 2 on the video list of Freeman's Top 10 performances I posted earlier. Denzel Washington recently lamented the fact that he turned down the dramas "Michael Clayton" and "Se7en," although he didn't say whether he was offered the Freeman role or the Brad Pitt part in the latter film.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a fantastic performance by Freeman, and one that shows Pitt is capable of being more than a pretty face.

And throwing in KEVIN SPACEY didn't hurt either.  But I do agree...

The squeamish should watch it with a bucket at hand.   :huh:

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings